Bob Iger on CNBC/SDL Opening News thread

RSoxNo1

Some early thoughts after watching coverage thus far:

Bob Iger hasn't learned a thing about tempering his arrogance. That might be endearing on Wall Street, but it doesn't play as well in China. Oh, and there are a few analysts who aren't feeling the love for Bob or the company right now.

While early visitors seem to like the park, there are lots of complaints from food prices (Shanghai isn't like any other market Disney has opened in) to waits (watched a Bloomberg report with a woman talking about waiting two hours for a turkey leg and numerous people complaining about waits for attractions). Yes, it would appear the park is woefully short of people-eaters (like a certain Spirit has been saying). I guess we know what those huge walkways are for: frustrated visitors.

Disney is sending loads of western media from the entertainment and business sectors, as well as celebrities, over to Shanghai. Apparently, the government has been told that Shanghai as a tourist destination (not simply SDL) will be played up earning the official seal of approval.

The one thing I see that I expected -- and love -- is the level of detailing that Bob Weis and his team put into the park. Obviously, far more will miss all of it or most of it, than even WDW Guests ... but that isn't why it is there. Detailing is what made Disney the leader in the business for decades.
Detail is non-linear story telling and adds depth to the environment and experience. Even if guests can't identify what it is that "feels right", they notice it.

RSoxNo1

Not in the USA. And I don't even believe in HK, but I could be wrong.

BTW, have you noticed that for the last year or so it's almost like HKDL doesn't exist? No, not counting Tom Bricker's blog ...
Mongello did an hour and 45 minute podcast on it...

Speedy71

Some early thoughts after watching coverage thus far:

Bob Iger hasn't learned a thing about tempering his arrogance. That might be endearing on Wall Street, but it doesn't play as well in China. Oh, and there are a few analysts who aren't feeling the love for Bob or the company right now.

While early visitors seem to like the park, there are lots of complaints from food prices (Shanghai isn't like any other market Disney has opened in) to waits (watched a Bloomberg report with a woman talking about waiting two hours for a turkey leg and numerous people complaining about waits for attractions). Yes, it would appear the park is woefully short of people-eaters (like a certain Spirit has been saying). I guess we know what those huge walkways are for: frustrated visitors.

Disney is sending loads of western media from the entertainment and business sectors, as well as celebrities, over to Shanghai. Apparently, the government has been told that Shanghai as a tourist destination (not simply SDL) will be played up earning the official seal of approval.

The one thing I see that I expected -- and love -- is the level of detailing that Bob Weis and his team put into the park. Obviously, far more will miss all of it or most of it, than even WDW Guests ... but that isn't why it is there. Detailing is what made Disney the leader in the business for decades.

To bad refurbs and adding new things isn't.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why it might be decent?

Because I refuse to be part of the Disney hype machine which will claim N million viewers, IF it's good it will be available on you tube soon enough.

As WOPR noted in 'War Games' sometimes the only way to win is to not to play the game.

"Would you like to play a game of Chess..."

Soarin' Over Pgh

Because I refuse to be part of the Disney hype machine which will claim N million viewers, IF it's good it will be available on you tube soon enough.

As WOPR noted in 'War Games' sometimes the only way to win is to not to play the game.

"Would you like to play a game of Chess..."

But I'm sure it'll be something that the class discusses here during and afterwards. Maybe watch just to keep afloat (and an open mind)? Worse that'll happen is your eyes roll back so much you see your brain. Usually happens in my house during a Disney special.

:geek:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But I'm sure it'll be something that the class discusses here during and afterwards. Maybe watch just to keep afloat (and an open mind)? Worse that'll happen is your eyes roll back so much you see your brain. Usually happens in my house during a Disney special.

:geek:

No I'll skip this one as I have a FiOS type internet and cable service so my viewing choices are immediately sent to the headend server and of course the aggregate statistics are reported back to the content provider. I know exactly how the platform operates and in another incarnation I deployed a similar system for a large university.

So I will be ONE less viewer and it will be reported as such. This is one reason Nielson is becoming less relevant because remember Nielson had 10000 'families' with instrumented TV's and that provided the ratings,

Now any VoD capable set top box can report back real time statistics on what people are watching at any given time and it's a major revenue stream for cable providers. This is not tinfoil hat time kiddies it's simply reality, At the university we did NOT sell the stats but we did use them to replace the least popular channels on the system and at least for us ESPN content never broke the top 20. Our 'feed' came from DirectTV as they had the most reasonable licensing model. but we had only 40 channels on the system as the IPTV encoders were expensive to operate and license with a capital E.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom