Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But today dad would have full sleeve tats, mom would have a too short shirt displaying a tramp stamp and whale tail (yes, I am a gawking gopher), junior would be wearing a "Who Farted?" T-shirt, the two youngest would be ensconced in Bytch 1 and Bytch 2 t-shirts all complaining that they need to hurry to get to the California Grill for an ADR.

Is it me or has society devolved?

No society has devolved.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Taking that as a given Why in the heck then is TWDC closing attractions left right and center at DHS and charging full price for a much diminished experience. Budgets and 114 per share stock notwithstanding this kind of stuff is usually only seen at companies in deep financial trouble.

Last years closing 5 major attractions, This year we are on track for what 3 majors and 2-3 minor attractions and still nothing but more closures... And now we hear that the budget cutting is in full swing at the supposed cash cow ESPN. Makes one wonder if the the next step at WDW is the bankruptcy auction of the 'Assets Of The Walt Disney Company' because the 'Going out of Business' vibe at WDW is unmistakable.
This kind of stuff is seen at all kinds of companies, not just those "in deep financial trouble". This is one piece of one piece of the company. Not quite immaterial in terms of operations, but not far from it. It's not a sign of health, but it's not a sign of impending doom either.

As for charging full price for a much diminished experience, I agree that's what Disney is doing at DHS. As for why, because they can. They've thrown in some temporary things, and rested on their laurels to coast ahwhile while planning for what's next. Disrespectful to guests? Yes. Overpriced park? Yes. Financial ruin for the company? The opposite. The fact that Disney can get away with this means that the overhaul is cheaper than it would otherwise have been if they needed to keep more of the park open while they work on it.

And you are correct -- it makes "one" wonder about bankruptcy. That one is you.

gmajew

Premium Member
I would happily take GotG over Indy. Just make a great ride Disney, no cheaping out. Especially since it's pretty much the only thing Marvel they can use aside from BH6.

They can use GOTG? I thought that it was tied to the Avengers in the Comics and for that reason they can not. Based on the movies the story arch is attached as just with the infinity stones.

BrerJon

I would happily take GotG over Indy. Just make a great ride Disney, no cheaping out. Especially since it's pretty much the only thing Marvel they can use aside from BH6.

Almost certainly he means Disneyland. Plenty of rumours floating around that Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (or a similar indoor launch coaster) is to be built in DCA with a Guardians theme.

asianway

They can use GOTG? I thought that it was tied to the Avengers in the Comics and for that reason they can not. Based on the movies the story arch is attached as just with the infinity stones.
The 70s GotG are, but the ones from the movie and current comics are not.

Kind of dicey but I think most reasonable people would say they are not.

Now, once Infinity War drops and there's some massive team up? Who knows

El Grupo

No. Every generation thinks the younger generation is wild, degenerate and lazy, regardless if the opposite is actually true.

Exactly. I'm sure grandparents in the 1950s (adults born around 1900) thought the teens watching James Dean & Marlon Brando, going to the Drive-In, wearing khakis (yes, khakis), and using roller skates, hoola hoops, etc.were absolutely out of control.

El Grupo

Almost certainly he means Disneyland. Plenty of rumours floating around that Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (or a similar indoor launch coaster) is to be built in DCA with a Guardians theme.

Interesting. Guess I misunderstood. Seemed like insiders on both coasts had been indicating a Marvels overlay at DCA that features the Avengers.

doctornick

It IS possible that he, like many, mixed up Disneyland with WDW.

True. But there's no particular reason to think that, since GotG can be used at WDW unlike other Marvel properties. As mentioned, they wouldn't be able to use the Marvel name/branding though at WDW.

Also, it could easily be true that GotG goes in both DLR and WDW simultaneously while other Marvel stuff goes into DLR exclusively.

mahnamahna101

It IS possible that he, like many, mixed up Disneyland with WDW.
James Gunn seems too nerdy to mix something up like that. I doubt he'd say WDW instead of Disneyland, and vice versa. It could be coming to both resorts (RnRC rethemed, DL gets the custom version)

I could buy Michael Bay or Tyler Perry or a non-fanboy type director mixing the two resorts up, though. But James Gunn's too passionate about GotG to mislead fans like that. He does his research :)

doctornick

I hope it wouldn't just be a RnRC retheme. What a waste.

Agreed. DHS needs additional rides, not changing existing ones.

That said, I'd be okay with re-theming RNR if the area around RNR became a new land with new offerings. e.g. I've suggested that you could change RNR to a GotG theme and add an Indiana Jones ride to the area and maybe some sort of smaller Big Hero 6 attraction (or at least a M&G) and brand that land as an "Action" area.

Cesar R M

But today dad would have full sleeve tats, mom would have a too short shirt displaying a tramp stamp and whale tail (yes, I am a gawking gopher), junior would be wearing a "Who Farted?" T-shirt, the two youngest would be ensconced in Bytch 1 and Bytch 2 t-shirts all complaining that they need to hurry to get to the California Grill for an ADR.

Is it me or has society devolved?
Pretty sure your parents had the same comments from your grandparents and so on..

Society is more "free" now and people hardly give a carp about what others think of themselves :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom