Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t think you can take the androgyny of someone like Prince and apply modern gender identity labels. Prince didn’t identify as a woman when he wore so-called feminine clothes and he wasn’t an enby who wanted a gender neutral bathroom. He was more subversive about the concept of gender than today’s labels imply.
This is one of the modern ideas that confuses me, we are trying harder than ever to be inclusive while at the same time finding more and more ways to distinguish ourselves as different.

Why does everything need a label? Prince was just Prince, whether he thought of himself as gender fluid should be irrelevant to everyone but him.

lazyboy97o

This is one of the modern ideas that confuses me, we are trying harder than ever to be inclusive while at the same time finding more and more ways to distinguish ourselves as different.

Why does everything need a label? Prince was just Prince, whether he thought of himself as gender fluid should be irrelevant to everyone but him.
I don’t think the point is the label, but to show that some of these new ideas aren’t actually all that new and that a lot of rigid, long standing social constructs have not always been so rigid or long standing.

WDWJoeG

Well, because by creating subgroups you can create victims of group X being oppressed by group Y. This allows political party Z to pander to group X to get their votes. Perpetual division and victimhood are key to this strategy.

This is why the concept of everybody being "Americans" and the "melting pot" is an anathema to them - no power, money, and political advantage in that thinking.

Lilofan

Just FYI, Christina Pushaw, Desantis’ spokesperson, just retweeted an image of her holding up Mickey Mouse’s severed head.

Chris Rufo, one of the main activists behind the assault on public education and a champion of deceptive tactics (a tweet from him appeared earlier in this thread), tweeted “We are waging moral war against Disney. We are directly targeting their public reputation. We are turning half of their customers against them.”

In case it was unclear who wants this fight.
DeSantis spokesperson, Pushaw, even advised a few weeks ago that anyone that opposes the bill is a pedophile. She needs mental help and should be ashamed with her ridiculous comment.

ImperfectPixie

Well, because by creating subgroups you can create victims of group X being oppressed by group Y. This allows political party Z to pander to group X to get their votes. Perpetual division and victimhood are key to this strategy.

This is why the concept of everybody being "Americans" and the "melting pot" is an anathema to them - no power, money, and political advantage in that thinking.
Your comments make zero sense.

If a group chooses to label themselves, it most certainly isn't motivated by what a political party may or may not do.

The only people the "melting pot" is anathema to is those who are against equal rights for all and those who are anti-immigration.

Disney4Lyfe

Another poll. Take it however you want.
poll.png

Angel Ariel

I’m not sure why you seemingly, from the bolded, find the concepts of inclusion and differentiation as opposing things? Inclusion is literally “the practice or policy of providing equal access to opportunities and resources for people who might otherwise be excluded or marginalized.” Those who are excluded and/or marginalized are often, if not mainly, those who are different from the “mainstream” in some way. Being more inclusive essentially necessitates recognizing and accepting each other’s differences.

lazyboy97o

The polls are also unable to bring the nuance and discussion at hand to really see how people feel. I don't think this is an easily polled subject, nor should it be.
That supports rather consistently say the stated intent and reaction to proposed amendments must be ignored, it is clear that there is an awareness that a not insignificant number of people would find the sentiments disagreeable. It still just boggles my mind that supports have to believe the legislation is poorly written but good while those who don’t support it think the legislation was well written.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The polls are also unable to bring the nuance and discussion at hand to really see how people feel. I don't think this is an easily polled subject, nor should it be.
This is the very line of the bill that people around here had a huge issue the other day. Yet, this poll shows majority support for it. There is obviously a trend here with some of this polling whether we want to admit it or not. It shouldn’t be ignored. At the very least, we should understand that close to half or more of people have a problem with educators discussing sexuality with young children and will support certain laws that do not allow it in a school setting.

lazyboy97o

This is the very line of the bill that people around here had a huge issue the other day. Yet, this poll shows majority support for it. There is obviously a trend here with some of this polling whether we want to admit it or not. It shouldn’t be ignored. At the very least, we should understand that close to half or more of people have a problem with educators discussing sexuality with young children and will support certain laws that do not allow it in a school setting.
What d you think polling would say to the idea that we need to stop the spread of gayness?

Vegas Disney Fan

Another poll not presenting the full language or stated intent.
This is what I was talking about when I said… from a PR perspective it doesn’t matter what the bill actually does as much as what people “think” it does.

If this is how it’s being presented, and it’s how the “average joe” understands this bill, then all they see is Disneys taking the opposite side of a bill they agree with.

Since most people haven’t read this bill, and most people haven’t discussed this bill, all they know about it are from the sound bites they get on the news, and now most of that news around this bill also mentions Disney.

lazyboy97o

This is what I was talking about when I said… from a PR perspective it doesn’t matter what the bill actually does as much as what people “think” it does.

If this is how it’s being presented, and it’s how the “average joe” understands this bill, then all they see is Disneys taking the opposite side of a bill they agree with.

Since most people haven’t read this bill, and most people haven’t discussed this bill, all they know about it are from the sound bites they get on the news, and now most of that news around this bill also mentions Disney.
But again, think about what a nonsensical position that is to take. It means the author is bad at writing legislation but very good at public presentation. How does that follow? If you were working to convict someone of a crime and you heard your boss the prosecutor going on about he’s going to get that dirty [insert group] would you not be bothered by that?

Is that language in the bill? No. Will the language in the bill achieve that? Whether you consider gayness as spreadable or not (it’s not of course) the answer is still no. So moving on.
It is the language that explains the reason the bill was created. Why be associated with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom