Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

Liberals believe they should be able to indoctrinate other peoples' kids on any topic at any age with no pushback (and be paid by the taxpayers to do it). And Conservatives believe they (and only they) should control what is taught to their own children regarding sexual orientation (and a multitude of other political divisive topics).
Will you be the first to answer the outstanding question about amendments that would have prohibited a wider range of topics?

And Conservatives want their childrens' educations on sexual orientation to come from sources they (and only they) deem appropriate.
Florida already required students to be exempt from sexual education at the request of their parents. This was not changed.

ImperfectPixie

No, any instruction about heterosexual marriage or romance is banned by the bill. Also banned? A 1st grade teacher telling their student (with two gay dads) that their parents are sexual deviants who are going to go to hell when they die. Do you feel that if a teacher felt like teaching that to their students they should be allowed to? How about if a teacher felt like teaching it's 2nd grade class that a man having three wives is perfectly normal and if their parents don't agree, they are bigots?

This bill is well-designed in that it simply states that a teacher should not and cannot provide instruction on any of it because it is not appropriate for children of that age.
This bill is not well-designed at all specifically because it gives the people with the extreme views in your examples the opportunity to sue.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
The parents of the kids who don't want it taught in the classroom and don't want to pay for it with taxpayer money.
Hi.

Parent, taxpayer, and Floridian here. Who are you to speak for me?

The way the law is written is intentionally vague, to the point where a teacher answering a student's innocent question as to why someone might have two moms could put that teacher in legal trouble.

mkt

Premium Member
This bill is well-designed in that it simply states that a teacher should not and cannot provide instruction on any of it because it is not appropriate for children of that age.
It's poorly designed and vague to the point of potentially being in violation of the fifth and fourteenth amendments (aka, the vagueness doctrine)

AdventureHasAName

Will you be the first to answer the outstanding question about amendments that would have prohibited a wider range of topics?

Why don't we discuss what is in the bill instead of what isn't in the bill?

Florida already required students to be exempt from sexual education at the request of their parents. This was not changed.

Do you acknowledge that some teachers have been caught telling their students to hide what they are being instructed at school from their parents?

AdventureHasAName

Hi.

Parent, taxpayer, and Floridian here. Who are you to speak for me?

The way the law is written is intentionally vague, to the point where a teacher answering a student's innocent question as to why someone might have two moms could put that teacher in legal trouble.
I don't speak for you. Your state legislature speaks for you. They voted to enact this bill. There's nothing vague in the bill; the proper answer for a kindergarten teacher presented with that question is that they should ask their parents.

ImperfectPixie

I don't speak for you. Your state legislature speaks for you. They voted to enact this bill. There's nothing vague in the bill; the proper answer for a kindergarten teacher presented with that question is that they should ask their parents.
Which implies that there is something "off" or "wrong" with the family in question. Kids pick up on that in a huge way.

lazyboy97o

Why don't we discuss what is in the bill instead of what isn't in the bill?
You made a claim about what people want based on how they would want to sit with dead French people. That is not in the bill and is contradicted by the proposed amendments which would have restricted a wider range of subjects.

Do you acknowledge that some teachers have been caught telling their students to hide what they are being instructed at school from their parents?
Especially when it comes to sexual education, that would already be illegal in Florida.

donaldtoo

Again, my post gets deleted…there is no politics allowed on this site, but, yet this ENTIRE thread is political…?!?!?!?!?! :facepalm:
The hypocrisy with the people that run this site is off the charts.
You’re not even being true to your own damn selves.
Again, get a grip.
This thread should have been deleted from minute one, based on your own stated site rules.
But, apparently, those are left up to your own interpretation, as opposed to what’s actually stated about “no politics allowed”…you’re a joke.

mkt

Premium Member
Yes, it's extremely vague.

Terms such as “age appropriate”, “developmentally appropriate", or even "classroom instruction" are not defined. Beyond that, the enforcement method is parents through civil action, and to be frank, I don't want the most prudish of parents filing suit against the same teacher that teaches my student if I have no issue with how they're being taught.

AdventureHasAName

You made a claim about what people want based on how they would want to sit with dead French people. That is not in the bill and is contradicted by the proposed amendments which would have restricted a wider range of subjects.
I literally have no idea what you are talking about (dead french people?), which I assume was the purpose. It's not really conducive to having a discussion on the topic.

AdventureHasAName

Beyond that, the enforcement method is parents through civil action, and to be frank, I don't want the most prudish of parents filing suit against the same teacher that teaches my student if I have no issue with how they're being taught.

That's fine. Two-thirds of your fellow state citizens disagree with you, including the state legislature. That's democracy; sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't.

mkt

Premium Member
That's fine. Two-thirds of your fellow state citizens disagree with you, including the state legislature. That's democracy; sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't.

Don't worry. This will end up being another unconstitutional DeSantis championed law that'll get struck down or completely whittled down to the point of being useless.

First lawsuit in federal court has already been filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom