Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Because they have been misled.
Because the poll was flawed and tainted from day 1.

The company funding the poll is a well known far-right page whose owner has publicly railed against "woke culture", and the methodology involved primarily the use of landline phones, which as a marketer, I can safely tell you, residential users of landline phones tend to lean older and more conservative.

So even dems who answered would be conservative dems.

Lastly, anyone who thinks the democrats are a left wing party is sorely mistaken. Since 1992, it's been a centrist party with a few left leaning elements, but as far as where it goes on the L/R spectrum, is closer to the centrist Reagan-era republicans.

There is no party in the US for the left, which is why I'm a registered independent.

Disney4Lyfe

What was happening? What specific part was happening?

Not that I don't believe you, but you've been on this board for a month. I've been here for 21 years.

I need more than a claim.
In Florida I don't know. I believe this bill was introduced as a preemptive strike against what was happening in other areas of the country.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
In Florida I don't know. I believe this bill was introduced as a preemptive strike against what was happening in other areas of the country.

So, a law was passed in Florida for something that wasn't an issue in Florida.

Exactly, a bogeyman. Excuse me next while I push the Florida legislature to mandate tire chains while driving through mountains in the winter.

Disney4Lyfe

So, a law was passed in Florida for something that wasn't an issue in Florida.

Exactly, a bogeyman. Excuse me next while I push the Florida legislature to mandate tire chains while driving through mountains in the winter.
That doesn’t seem on par.

Again, it’s widely supported by parents. 🤷‍♂️

ImperfectPixie

I don’t see it that way at all. I think most people would agree, K-3 don’t need to be taught about gender identity and sexuality.

The next year the committee began an inquiry of gays among the faculty, staff and students at UF. And in 1959, the committee reported to the Legislature that “homosexual professors were recruiting students into ‘homosexual practices’ and they in turn were becoming teachers in Florida’s public-school system and recruiting even younger students.”

It's the same exact accusation from the 1950s - that teachers are "indoctrinating" and "recruiting".

I realize that is a left-leaning source...but I'm sure if we dug deeper we could find further corroboration, since the part of the article I pulled includes a direct quote.

WDWJoeG

That doesn’t seem on par.

Again, it’s widely supported by parents. 🤷‍♂️
Because it is actually quite simple and the polls all show it. Parents want control of what is taught to their children and, even more importantly, how they are counseled on personal issues.

This bill provides a framework for them to take action against a teacher/school/district, where as before they felt they did not have a structured way to address it.

If these topics (or CRT in other similar bills) are never taught, there is no issue on either side. If they are taught and a parent wants to take action, this allows them a framework to do so and if the case has no merit, they won't win their case.

That is why it polls so highly with parents on all political sides.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don’t see it that way at all.
Of course not. Because the comparison to the Johns Committee is just ridiculous. I would venture to say the poster didn't even recall this committee until I posted the video where the Disney speaker brought it up. Also, given that a Democrat led this effort in the 50s, they can definitely apologize for it if they have not already. Why they (Dems) may now want to use their own past crappiness against Republicans today, I dunno....people remembering the crap (understatement) that came from this committee doesn't mean it relates to today's events, even if they want it to be that way.

ImperfectPixie

Because it is actually quite simple and the polls all show it. Parents want control of what is taught to their children and, even more importantly, how they are counseled on personal issues.

This bill provides a framework for them to take action against a teacher/school/district, where as before they felt they did not have a structured way to address it.

If these topics (or CRT in other similar bills) are never taught, there is no issue on either side. If they are taught and a parent wants to take action, this allows them a framework to do so and if the case has no merit, they won't win their case.

That is why it polls so highly with parents on all political sides.
This is why the bill is a problem. It allows direct action on the part of parents...when there were ALREADY means of dealing with rogue teachers...and it places undue and unfair burden on teachers, schools and districts who are going to have to defend themselves against frivolous lawsuits.

Also, as already noted, the polling methodology was faulty.

ImperfectPixie

Of course not. Because the comparison to the Johns Committee is just ridiculous. I would venture to say the poster didn't even recall this committee until I posted the video where the Disney speaker brought it up. Also, given that a Democrat led this effort in the 50s, they can definitely apologize for it if they have not already. Why they (Dems) may now want to use their own past crappiness against Republicans today, I dunno....people remembering the crap (understatement) that came from this committee doesn't mean it relates to today's events, even if they want it to be that way.
I searched for it because I'd never heard of it before. And I like to verify information gleaned from videos before I take it as fact.

Funny how HB1557 makes the same accusations that the John's Committee was making in the 1950s, isn't it? And that the John's Committee has been on the minds of Florida's lawmakers as recently as 2019?

I don't care which party is/was doing what. The John's Committee was wrong. HB1557 is wrong.

ImperfectPixie

It isn't funny, because it doesn't. They aren't even on the same planet. And I don't even like HB1557.
Please clarify how they're different. I'm genuinely asking...because they read as making the exact same accusation to me.

ETA: Of course, with the exception that the John's Committee investigation included Communists.

Last edited:

HM Spectre

Because being inclusive is always a good business decision.

Especially when you're the state's single largest taxpayer, one of their largest employers (and largest single site employer), and one of the state's largest economic engines. Beyond that, when a large part of your employee base is LGBTQ+ and there's a massive labor shortage in the state, it's good to support your employees.
Except they're not being inclusive here. Playing politics always means taking a side.

The response to a call to political action simply should've been to state that The Walt Disney Company provides family entertainment for everyone and all are welcome.

By being "inclusive" to the political left, they're alienating people on the political right (and based on polling, people in the center as well). No brand is big enough to avoid taking a hit from that, not even the mouse.

Many people who blindly trusted Disney with their children's entertainment based on past reputation and assumed shared values are now going to rethink that relationship and where their entertainment dollars go. It's not going to end up being a good business decision, I promise.

WDWJoeG

Except they're not being inclusive here. Playing politics always means taking a side.

The response to a call to political action simply should've been to state that The Walt Disney Company provides family entertainment for everyone and all are welcome.

By being "inclusive" to the political left, they're alienating people on the political right (and based on polling, people in the center as well). No brand is big enough to avoid taking a hit from that, not even the mouse.

Many people who blindly trusted Disney with their children's entertainment based on past reputation and assumed shared values are now going to rethink that relationship and where their entertainment dollars go. It's not going to end up being a good business decision, I promise.
Exactly. It is also a reflection of the past two years where previously parents blindly trusted their local public schools and teachers (like they have with Disney for generations) and then were actually able to hear/see what was being taught via Zoom. That opened a lot of eyes and is one of the reasons you are seeing these parental rights bills come up all over the country.

This is teaching parents to not just assume what is happening at school or what their kid is watching on Disney+ is appropriate for their age. When my kids were young, I fell into that trap and would put them in front of a Disney VHS movie I hadn't seen and not think twice, but those days are coming to an end as you say.

Disney sold itself for decades on "All-American values" embodied by Walt. It is certainly their right to move toward fringe ideology (refusing to say "boys and girls" and other such nonsense), but that does not come without a corresponding impact to the brand.

Every action has a reaction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom