Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm not sure why Disney is involved in this discussion at all.

Because being inclusive is always a good business decision.

Especially when you're the state's single largest taxpayer, one of their largest employers (and largest single site employer), and one of the state's largest economic engines. Beyond that, when a large part of your employee base is LGBTQ+ and there's a massive labor shortage in the state, it's good to support your employees.

fotofx

Floridian here.

I don't want those laws in my state.

What happened to the formerly moderate and welcome state we used to be?
Have you actually read the full text of the law? Sorry, I feel kids UNDER 9 should be taught about sex education (and any related issues) by their parents, not in school. But again, we can agree to disagree and drop our votes in the box during the next election.

mkt

Premium Member
Have you actually read the full text of the law? Sorry, I feel kids UNDER 9 should be taught about sex education (and any related issues) by their parents, not in school. But again, we can agree to disagree and drop our votes in the box during the next election.
If it ends there then there is no problem, however if you studied history, you would know that laws like this are used to test the waters for more extreme legislation further down the road. You have to stop it now.

Hopefully this law doesn’t survive a challenge in federal court

fotofx

If it ends there then there is no problem, however if you studied history, you would know that laws like this are used to test the waters for more extreme legislation further down the road. You have to stop it now.

Hopefully this law doesn’t survive a challenge in federal court
So you are saying you have no problem with the law, you are just worried it will lead to other laws???

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Children under the age of 9 are NOT taught sex Ed in Florida. They never have been.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Ok so then why are you against the bill saying it should not be taught then if it never has? So this bill will do nothing then, why are you so against it?

Because being more experienced than some on this particular thread how things happen in Florida and being familiar with a few amendments that were withdrawn by the sponsor(s), this bill won't stop there. Teachers are already leaving the profession and now they can be financially liable?

LAKid53

Premium Member
LAKid, you keep saying this, but I assure you, it’s happening. It’s not a huge problem where it’s happening in every classroom. But rest assured, it IS happening.

They may answer a question a child has in a very age appropriate somewhat vague manner...as they are trained to do.

mkt

Premium Member
Curious as to why you area against it.

I'll entertain this.

I'm not against the specifics of this law, since they don't do anything that wasn't already the policy of school districts.

I am against that this is now codified at a state level (vs how this was previously a mostly uniform decision across all school districts in the state), and as history has shown, this is just a "culture war"-type law that is being used by the far-right in Florida as a way to test to water of seeing what they can get away with.

If it ends here, fine. But only if it ends there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom