Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Why does this bill use private lawsuits as an enforcement method?
I'm not an attorney but I believe it's a gimmick to prevent pre-enforcement legal challenge. Nobody can sue Florida because Florida isn't the one enforcing the law, so it can't be challenged in court until and unless it's actually enforced.

I don't like this gamesmanship regardless of the underlying content.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which would parents prefer - education on a topic in a controlled fashion, vetted by relevant professionals who have dedicated their life to child education... or youtube?

Because when you try to ban education - you don't bury a topic - you simply take away a controlled and informed way to get solid information.

Because kids are not going to be hidden from these topics - they will simply get their insights from entertainment, online, and whatever insanity people publish online.

Banning education simply takes away good objective sources - not protect anyone.

Club Cooloholic

I had no idea what “ze” meant and I’m nearly 50. LGB makes sense to everyone, whether you agree or disagree is irrelevant, we all understand what it is and what it means, from T on though is very confusing, even for adults. How are elementary kids expected to comprehend concepts like this?

We aren’t dealing with explaining 2 dads or 2 moms, that’s easy, that’s a simple talk about love comes in many forms… we’re talking about changing gender, altering anatomy, taking drugs to permanently alter your hormones, preferred pronouns, etc. It’s a subject adults struggle to comprehend, there’s no way most elementary kids can comprehend it so all it does is create confusion.

It’s sad that gender has been interwoven with LGB because they are separate things and the LGB community is getting drug into a battle that has little to nothing to do with them.
Yeah, but this bill means a teacher can get in trouble by addressing the "simple talk about love comes in many forms" issue.

CaptainAmerica

Which would parents prefer - education on a topic in a controlled fashion, vetted by relevant professionals who have dedicated their life to child education... or youtube?

Because when you try to ban education - you don't bury a topic - you simply take away a controlled and informed way to get solid information.

Because kids are not going to be hidden from these topics - they will simply get their insights from entertainment, online, and whatever insanity people publish online.

Banning education simply takes away good objective sources - not protect anyone.
It's a K-3 bill man. I have no illusions that I'm going to keep my kids off the internet forever, but I'm very confident I can keep them off of YouTube until they're 8.

JohnD

I told you the author and gave what I believe is a direct quotation. You should be able to find it based on that if you'd like to examine it yourself.

Plenty of authors offered an amendment but you didn't tell me the author. The entire history is there. You want me to discuss it. I'm not doing your research for you. You present it. I'll discuss it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a K-3 bill man. I have no illusions that I'm going to keep my kids off the internet forever, but I'm very confident I can keep them off of YouTube until they're 8.

You sound like the Mom that says 'oh my child would never do that...'

The day I found my kid looking up how to beat a zelda level on youtube completely on their own without any suggestion from me at all (or even showing her that people did this kind of walk-through, or even where to look) I realized they know far more than you realize.

And that was like 10 years ago.

And don't forget... kids don't just hear things from kids THEIR age. 3rd graders are intermixed with 5th graders, etc etc etc.

RunningKoen

Excellent perspective!

Unfortunately we don’t have this level of trust here in the states. We locked kids out of schools for months and in some cases years. Millions of kids dropped out and have not come back. We have a crisis of literacy. It’s a mess.

To this specific topic…Wether folks want to admit it or not. There is a lot of questionable instruction happening in our schools. I seem to recall a Florida School Board member taking a group of very young children to a gay bar, where the menu was assuredly not age appropriate. I could also start linking some very inappropriate lessons and messages from Teachers that have inexplicably been posted to social media, I won’t do it publicly here, but if you’d like I can aim you in the right direction in a private message.

There has also been a concerted effort to keep parents out of schools. Which as a teacher myself, was a HUGE mistake. And now there has been massive blowback. Look to the Virginia election if you don’t believe me.

I appreciate your outlook, and I so wish we could have that type of school situation here. Sounds quite idyllic. But you Nordic countries have earned quite a bit more trust then your American counterparts. Especially the last 2+ years!
We have locked our schools aswell and are also dealing with the aftermath. Our education isn't flawless either :)

One thing it did learn us how important the social function of a school is. I am again pleading for a full understandig how much needed the contact with other peers and views is. The school as a place where off all society can be experienced and explained, regardless of age and topic, is a must.

I know you refuse to say what state you live in. But I have NEVER heard of such a thing as you are describing.
Doing a grade again after the age of 6/7 is a rare thing. Before that, no problem and almost regular, but once the process of learning and writing has fully started, it often has more downsides than benefits. Actually refusing while parent and mabye kid had a clear wish to so, sounds a bit harsh.

How old are your current kids, if you dont mind sharing?

ImperfectPixie

Plenty of authors offered an amendment but you didn't tell me the author. The entire history is there. You want me to discuss it. I'm not doing your research for you. You present it. I'll discuss it.
Here's the bill text. https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sect...ocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=1557&Session=2022

Here's the text of the amendment in question. https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sect...tType=Amendments&BillNumber=1557&Session=2022

Here's an article with direct quotes of the conversation that took place. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article258886088.html

Bill in Atlanta

The purpose of this bill is to delegitimize gay people,
I don't think it's that. I've had a front row seat to what I think the origin of this is.

When schools started mandating masks, a lot of parent groups began to organize on social media to oppose the mandates. As a side effect, they also started paying much closer attention to what was being taught in schools (something I'd argue they should have been doing all along).

As they shared photos/videos/anecdotes of things to which they objected, the general feeling was, Wait a minute. These are our children - these schools should be answering to us. As their voices became louder, school boards & legislatures became involved - at times opposing the parent groups and at times supporting. I believe this bill was born out of that surge in parent participation.

Last edited:

JohnD

Yes. I already offered the same links. But someone wants me to discuss a specific amendment, they should put up or shut up. I'm told it was offered by Senator Brandes. Fine. Show me the language then we'll have something to discuss.

ImperfectPixie

Yes. I already offered the same links. But someone wants me to discuss a specific amendment, they should put up or shut up. I'm told it was offered by Senator Brandes. Fine. Show me the language then we'll have something to discuss.
That's what I just posted. A link to the amendment Brandes proposed, along with the final text of the bill, and an article quoting the conversation that occurred when the amendment was shot down.

RunningKoen

I don't think it's that. I've had a front row seat to what I think the origin of this is.

When schools started mandating masks, a lot of parent groups began to organize on social media to oppose the mandates. As a side effect, they also started paying much closer attention to what was being taught in schools (something I'd argue they should have been doing all along). As they shared photos/videos/anecdotes of things to which they objected, the general feeling was, Wait a minute. These are our children - these schools should be answering to us. As their voices became louder, school boards & legislatures became involved - at times opposing the parent groups and at times supporting. I believe this bill was born out of that surge in parent participation.

Why's the view/concern of the parents so narrowed? Why this topic in particular?

There are ton of social themes that are sensitive and to some parents not up to the school to teach. I've had parents disagreeing we talked about the subject of death. Kinda hard to no do it when a kid in the class died though ...

JohnD

They are insensitive and history has shown how it's hurtful to those people who chose to live their life that way. It hurts (and not just tears) when people are unreceptive and try to force them to accept a life they feel they can not live themselves.

When children are off'ing themselves because they can't live with the conflict and their parents and those around them try to use a stick instead of their ears... you should really reconsider what you feel is 'inappropriate'

No, it's not insensitive. What is insensitive is we are supposed to support "inclusivity" while at the same time excluding women who grew up female then spent most of their lives being better in the sport that they chose. Emma Weyant was born female and went through puberty as a female. Dude Thomas was born male, went through puberty as a male acquiring all the testosterone and attributes of a male before transitioning to a woman and we're support to respect "her" win in women's swimming. Another woman missed the cut by one because Lia Thomas, born a male not a female, took one of the spots. Title IX is now in shambles because of this.

ImperfectPixie

No, it's not insensitive. What is insensitive is we are supposed to support "inclusivity" while at the same time excluding women who grew up female then spent most of their lives being better in the sport that they chose. Emma Weyant was born female and went through puberty as a female. Dude Thomas was born male, went through puberty as a male acquiring all the testosterone and attributes of a male before transitioning to a woman and we're support to respect "her" win in women's swimming. Another woman missed the cut by one because Lia Thomas, born a male not a female, took one of the spots. Title IX is now in shambles because of this.

Facts are not offensive, it is unfortunate you think so.
YOU don't get to decide what's insensitive because you aren't the parties who are harmed by the insensitivity.

Just like school bullies don't get to determine what is and isn't bullying behavior.

Bill in Atlanta

Why's the view/concern of the parents so narrowed? Why this topic in particular?

There are ton of social themes that are sensitive and to some parents not up to the school to teach. I've had parents disagreeing we talked about the subject of death. Kinda hard to no do it when a kid in the class died though ...
I think this bill just took on a life of its own for various reasons. But I would actually say sex/gender issues place a distant 3rd in the list of concerns among the parent groups (masking/vaccines being #1, and CRT being #2).

ImperfectPixie

So? Here's the exact language. Second link goes directly to the specific amendment in question.

Read the article about the conversation, too. It's very enlightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom