Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

You said you didn't read a news story. This is getting quite confusing. Can you at least tell me the state?
Yeah...after thinking about it though, I did remember reading a news story...sorry. I could tell you the person's name, but that would lead you right to my town, so no dice.

Artemicon

Yes because rational thinking people realize that some subject matter should not be taught to young learners no matter how much we want to push gender identity on them.
I think based off their comments they would agree with you. as do I, really. Why should LGBTQ+ teaching get a pass when taught to K-3 when most children don't go through Sexual Education until grades 6-8? Doesn't make much sense.

Casper Gutman

I think based off their comments they would agree with you. as do I, really. Why should LGBTQ+ teaching get a pass when taught to K-3 when most children don't go through Sexual Education until grades 6-8? Doesn't make much sense.
What is the specific definition of LGBTQ+ teaching? Is acknowledging same-sex partnerships inherently "sexual" while acknowledging heterosexual romance is not? Because there was an amendment to the bill that specifically banned all education about human sexuality and another that explicitly included heterosexuality in the restricted material and both failed.

ImperfectPixie

What is the specific definition of LGBTQ+ teaching? Is acknowledging same-sex partnerships inherently "sexual" while acknowledging heterosexual romance is not? Because there was an amendment to the bill that specifically banned all education about human sexuality and another that explicitly included heterosexuality in the restricted material and both failed.
Let's just get it out in the open.

This law passed because ill-informed people are terrified that children just being aware that sometimes people of the same sex like each other will create thousands of LGBTQ+ children.

It's extraordinarily sad.

Californian Elitist

Well, Snow White is only 14 and far too young to be thinking about getting swept away by a prince. And he kisses her while she's unconscious and without her permission...which promotes date rape.

Or do you think that maybe kids don't know she's only 14. And that they don't see anything sexual about the kiss - just love - and that he rescued her from being left in the glass coffin for eternity?
Not to mention gender identity. Disney’s Snow White is in a quintessential woman role. She cooks for seven men, cleans for them, and whistles happily while she does it.

ImperfectPixie

Not to mention gender identity. Disney’s Snow White is in a quintessential woman role. She cooks for seven men, cleans for them, and whistles happily while she does it.
And how old do you think most children are when they see Snow White for the first time? I know I was 4 - we went to see it at a drive-in and my dad slammed my finger in the car door accidentally, and I still have the scar.

Californian Elitist

And how old do you think most children are when they see Snow White for the first time? I know I was 4 - we went to see it at a drive-in and my dad slammed my finger in the car door accidentally, and I still have the scar.
Yikes! I know how painful that is (happened to me as well when I was a kid).

And yep, I would imagine that a lot of people show that movie to their young children. I can bet my mom put it on for “background noise” when I was a baby.

ImperfectPixie

If it states in the movie that she is 14 than yes it’s not ok!
It does not.

My point is that kids see things in a completely different light than adults do because they are innocent. They don't automatically assign sexuality to something because they don't even know what sex is. For children everything is about love and caring for another person...which is why it's 100% normal for young girls to propose to their dad or young boys to propose to their mom. All they understand is that they love their mom or dad dearly and want to be with them forever, so they want to "marry" that parent because marriage is the only other super-close relationship they see every day...there's nothing sexual about it.

marymarypoppins

My point is that kids see things in a completely different light than adults do because they are innocent. They don't automatically assign sexuality to something because they don't even know what sex is. For children everything is about love and caring for another person...which is why it's 100% normal for young girls to propose to their dad or young boys to propose to their mom. All they understand is that they love their mom or dad dearly and want to be with them forever, so they want to "marry" that parent because marriage is the only other super-close relationship they see every day...there's nothing sexual about it.
But teaching that family units are not all the same etc etc is very different than teaching sexuality and gender identity to pre K- 3rd grader.

Casper Gutman

But teaching that family units are not all the same etc etc is very different than teaching sexuality and gender identity to pre K- 3rd grader.
And the bill could have clarified that. In fact, an amendment was proposed that would have specifically allowed discussion of same-sex families, but it failed. Because that sort of clarity wasn't the point of the bill. And now schools will be overrun by lawsuits from people who don't make the distinction you just did. And that was the point of the bill.

ImperfectPixie

Tell that to the people waiting to pounce with lawsuits once DeSantis signs the bill...because they are there. They will argue that any acknowledgement of same gender couples or LGBTQ+ students constitutes "teaching sexual orientation and gender identity".

Here's a story about a teacher's contract not being renewed because she acknowledged and was trying to support an LGBTQ+ student.

ETA: And that teacher was teaching in a middle school that has 7th and 8th grade students.

marymarypoppins

Tell that to the people waiting to pounce with lawsuits once DeSantis signs the bill...because they are there. They will argue that any acknowledgement of same gender couples or LGBTQ+ students constitutes "teaching sexual orientation and gender identity".

Here's a story about a teacher's contract not being renewed because she acknowledged and was trying to support an LGBTQ+ student.

ETA: And that teacher was teaching in a middle school that has 7th and 8th grade students.
That’s MO and I am talking in regards to FL and their bill.

marymarypoppins

I'm aware of that. However, these kinds of laws are being passed in multiple states, and all for the same purposes. The MO case illustrates that there are people who want to pretend that the LGBTQ+ community doesn't exist and will punish people who go against them.
I just don’t think it’s fair to compare the two bills with about putting them side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom