Bob Chapek backs up using IPs because “if our competitors had our catalog they would do the same thing”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which makes one wonder why people are attempting to discuss whether the decisions being made are good for Disney in the first place, rather than just discussing whether those decisions are good for themselves as fans. I know I know - it makes it sound much more important to say, "this-and-such is a bad business decision," versus saying what you really mean, "I don't like this-and-such." However, saying what you mean matters.

I’m not sure why you are such a supporter of “mutually exclusive” theory.

Why are those two things incompatible?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I’m not sure I disagree with you at all...

Though I agree CMB is chasing a “targeted” market...I Also believe it doesn’t exist. Just BS bob tells the board and squawk box till he can get out the door.

There isn’t an “elite” population to fill their parks and continue to glean profits off them. That’s a foolish idea from the start.

Nor are they bottom feeding like Six Flagz.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Which makes one wonder why people are attempting to discuss whether the decisions being made are good for Disney in the first place, rather than just discussing whether those decisions are good for themselves as fans. I know I know - it makes it sound much more important to say, "this-and-such is a bad business decision," versus saying what you really mean, "I don't like this-and-such." However, saying what you mean matters.
It makes sense when you see Disney/ABC as the R.J. Reynolds of the entertainment industry.

Robbiem

The issue isnt using IP its in how it is used.

IMO any attraction using IP should be able to be enjoyed if you aren’t familiar with the existing IP. Something like splash mountain or indy works well as a ride and you dont need to have seen song of the south to enjoy it. Several of the classic fantasyland rides or star tours though dont make much sense unless you know the story,of the original movie.

BlakeW39

Now you're just lying to yourself.

No, I'm not. You're trying to play economic devil's advocate without careful consideration.

They have just started exclusively using IP.

Guests do not get more excited for the parks now than they used to.

The only thing that has changed is the natural growth of the Orlando market over time.

It is not.

There are tons of daily screwball ideas that come out of WDI...it’s part of the process...
But they are not greenlit for good reasons. No knee jerks.

Even though he managed to get it done against logic (as always...James Cameron), avatar was reactionary due to Iger’s intentional stagnation.

And Chester and Hester was as knee jerk as you can get.

That is not “cohesion”

I’ve always liked DAK...and I think it’s very close to a solid full day repeatable park...but fair is fair and it’s 21 year history year does paint the picture that they knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

She’s coming around though 😉

Lol it kind of is though.

Cohesion: the action or fact of forming a united whole

Therefore when considering whether or not DAK is cohesive, we are looking at:

a.) a consistent theme for storytelling at the park.

b.) a consistent overarching story for the park.

We are not considering:

a.) the quality of attractions or the creative processes which create them (e.g. knee jerk?).

b.) the amount of attractions present within the park.

Chester and Hester, with its contrived and down-right awful backstory, does 'fit' in DAK from a thematic POV, while not creatively speaking.

Every element at the park fits in the park and there really isn't much argument against that. Therefore it is the most thematically cohesive park in America (I've not been overseas).

Whether either of us like or dislike the park, whether we thing it's good, awful, fantastic, or 'decent' isn't really the point.

*but* I do agree with some of the fundamental errors in their cost cutting when creating DAK. This is what draws parts of the park back. But I still think it's probably the best at WDW. You can crucify me if you'd like friend lol.

Last edited:

The Grand Inquisitor

To Mr Bob Chapek

BlakeW39

Unfortunately he isn't failing, and since failure would be the only thing to drive hom this point... it looks like we'll need to learn to love it.

bUU

How about you argue with me about things I did say instead of things I didn't say? It seems like your intention is to distract attention away from points you don't like but for which you don't have a legitimate response. I have no interest in playing that game.

Whether you're willing to admit it or not, they're better at what they do than anyone else, and I'd hazard a guess that "anyone else" includes anonymous people on the Internet.

bUU

I’m not sure why you are such a supporter of “mutually exclusive” theory.
Yet another attempt to argue against something I didn't say.

Why are those two things incompatible?
"When did you stop beating your spouse?" Your comment is non-sequitur. What is clear, though, is that the one thing (Disney knows what they're doing) has substantial foundation; the other thing (Disney is led by a bunch of screw ups) has practically none.

bUU

They have just started exclusively using IP.
Until the next time they don't.

Guests do not get more excited for the parks now than they used to.
You don't get more excited for the parks now than you used to. Guests do.

Unfortunately he isn't failing, and since failure would be the only thing to drive hom this point... it looks like we'll need to learn to love it.
Precisely my point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yet another attempt to argue against something I didn't say.

"When did you stop beating your spouse?" Your comment is non-sequitur. What is clear, though, is that the one thing (Disney knows what they're doing) has substantial foundation; the other thing (Disney is led by a bunch of screw ups) has practically none.

See...when you ask whether people are discussing are judging decisions as good for Disney or jaur good for themselves...in a company history such as Disney this crazy thing has happened where BOTH have actually been true many times...and that’s the backbone of the whole deal!

So the answer is maybe BOTH! We could be advocating both.

But it doesn’t quite translate to the language of Gordon gecko...so there is a loss in translation some times.

Have ya worked for Disney, Donald Regan do you think they aren’t a bunch of screwups? Or don’t have their fair share? Oh, Shirley ye jest?!

And I’m too young to beat my wife...that’s for old people 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom