Bob Chapek backs up using IPs because “if our competitors had our catalog they would do the same thing”

bUU

What I love is that he does seem to get his back up when he quoted 'why do you franchise everything' as if he knows people are constantly moaning about him doing it in the parks
It is clear that Chapek isn't sufficiently practiced at responding to questions from fans who are locked into that "fan's perspective" and unable or unwilling to ask the leader of the business questions from a business perspective. That's one of the things he'll need to get better at - recognizing questions like that for what they are and throwing back the canned marketing patter rather than taking the question seriously.

bUU

That makes me both happy and sad lol. On one hand, they're listening, and on the other, they don't give a $#!%. And I think we could all guess both were true anyways.
That's just it: They are listening, and they're also "listening" to other, more reliable information about guest proclivities - and they relying more so on that more reliable information, which is focused on what guests do rather than what guests say.

eliza61nyc

That's just it: They are listening, and they're also "listening" to other, more reliable information about guest proclivities - and they relying more so on that more reliable information, which is focused on what guests do rather than what guests say.

I also think we forget that the anti-Ip sentiment express here is probably a very small percentage of the vast WDW visitor population. Now whether Chapek is the anti-christ of theme parks?? who knows. but Ip is the most easy and most reliable way to make the masses happy. Could they do the wonderful things they did back in the early days? sure but why? I really wonder if the people outside of this realm really care where they place a Guardians of the Galaxy ride?? or get mad because Elsa is in Norway? We can dismiss the attitudes of the new visitor all we want but they've got money.

Someone mentioned only using a hammer for every repair....Well that hammer is getting the job done. maybe not with as much "finesse" but it is getting the job done.

bUU

I also think we forget that the anti-Ip sentiment express here is probably a very small percentage of the vast WDW visitor population.
Not just "very small percentage" but also a "decreasing percentage" as many new visitors are making the decision to visit for the first time specifically because of the IP being employed.

Now whether Chapek is the anti-christ of theme parks?? who knows.
Precisely right. It isn't so much as there is evidence that he's "great" but rather that the claims to the contrary are either deceptive or a result of self-deception (such as judging his business acumen by how much a rabid fan likes the decisions he made or the things he's said). There is nothing about what he's said or done that would indicate anything significantly negative for the business. Like I said earlier, he's not as polished as Iger. That can be fixed. And, if anything, that aspect of his manner is more likely to result in a few more decisions that rabid fans like (perhaps to the detriment of the company) as compared to Iger. Fans should be clamoring for Chapek; how would fans like the company run by Christine McCarthy instead? ;)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
A very good question. After all, Disney's three biggest hits in Future World (Soarin', Test Track, and Mission: Space) are all original.

Probably because they're the only big scale attractions in Future World... I'm gonna guess that Guardians is going to be eating so many people up. Whether anyone agrees that it fits or not.

World Showcase for example... Frozen Ever After is significantly more popular than Maelstrom ever was. And they were both of just about equal quality, tbh.

Indy_UK

It wouldn’t surprise me if Disney continued to just ignore the ‘old Disney’ fans because they’re not the people that the current Disney company wants.

I do slightly get their point too more when it comes to cloning rides. I’m not the biggest fan of it but I imagine the number of people visiting all the parks are small.

I imagine a lot of those who go to DLP may never set foot in a US or Asian park. By cloning rides, all your really doing is loosing he incentive for that minority to visit other international parks

Chef Mickey

There's no such thing as "a fan's perspective" on whether good business decisions are being made.
I disagree. Just because I’m a fan, doesn’t mean I’m completely wrong. The reason I made it clear I was also a fan is because you told me I was a fan as if I left that part out. I never tried to hide the fact I’m both an investor and a fan.

If I say attraction maintenance has been poor under Iger/Chapek, that can’t be ignored just because I’m a fan that remembers what Walt said about a bad show.

BlakeW39

I don't entirely agree with that. Guests will eat up whatever WDI throws at them. The addition of IP is marginal and has been proven time and time again. They have their reasons for doing only IP these days, but that is not because guests fundamentally prefer it.

BlakeW39

People are upset about IP just being dropped in without concern for how it integrates into the larger experience. That is how it is about story and experience.
It's not about using IP in the parks, it's how it gets used. And when every problem is a nail and your only tool is a(n IP) hammer...
I 100% agree that TWDC should take full advantage of their franchises and use them appropriately in the parks. SWGE is a perfect example of how to do this.

What I think we're all tired of is shoving IPs everywhere, especially where it is unnecessary and doesn't belong.

IP is only a problem when used improperly. The problem with it is that, while their catalogue is by far the best, it still greatly narrows what Disney can do, because it doesn't allow for anything imaginable, but rather anything that has already been done. And that means that when IP is added, it usually is only "close enough" and really breaks the thematic cohesion of the parks.

It's hard to maintain the theme of the park when instead of creating something to fit and better yet enhance the (storytelling of) the park, you are stretching the park to fit a predetermined IP.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

What about the Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, and the Safaris? Those rides don't have IPs and yet still get incredibly long lines and generally positive reviews. Wouldn't that (plus the aforementioned Soarin' and Test Track, though I'm admittedly not sure how popular Mission: Space is) prove the "Guests don't like original attractions" mindset is false?

BlakeW39

What about the Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, and the Safaris? Those rides don't have IPs and yet still get incredibly long lines and generally positive reviews. Wouldn't that (plus the aforementioned Soarin' and Test Track, though I'm admittedly not sure how popular Mission: Space is) prove the "Guests don't like original attractions" mindset is false?

Of course. Guests like good attractions, IP is inconsequential. All the rides you listed are phenomenal, that's why they're popular. It's also why FoP is popular. Quality first - that and hpw new an attraction is, any new attraction these days will get lines.

IP merely allows the attraction a failsafe so to speak. If an attraction is bad, guests will still be cool with it so long as it is based upon or included an IP they like. A bad ride with IP will be fine whereas without it the ride will just fail. But a good ride is good and either way it'll be popular.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Not just "very small percentage" but also a "decreasing percentage" as many new visitors are making the decision to visit for the first time specifically because of the IP being employed.

Precisely right. It isn't so much as there is evidence that he's "great" but rather that the claims to the contrary are either deceptive or a result of self-deception (such as judging his business acumen by how much a rabid fan likes the decisions he made or the things he's said). There is nothing about what he's said or done that would indicate anything significantly negative for the business. Like I said earlier, he's not as polished as Iger. That can be fixed. And, if anything, that aspect of his manner is more likely to result in a few more decisions that rabid fans like (perhaps to the detriment of the company) as compared to Iger. Fans should be clamoring for Chapek; how would fans like the company run by Christine McCarthy instead? ;)
Chapstick gets it. This is why guests pay the big bucks to visit Disney's amusement parks.
6-2018-DCA-2296-750x501.jpg

bUU

I disagree. Just because I’m a fan, doesn’t mean I’m completely wrong.
That isn't what I wrote.

What I wrote was, "There's no such thing as "a fan's perspective" on whether good business decisions are being made."

I don't entirely agree with that. Guests will eat up whatever WDI throws at them.
No, they won't. They'll "eat up" what WDI has been throwing at them because Disney has been "listening" to more reliable information about guest proclivities than what rabid fans say.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That isn't what I wrote.

What I wrote was, "There's no such thing as "a fan's perspective" on whether good business decisions are being made."

No, they won't. They'll "eat up" what WDI has been throwing at them because Disney has been "listening" to more reliable information about guest proclivities than what rabid fans say.
You think in such a linear manner. It’s honestly sort of impressive that you can see the world in such a straight line way. Things must be so simple for you.

BlakeW39

You think in such a linear manner. It’s honestly sort of impressive that you can see the world in such a straight line way. Things must be so simple for you.

lol exactly.

That isn't what I wrote.

Yes they will. Their recent reliance on established franchise does not have a direct result of guests' enjoyment. We know this because guests have loved the new experiences Disney parks have created since their inception.

Newsflash: people like new things. People like good things. New good things will be popular - IP or not. They are not listening to guests and you generalize the average guest far too much. It isn't so simple as guests want the newest hottest IP in whatever way, guests have taste and opinion which will be served with good things not simply franchises SOME guests have allegiance to.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's no such thing as "a fan's perspective" on whether good business decisions are being made.
It is clear that Chapek isn't sufficiently practiced at responding to questions from fans who are locked into that "fan's perspective" and unable or unwilling to ask the leader of the business questions from a business perspective. That's one of the things he'll need to get better at - recognizing questions like that for what they are and throwing back the canned marketing patter rather than taking the question seriously.

Hmmmmmm...I love it when the Wall Street journal does an in-depth analysis of cartoon IP 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom