Boardwalk area

eddieginsburg

Original Poster
The Dueling Pianos and the Dance Hall never seem to do any business. They are empty during the day. I am surprised DISNEY hasn’t updated this area EVER. It seems like prime area for refurbishment/remodel. Any news about plans for this area that has remained stagnant since 2000 (when I bought my timeshare)?

Minthorne

Jellyrolls does seem to get a good turn out nightly. I was actually trying to think what they could put in the Dance Hall that would bring people in.

eddieginsburg

Original Poster
Jellyrolls (Dueling Pianos) does very well at night. It's usually quite full. The Dance Hall is rarely full unless a large convention is in town.
Thanks. I would love to see the area come up with a better breakfast choice quick service than what you get at the BAKERY. What they offer across the road at Yacht and Beach and Beach Villas is SO much bette. I thought maybe the areas mentioned above could be converted

surfsupdon

Atlantic Dance actually was/is part of a contract with Swan Dolphin to have a nightclub in walking distance, I assume for conventioneers. Can somebody elaborate more?

I have had some fun nights there, both when it was empty and when it had a few hundred inside. Video dance parties are always fun lol.

aperitif

Both are empty during the day because both are closed during the day. Actually, the entire boardwalk area is pretty quiet until 5 PM. That's been true since it opened in the mid 90's. Jellyrolls is packed at night. It's often hard to get a table. Atlantic Dance makes most of it's money hosting private events.

DisneyAndADoleWhip

They are actively turning people away from visiting. I tried to go around 6pm to walk around and visit the bakery this past February. The parking guard asked if we had an ADR or if we were a resort guest. We informed him we wanted to shop and visit the bakery and he advised us to go to Disney Springs. The lot didn’t look full, and after parking at Disney Springs and taking a bus, we walked around a near empty Boardwalk. It’s super sad. They’re killing their own resort’s profit by turning people away.

rwdavis2

They are actively turning people away from visiting. I tried to go around 6pm to walk around and visit the bakery this past February. The parking guard asked if we had an ADR or if we were a resort guest. We informed him we wanted to shop and visit the bakery and he advised us to go to Disney Springs. The lot didn’t look full, and after parking at Disney Springs and taking a bus, we walked around a near empty Boardwalk. It’s super sad. They’re killing their own resort’s profit by turning people away.
At times there is not enough parking at BW for guests. That’s why they turn people away.

OneofThree

We stayed on Crescent Lake this past November for F&W and I agree -the Boardwalk seems dead most of the time. It appears as though Disney takes little interest in revenue per sq foot there, for some odd reason. We needed a quick breakfast one day and went the bakery. That's was by far the busiest we had seen the place (late morning), but due primarily to people coming from other places for Trattoria al Forno. Flying Fish is typically a favorite Disney restaurant, and it is typically quite empty. The last thing Disney did to make Boardwalk more of a draw was Abracadabar (I believe?), which flopped. Guessing they're content to just let it be at this point. Unless you're already right there, it's pretty redundant with Disney Springs a much bigger draw.

JIMINYCR

I dont think it ever was an area that was meant to be a big day time destination and thats why it wasnt developed for that. The resorts with easy access to EP was the focus, with some shops to accommodate the guests staying there. The evening entertainment was open in the evening to draw in guests after they finished with EP. You wouldnt see enough people during the day to make it profitable enough.

nickys

Premium Member
I get that. The lot was nearly empty this particular night. It’s just odd.

But those guests would be returning sometime that evening. They need to leave parking spaces for the resort guests or end up offering free valet parking for them.

I’ve been in that situation at Bay Lake - once we got free valet parking, another time we ended up in the CM parking lot and a free round of drinks at TOTWL!

Hockey89

The last thing Disney did to make Boardwalk more of a draw was Abracadabar (I believe?), which flopped.
I went two years ago and the bartenders ripped on other guests after they left and were miserable people. I may have mentioned that to the guy bartender that a new job may be healthy for him....

SeaCastle

We stayed on Crescent Lake this past November for F&W and I agree -the Boardwalk seems dead most of the time. It appears as though Disney takes little interest in revenue per sq foot there, for some odd reason. We needed a quick breakfast one day and went the bakery. That's was by far the busiest we had seen the place (late morning), but due primarily to people coming from other places for Trattoria al Forno. Flying Fish is typically a favorite Disney restaurant, and it is typically quite empty. The last thing Disney did to make Boardwalk more of a draw was Abracadabar (I believe?), which flopped. Guessing they're content to just let it be at this point. Unless you're already right there, it's pretty redundant with Disney Springs a much bigger draw.

As much as I love the Boardwalk (and I truly do) I can't help but think of it these days to be like a Potemkin village for the convention set or EPCOT resort guests. It really does have so much potential and really great bones but the investment at Disney Springs is a disincentive from having Boardwalk compete. I remember in 2004-2005 the area was much busier than when I saw it last June. They shut down the background music on the Boardwalk some years ago, so it feels even emptier than before. I'd be interested in knowing whether any of the Boardwalk attractions are substantially profitable or if they're running them at cost.

I think the lack of parking is a big turnoff. Disney Springs has tons of garages so even if you're not staying on property, it is relatively easy to get in and out of DS. Not so at the Boardwalk.

In practice the area acts as the restaurant/nightlife district for the Crescent Lake hotels, but those hotels have their own offerings anyway and it's hard to see that critical mass there. BW could do well by being the afterparty spot for those leaving EPCOT, but I haven't seen it marketed as such for a long time. With the gondolas the Boardwalk is within an easier reach of four additional hotels- WDW should capitalize on that, but they probably won't.

Club Cooloholic

I went two years ago and the bartenders ripped on other guests after they left and were miserable people. I may have mentioned that to the guy bartender that a new job may be healthy for him....
The drinks were way overpriced and not all that good. I don't know why Disney doesn't give folks what they want something interactive, yes adventures clubs but it doesn't have to be exactly that. Look how Trader Sam's packs them in and all that has is some moving wall hangings and cool lighting. A magic club with actual magic going on all the time would have been cool. Instead, the only thing that disappeared that night was my money

aperitif

As much as I love the Boardwalk (and I truly do) I can't help but think of it these days to be like a Potemkin village for the convention set or EPCOT resort guests. It really does have so much potential and really great bones but the investment at Disney Springs is a disincentive from having Boardwalk compete. I remember in 2004-2005 the area was much busier than when I saw it last June. They shut down the background music on the Boardwalk some years ago, so it feels even emptier than before. I'd be interested in knowing whether any of the Boardwalk attractions are substantially profitable or if they're running them at cost.

I think the lack of parking is a big turnoff. Disney Springs has tons of garages so even if you're not staying on property, it is relatively easy to get in and out of DS. Not so at the Boardwalk.

In practice the area acts as the restaurant/nightlife district for the Crescent Lake hotels, but those hotels have their own offerings anyway and it's hard to see that critical mass there. BW could do well by being the afterparty spot for those leaving EPCOT, but I haven't seen it marketed as such for a long time. With the gondolas the Boardwalk is within an easier reach of four additional hotels- WDW should capitalize on that, but they probably won't.
As someone who stays at Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk Inn frequently (we also own DVC at BC), I don't want the area to be any busier. For me, it's perfect like it is. I really doubt I'm the only one who feels this way, so maybe there's a reason that it is like it is (for those of us who stay there repeatedly because it isn't always crazy busy).

The drinks were way overpriced and not all that good. I don't know why Disney doesn't give folks what they want something interactive, yes adventures clubs but it doesn't have to be exactly that. Look how Trader Sam's packs them in and all that has is some moving wall hangings and cool lighting. A magic club with actual magic going on all the time would have been cool. Instead, the only thing that disappeared that night was my money
The Polynesian is always bursting with people and Trader Sam's adds to the number of non-overnight guests that wander the grounds and the Great Ceremonial House. I really feel that it's intentional on Disney's part to have some resorts that are always bustling with activity, and other resorts where it's possible to have a quiet moment to yourself outside of your room. We own DVC at 3 Disney properties, but when we book a stay without points, we first consider which mood we want the trip to reflect. If we want hustle and bustle, we pick Poly. If we want a chill vibe we book Yacht Club or Boardwalk. The contrast is great.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It is a conventioneers place. I've seen both Atlantic and Jellyrolls "closed for a private event" many, many times. It does draw a decent crowd when open regular times and I'd assume with the Skyliner now opening up guests of several hotels to the Boardwalk area it may get a little busier for us regular folk if it is promoted right. There are still a lot of people that will look at you kind of strange when you say "Atlantic Dance Hall" or "Jellyrolls" because they don't even know it's there.

Club Cooloholic

As someone who stays at Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk Inn frequently (we also own DVC at BC), I don't want the area to be any busier. For me, it's perfect like it is. I really doubt I'm the only one who feels this way, so maybe there's a reason that it is like it is (for those of us who stay there repeatedly because it isn't always crazy busy).

The Polynesian is always bursting with people and Trader Sam's adds to the number of non-overnight guests that wander the grounds and the Great Ceremonial House. I really feel that it's intentional on Disney's part to have some resorts that are always bustling with activity, and other resorts where it's possible to have a quiet moment to yourself outside of your room. We own DVC at 3 Disney properties, but when we book a stay without points, we first consider which mood we want the trip to reflect. If we want hustle and bustle, we pick Poly. If we want a chill vibe we book Yacht Club or Boardwalk. The contrast is great.

I guess it's weird to me that you would not want a resort that is supposed to reflect a boardwalk area to not be busy. As it is, it's kinda failing to match it's own description.

If you want quiet, you can just hang in the villas area, it's not like people are going to be wandering over from the boardwalk area to the hotel pool, etc. But the Boardwalk, of all areas should be busier, as nothing there was intended to be just for the hotel and villa guests.

Last edited:

OneofThree

Given their current business model, I'm less inclined to believe they want fewer guests there and feel it is far more likely they view the Boardwalk investments as sunk costs, perhaps with specific booths and store fronts breaking even. Disney Parks just places far too much emphasis on the sale of food and trinkets to think they wouldn't prefer the place packed.

aperitif

I guess it's weird to me that you would not want a resort that is supposed to reflect a boardwalk area to not be busy. As it is, it's kinda failing to match it's own description.

If you want quiet, you can just hang in the villas area, it's not like people are going to be wandering over from the boardwalk area to the hotel pool, etc. But the Boardwalk, of all areas should be busier, as nothing there was intended to be just for the hotel and villa guests.
A valid point, but I guess I'm "weird" then, because I go to an actual Boardwalk on the Atlantic Ocean, a couple of hours from my home, in the off season when it's pretty much dead.

I disagree though that day visitors don't wander to the pool. They absolutely do wander around the perimeter of Boardwalk's main feature pool. They also wander the hallways on the main level and cause congestion in the lobby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom