BLT fireworks

Parkerbexar

Original Poster
Can any DVC member go over to BLT and watch Wishes or do you have to stay at BLT to be able to watch the fireworks from the roof? Thanks

journ116

Can any DVC member go over to BLT and watch Wishes or do you have to stay at BLT to be able to watch the fireworks from the roof? Thanks
I'm not sure when "the rule" changed, but a DVC member (including non-DVC members in their travel party staying at a DVC property), CAN now watch the fireworks from the top of BLT. I am not exactly sure what time the designated elevator opens up, so I'd inquire at your resort concierge. Be sure to have your DVC card, and/or your MB, and ID.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yep. It started summer of 2012 and was extended to the end of 2014 now with the exception of the blackout dates below. From the DVC member site:

Top of the World Lounge
Top of the World Lounge is located at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2014 (blockout dates apply. Including but not limited to 12/30/13, 12/31/13, 7/3/14, and 7/4/14). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

TheBeastMom

With the right camera equipment you can get some great action shots of the monorail disappearing into the Contemporary building!

slappy magoo

With the right camera equipment you can get some great action shots of the monorail disappearing into the Contemporary building!

And with the right camera equipment you can get a shot of RAYMOND BURR MURDERING HIS WIFE!!!
Rear-window.jpg

deix15x8

Wonder what the December 29, 2014 date means. Think that's just as far as they wanted to confirm or could they be making changes after that date. When we were their in October the top of the Contemporary was beautiful. The top of BLT was covered in bugs though. It had a noticeably different kind of lighting and that seemed to be the difference, it was nearly impossible to stand outside on BLT. Hope they do something about it soon. When we were their it was empty, so maybe it's better during the fireworks when more people are up their.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wonder what the December 29, 2014 date means. Think that's just as far as they wanted to confirm or could they be making changes after that date. When we were their in October the top of the Contemporary was beautiful. The top of BLT was covered in bugs though. It had a noticeably different kind of lighting and that seemed to be the difference, it was nearly impossible to stand outside on BLT. Hope they do something about it soon. When we were their it was empty, so maybe it's better during the fireworks when more people are up their.
12/30 and 12/31 are blacked out due to New Years being very popular. They seem to be reluctant to make this a permanent change. So far they just rolled the dates forward each year.

I personally didn't notice bugs last November, but it could be a seasonal thing. We were at WDW in September one year and there was a swarm of some sort of bugs that locals were calling love bugs. They were literally everywhere. They started in GA and continued the rest of our drive in. The front of my car was literally covered in a layer of these bugs. It was really gross.

DVCPluto

Have been to TotWL a few times and loved each experience. Different times of year - with no bugs - but it's FL, so there's always that possibility.

You definitely have to have your DVC card and be staying on property using points. They checked to make sure we were - but, that might depend on the CM.

It's kind of cool to go up the special elevator - very swanky ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If I rented DVC points am I eligible as well or only the owner of the points? Thanks!

Technically, no. It's available to members and their non-member guests and by renting points you are technically a "guest" of a member staying using their points. The issue comes in when you go to gain access to the elevator. The official rule is you need the DVC member present and they need to present a DVC member card to get in. One way around this is to make friends with a member while you are there and get them to let you in. You could also try asking and they may just let you in. Another long shot option is to request the highest floor possible. If you get the top floor you will be on the same floor as TOWL and your band will be set to access that floor.

Here's the exact language from the DVC member site:

Top of the World Lounge
Top of the World Lounge is located at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2014 (blockout dates apply. Including but not limited to 12/30/13, 12/31/13, 7/3/14, and 7/4/14). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.[/QUOTE]

DVCPluto

If I rented DVC points am I eligible as well or only the owner of the points? Thanks!

To add to what @GoofGoof has stated and to answer your question, nope.

We saw grandparents turned away (with tired children) because the member (mom) wasn't present with her DVC card. They tried to tell the CM that she was waiting upstairs, but the CM made them go to the check-in counter to make sure they were staying with the member and on pts.

It may just depend on the CM, but I wouldn't plan on trying to fib your way in. They check... I was pretty shocked.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To add to what @GoofGoof has stated and to answer your question, nope.

We saw grandparents turned away (with tired children) because the member (mom) wasn't present with her DVC card. They tried to tell the CM that she was waiting upstairs, but the CM made them go to the check-in counter to make sure they were staying with the member and on pts.

It may just depend on the CM, but I wouldn't plan on trying to fib your way in. They check... I was pretty shocked.
I was surprised too. My first stay at BLT when they still had cards instead of magic bands they would let you in as long as your room key said DVC Member. Now with magic bands I guess it's DVC member card or nothing. On my last trip I was staying on the top floor so I could get up to TOWL without going to the lobby first. I confess I helped a family "sneak in" by bringing them up on the elevator with me directly from the 5th floor by the skybridge.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What time do people usually start showing up for fireworks at BLT?

The lounge doesn't open until 6PM so that would be the earliest. It probably depends on the time of year. I've been up there 3 or 4 times and there was never much of a crowd so you can probably get there right before wishes and still have a good view on all but the most crowded days. Just leave some time to get up the elevator and out to the patio.

If you want to view fireworks from the outdoor patio area (best option) there is a sorta tall wall around the outside edge of the patio. It helps keep people safe, but can present a problem for little kids or really short adults who can't see over it. If you take a few steps back or even stand back by the benches in the back you can still see and you get an easier angle over the wall. I've seen people with kids standing on the benches too. Not condoning it, but if you are safe about it it's probably not a bad viewing spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom