BLT Disappointment

nickys

Premium Member
Having read reviews it looks like some rooms are really in need of a refurb. Your complaints are why I still haven't stayed there as a DVC member. There are consistent complaints about the pool and studios being small.
The restaurants being in another section are not really as big a deal in most of the other DVCs because either theuly have their own or are pretty dang close. I know at Beach Club the market is really close to the DVC building.
Oh the refurb is definitely needed. It should happen next year, but BRV is 2 years overdue now and still no sign of it happening as others jump the queue. So the BLT refurb is probably 2 years away.

And the studios are small, that is universally agreed! A refurb though isn’t going to change that. The 1 & 2-beds though are big and much better comparatively, with the extra bathroom.

The Contemporary amenities are shared with BLT. Just like at BCV, BRV, BWV etc. It’s a shared resort. The only things different in the arrangements here is that the pool is only for BLT guests and the Lounge is only for DVC members.

Hcalvert

The question is, what good would that survey do? Any changes to the rooms at a DVC resort would come under as part of a refurb, which is paid for by the annual dues of members. I don’t recall getting surveys of any of our DVC stays, so I don’t know how much they take feedback into consideration when planning the refurbs.

Opinions from cash guests aren’t likely to factor much into the decision making process about the refurb. And they’re unlikely to redesign the layout of the studios whoever gave that feedback. And the chances of any amenities being added are remote to zero.
I've done surveys for DVC rooms. I particularly had a subpar experience (putting our bags in the wrong room, safe not working, a previous guest's maitenance request being fixed while we were in the room) at Poly and they gave me a $150 gift card for my troubles. I didn't ask for it, they just offered.

plutofan15

I had the opportunity to stay at BLT Sunday night in a studio room. HOLY disappointment.

In my $.02 you're ONLY paying for the location and nothing else. Full disclosure I'm not DVC nor have I stayed in a DVC room prior. I also did no research prior to booking a room here. I got a killer deal for 1 night and have always wanted to stay here.

1st impressions: There are no amenities on-site besides the pool and pool bar and pool bar closed at 7p. Everything else requires you go to over to the Contemporary. The walkway bridge is nice, but having to go over to there for anything is disappointing especially after a long day in the parks. Even a gift shop would be nice. Top of the World Lounge is STILL not open.

I was on the 2nd floor facing the Contemporary/parking lot.

I had forgotten my AC phone charger and there are NO USB ports in the room...at all. It was nice having the toilet/shower separate from the kink/kitchenette area - HOWEVER - getting ready in the AM, I'm brushing my hair in the kitchen. Also, the vanity area is too dark to properly apply makeup. I don't know when BLT is up for refurb but the carpet in the room is looking very worn as well.
Lesson learned - do some research next time. For how often we have visited, we still do research before booking as there are constant changes.

plutofan15

The Theming is non-existent.
The Lobby looks like a bank lobby.
You have to walk next door for food or drink.
It only has one plus. You can easily walk to Magic Kingdom. That is a HUGE Plus but it is just one plus.
1651356257490.png

Muffinpants

The Theming is non-existent.
The Lobby looks like a bank lobby.
You have to walk next door for food or drink.
It only has one plus. You can easily walk to Magic Kingdom. That is a HUGE Plus but it is just one plus.
I mean to be fair most DVC lobbys are small. Also its the same theme as the contemporary. Kinda like going to Poly and saying the lobby didnt look like the Grand Floridian. Bay Lake is an extension of Contemporary so if you dislike the contemporary.. bay lake wont be much different.

Fox&Hound

I love BLT and have stayed there often, but I do agree the theming could be more...interesting. I don't love the theming of the contemporary, as compared to other hotels, so it makes sense BLT would feel the same. My biggest gripe is that I wish there were more dining options for grab and go. There is a super small grab and go location next to Chef Mickey's but it can't handle all of the traffic from BLT and the contemporary...

Club Cooloholic

I love BLT and have stayed there often, but I do agree the theming could be more...interesting. I don't love the theming of the contemporary, as compared to other hotels, so it makes sense BLT would feel the same. My biggest gripe is that I wish there were more dining options for grab and go. There is a super small grab and go location next to Chef Mickey's but it can't handle all of the traffic from BLT and the contemporary...
See there is thread going on in the DVC section that the Top Of The World needs reopen and be busier. Put a coffee bar and some simple snacks like pastries and grab and go sandwiches in there during the morning and it will do great.
Close it a few hours and reopen it as the cocktail lounge.

RememberWhen

See there is thread going on in the DVC section that the Top Of The World needs reopen and be busier. Put a coffee bar and some simple snacks like pastries and grab and go sandwiches in there during the morning and it will do great.
Close it a few hours and reopen it as the cocktail lounge.
Definitely agree that would be an awesome breakfast grab and go spot

Imhere

We stayed at BLT on rented points. Though we should have always been the target DVC audience, it never really appealed to us for a number of reasons. I have been going to WDW since the year they opened. My wife and I had our honeymoon at the Poly and we have done a, at least, once a year trip since 1999 when the kids were 4 & 8.
One thing is I have never agreed with Disneys description of DVC as “Deluxe” accommodations. When hanging out on DVC message boards hearing about the tricks to make friends with housekeepers to get more sheets and towels or coffee & shampoo, or, hearing how to just steal these things off unattended maid carts, did not give me a warm and fuzzy “Deluxe” feeling.
Walking into a DVC lobby and not finding a bar or nice restaurant also does not scream “Deluxe” to me.
I’m an Air Force brat and when we would travel on vacations we would stay at a mix of hotels, or when convenient, base housing. This base housing was always nice, clean, friendly. I compare DVC with base housing, it’s nice, clean, friendly, but given the choice I’d rather stay at the Contemporary with great lobby, daily housekeeping and every amenity, than BLT with a lobby like a federal building and “do it yourself” amenities.
One other thing is I’m notorious for changing plans on a whim. I will make a Disney resort reservation and change it many times due to availability, new sale prices, etc. This is just a personal issue for *me*.
We will rent DVC points when it suits us, ex: We will get a OKW 2 bedroom if we have a big crowd. Like I say, we rented DVC BLT just to try it and liked closeness to MK.
So, the upshot is, these are just MY opinions and while I don’t find BLT a Big disappointment”, that’s only because I don’t own there.

Club Cooloholic

We stayed at BLT on rented points. Though we should have always been the target DVC audience, it never really appealed to us for a number of reasons. I have been going to WDW since the year they opened. My wife and I had our honeymoon at the Poly and we have done a, at least, once a year trip since 1999 when the kids were 4 & 8.
One thing is I have never agreed with Disneys description of DVC as “Deluxe” accommodations. When hanging out on DVC message boards hearing about the tricks to make friends with housekeepers to get more sheets and towels or coffee & shampoo, or, hearing how to just steal these things off unattended maid carts, did not give me a warm and fuzzy “Deluxe” feeling.
Walking into a DVC lobby and not finding a bar or nice restaurant also does not scream “Deluxe” to me.
I’m an Air Force brat and when we would travel on vacations we would stay at a mix of hotels, or when convenient, base housing. This base housing was always nice, clean, friendly. I compare DVC with base housing, it’s nice, clean, friendly, but given the choice I’d rather stay at the Contemporary with great lobby, daily housekeeping and every amenity, than BLT with a lobby like a federal building and “do it yourself” amenities.
One other thing is I’m notorious for changing plans on a whim. I will make a Disney resort reservation and change it many times due to availability, new sale prices, etc. This is just a personal issue for *me*.
We will rent DVC points when it suits us, ex: We will get a OKW 2 bedroom if we have a big crowd. Like I say, we rented DVC BLT just to try it and liked closeness to MK.
So, the upshot is, these are just MY opinions and while I don’t find BLT a Big disappointment”, that’s only because I don’t own there.
I understand, but well you can have daily housekeeping if you wish to pay for that. I have never had an issue with getting more coffee or towels, no more than any other time on a regular hotel room, and the lobby thing is something I don't understand. OKW, Saratoga and Kidani are ALL DVC only properties, their lobbies are not really any bigger or smaller than most hotels and they have restaurants and bars. If I go to the Poly I check in in the same lobby as hotel guests, and both hotel and DVC are staying in buildings not connected to that lobby.
As I said, I never stayed at BLT, so maybe the vibe you are discussing is similar, but as others have said it wouldn't be that different than you staying in the Garden wing at Contemporary.

Imhere

I understand, but well you can have daily housekeeping if you wish to pay for that. I have never had an issue with getting more coffee or towels, no more than any other time on a regular hotel room, and the lobby thing is something I don't understand. OKW, Saratoga and Kidani are ALL DVC only properties, their lobbies are not really any bigger or smaller than most hotels and they have restaurants and bars. If I go to the Poly I check in in the same lobby as hotel guests, and both hotel and DVC are staying in buildings not connected to that lobby.
As I said, I never stayed at BLT, so maybe the vibe you are discussing is similar, but as others have said it wouldn't be that different than you staying in the Garden wing at Contemporary.
I know, I know, you can pick every point I made and point out how wrong I am.

I have paid for daily housekeeping in a DVC studio. I will tell you it is much more bothersome to find a dirty floor after you’ve paid $250 a week for cleaning than when you aren’t paying.

OkW and Saratoga Springs do have lobby’s, you can be in a position to walk a mile or take a bus to get to them. Kinda like moderates, not deluxes.

I also know Poly has the same lobby as the hotel, maybe I’ll talk about that more if there’s “Polynesian Disappointment” thread.

nickys

Premium Member

I have paid for daily housekeeping in a DVC studio. I will tell you it is much more bothersome to find a dirty floor after you’ve paid $250 a week for cleaning than when you aren’t paying.

OkW and Saratoga Springs do have lobby’s, you can be in a position to walk a mile or take a bus to get to them. Kinda like moderates, not deluxes.

I also know Poly has the same lobby as the hotel, maybe I’ll talk about that more if there’s “Polynesian Disappointment” thread.
It comes down to the fact that DVC is a timeshare.

The marketing by Disney of the DVC resorts as being “deluxe” is presumably because most are attached to one of the Disney deluxe resorts. But nonetheless they are still timeshare units. And Disney don’t have a lot of these rooms to sell anyway, generally only around 3-5% of the rooms. Riviera is an exception now because it isn’t sold out. And SSR and OKW due to size.

Daily housekeeping for all members would increase the annual dues, something that I think most owners would reject if offered a choice. If they bring back the option to pay for extra housekeeping that should keep everyone happy.

That said, if booking direct through Disney you do get daily housekeeping, or did pre Covid. It seems that is starting to return.

correcaminos

You realize DVC is a condo/villa timeshare and not a regular hotel room, right? OKW was designed to be a home away from home. Resort amenities classifies for Disney. Though IMO no Disney resort is deluxe as much as they try.

Some resorts share check in areas and some don't. Truthfully I don't see the point in having a separate DVC check in at PVB as it is all right there. BCV had one for a while but it was kind of small and not staffed 24/7 anyway. BWV also shares the lobby. AKL Jambo as well. Having a separate DVC lobby doesn't make or break for me. Each DVC longhouse at PVB has its own sitting area. BCV does as well.

Imhere

You realize DVC is a condo/villa timeshare and not a regular hotel room, right? OKW was designed to be a home away from home. Resort amenities classifies for Disney. Though IMO no Disney resort is deluxe as much as they try.
I understand all that. I only pointed out that Disney has always called DVC "Deluxe" resorts. Thanks for posting that you agree with me.

correcaminos

I understand all that. I only pointed out that Disney has always called DVC "Deluxe" resorts. Thanks for posting that you agree with me.
Disney calls a lot of things deluxe that isn't. My point about DVC is that you cannot get caught up on the cleaning and such because it is a timeshare. So while I do agree that zero Disney resorts are deluxe, your gripe about getting cleaning services is not fair. These aren't hotel rooms.

Imhere

Disney calls a lot of things deluxe that isn't. My point about DVC is that you cannot get caught up on the cleaning and such because it is a timeshare. So while I do agree that zero Disney resorts are deluxe, your gripe about getting cleaning services is not fair. These aren't hotel rooms.
I simply said that is the reason DVC is not for me. It is not a gripe. I know its a timeshare, I know it has no housekeeping. All I said was that is one of the reasons DVC is not for me.

Introvert

Surveys are part of the data used to help guide future projects or current/future operational changes
We are DVC members since 1992. Have never received a survey . We usually use DVC at least twice a year for 7-10 day visits . I am wondering if the reason no surveys is because we are in our 70's and not the demographic that Disney is interested in ? Just a thought.

Introvert

Having read reviews it looks like some rooms are really in need of a refurb. Your complaints are why I still haven't stayed there as a DVC member. There are consistent complaints about the pool and studios being small.
The restaurants being in another section are not really as big a deal in most of the other DVCs because either theuly have their own or are pretty dang close. I know at Beach Club the market is really close to the DVC building.
The studios at OKW are very small. The redo the did a few years ago was more DIY in the bedroom and kitchenette area. The bathroom was the only area that appeared to look new. Same furniture ( head boards , table,chairs and chest were painted dark brown. not a very Kew West or coastal vibe.I preferred the white or maybe they could of used the light green color that is in the bathroom vanity. It would be more cohestive and appropriate. The tiny dresser had a tiny flat screen TV. The floor is carpeted and not laminate or wood tile like other studios. The kitchenette was partially repainted . Part is green and part is dark brown. It does not have a cabinet on top just shelves. The microwave actually wobbled when using it. The only new additions I seen was the textiles and bed frame plus the carpet. Very disappointing and not what I would expect from Disney. The studio has two queen beds and no place to sit or relax other then the two tiny wooden chairs in the bedroom. The room needs a complete overhaul in the footprint to incorporate a sleeper couch and a larger dresser with a larger TV. I feel like OKW is the least favored of DVC children. I could go on and talk about the lack of covered quick serve but that will get me on another tangent . Sorry

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom