BLT Disappointment

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I had the opportunity to stay at BLT Sunday night in a studio room. HOLY disappointment.

In my $.02 you're ONLY paying for the location and nothing else. Full disclosure I'm not DVC nor have I stayed in a DVC room prior. I also did no research prior to booking a room here. I got a killer deal for 1 night and have always wanted to stay here.

1st impressions: There are no amenities on-site besides the pool and pool bar and pool bar closed at 7p. Everything else requires you go to over to the Contemporary. The walkway bridge is nice, but having to go over to there for anything is disappointing especially after a long day in the parks. Even a gift shop would be nice. Top of the World Lounge is STILL not open.

I was on the 2nd floor facing the Contemporary/parking lot.

I had forgotten my AC phone charger and there are NO USB ports in the room...at all. It was nice having the toilet/shower separate from the kink/kitchenette area - HOWEVER - getting ready in the AM, I'm brushing my hair in the kitchen. Also, the vanity area is too dark to properly apply makeup. I don't know when BLT is up for refurb but the carpet in the room is looking very worn as well.

DisneyJoe

1st impressions: There are no amenities on-site besides the pool and pool bar and pool bar closed at 7p. Everything else requires you go to over to the Contemporary. The walkway bridge is nice, but having to go over to there for anything is disappointing especially after a long day in the parks. Even a gift shop would be nice. Top of the World Lounge is STILL not open.
A good number of DVC resorts rely on the facilities of their main resort - I believe these include Villas at the Grand Floridian, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, and the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge (and the various cabins)...

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A good number of DVC resorts rely on the facilities of their main resort - I believe these include Villas at the Grand Floridian, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, and the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge (and the various cabins)...

I know that now - it's still disappointing considering how expensive DVC is and how much the per-night charge is for non-DVC

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
We stayed at BLT for the first time last summer and we had the same impression as you. The only thing worthwhile about the resort is being able to walk to MK. The studio was small for 4 adults, compared to OKW and even Saratoga, the lack of amenities (the main pool is by far better) was annoying, and just a general sense of chaos. We definitely will not be staying again anytime soon.

nickys

Premium Member
Even had TOTWL been open you wouldn’t have been able to go up. It’s strictly members only.

The only DVC resorts I can think of where you have amenities actually in the same building as the villas would be Copper Creek and Kidani. And the Contemporary is closer to BLT than most other resorts.

In general I would say a regular resort room is always going to be in better shape than a DVC room. But absolutely you’re paying for convenience at BLT. Especially if you book through Disney.

correcaminos

They sent me a survey about my stay. I was brutally honest.
Don't blame you. I think the design and layout is lousy. We had a studio once for 2 people (retired aged siblings) and they rarely stayed in the room even with them having the lake view that was really a theme park view. That was over a decade ago. I have stayed since but we'll never do a studio there again.

nickys

Premium Member
The question is, what good would that survey do? Any changes to the rooms at a DVC resort would come under as part of a refurb, which is paid for by the annual dues of members. I don’t recall getting surveys of any of our DVC stays, so I don’t know how much they take feedback into consideration when planning the refurbs.

Opinions from cash guests aren’t likely to factor much into the decision making process about the refurb. And they’re unlikely to redesign the layout of the studios whoever gave that feedback. And the chances of any amenities being added are remote to zero.

correcaminos

The question is, what good would that survey do? Any changes to the rooms at a DVC resort would come under as part of a refurb, which is paid for by the annual dues of members. I don’t recall getting surveys of any of our DVC stays, so I don’t know how much they take feedback into consideration when planning the refurbs.

Opinions from cash guests aren’t likely to factor much into the decision making process about the refurb. And they’re unlikely to redesign the layout of the studios whoever gave that feedback. And the chances of any amenities being added are remote to zero.
I have gotten surveys for a lot of my DVC stays recently. I believe all of my stays starting from 2021, so 4 surveys now.

surfsupdon

BLT was highly disappointing. So were the grounds. Lots of pavers with weeds and moss in the cracks...not well maintained anywhere. BLT & Contemp are our least favorite properties.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
We’re trying BLT for the first time. 2 nights with a BWV split stay. It probably won’t compare to the studio at Poly but we’re looking forward to walking home from MK’s EMH on Wed night, enjoying time at Contemporary, ease of hitting Early Entry and taking a nice long afternoon break without much travel time. It’s due for a hard refurb next year. Wonder how much of an improvement to the room will happen.

Muffinpants

I have stayed in BLT twice now and its my favorite dvc so far. I loved being a walkway away from the main area. Alot of other dvcs the main building is pretty far away. The pools were never an issue for us they are both pretty close to each other and a simple walk outside. The walkway in the morning was amazing view of bay lake and the castle.

The 10 min walk to MK and monorail to epcot or the other resorts was great to and from the parks. From AK/DS we would take the first bus available than ride the monorail to BLT.

Compared to our recent AKL stay I would do BLT for the rest of my life before going back there.

castlecake2.0

Surveys are part of the data used to help guide future projects or current/future operational changes

nickys

Premium Member
Surveys are part of the data used to help guide future projects or current/future operational changes
Yes. But my question was whether a survey of cash guests at a DVC esort is going to influence future refurbs. By definition a DVC resort is going to have far more feedback from DVC members, who may be looking for different amenities than a cash guest. And I don’t see them adding amenities to a DVC resort either, otherwise they might have added a bigger QS to OKW for example. So Bay Lake isn’t suddenly going to get its own restaurant and gift shop.

castlecake2.0

Yes. But my question was whether a survey of cash guests at a DVC esort is going to influence future refurbs. By definition a DVC resort is going to have far more feedback from DVC members, who may be looking for different amenities than a cash guest. And I don’t see them adding amenities to a DVC resort either, otherwise they might have added a bigger QS to OKW for example. So Bay Lake isn’t suddenly going to get its own restaurant and gift shop.
If enough guests comment about a specific thing it could. Are they going to add a gift shop? Probably not. But if enough guests are unhappy about the food selection maybe they look at adding to the measly three entree items at the pool bar or give top of the world a bigger menu. They send surveys for a reason, not every single wish list item might come true, but to just say “everything was great” when it wasn’t doesn’t help anyone.

Club Cooloholic

Having read reviews it looks like some rooms are really in need of a refurb. Your complaints are why I still haven't stayed there as a DVC member. There are consistent complaints about the pool and studios being small.
The restaurants being in another section are not really as big a deal in most of the other DVCs because either theuly have their own or are pretty dang close. I know at Beach Club the market is really close to the DVC building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom