Blizzard Beach temporarily closed due to capacity (23 Jul 12:30pm)

SCRacerX70

:rolleyes: Please, that's old news. :lol: How about this:

PirateWaterAdvSMALL.jpg

It could work still...

And welcome to the boards! :wave:

Cool concept...

Thanks for the welcome, but I've been here 5 years... seems like my annual pass expired, showing me as "New Here" (oops!) :hammer:

WDW1974

What I have read & gathered is this-

Several possible reasons for the park's closing have been suggested by fans. One is that there wasn't a need for this park due to the other two larger water parks on Disney property (which had more slides) and increased competition from other water parks in the area. Another is that bacteria from Bay Lake was reportedly contaminating River Country's water. Yet another is that this water park's lake was unheated, and was very cold outside the summer months. It was commented by a Disney employee that a contributing reason for the closing was new state rules concerning water parks. Pools and water activities must have their water originating from municipal water systems, not natural bodies of water. Water snakes were also said to have been a problem.

Those are all largely urban/CM/Internet myths.

There was one reason why River Country closed: money.

janoimagine

Not entirely an urban myth, Florida has long been known to have a problem with Naegleria Fowleri. An Amoeba that enters the body through the nose, found in the shallow 'warmer' waters of Florida lakes in the summer months. While I am not saying this is why River Country closed, this is probably the reason swimming is no longer allowed in the lakes in WDW. I agree with 74' in that River Country's demise was financially motivated. Another thing I had been told by a few former cast members was that due to the murky bottom, it was a liability in that lifeguards did not have adequate visibility.

WDW1974

Not entirely an urban myth, Florida has long been known to have a problem with Naegleria Fowleri. An Amoeba that enters the body through the nose, found in the shallow 'warmer' waters of Florida lakes in the summer months. While I am not saying this is why River Country closed, this is probably the reason swimming is no longer allowed in the lakes in WDW. I agree with 74' in that River Country's demise was financially motivated. Another thing I had been told by a few former cast members was that due to the murky bottom, it was a liability in that lifeguards did not have adequate visibility.

The amoeba is not an issue in areas where the water is filtered (it was at RC) and there is no vegatative growth on the bottom.

People try and connect the two when there never was an issue.

Now, it likely was a factor behind them stopping swimming in Bay Lake (which I did plenty of as a kid) and Seven Seas Lagoon ... but they also were far less polluted back in the 70s and 80s.

At some point, everything comes down to Disney Legal ... everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom