BLACKFISH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thats a sight I will never get tired off. I work across the water from where they lunch in Maryland, so I watch those night launches occasionally.
Rocket launches are one of the perks about living in Florida. We went to Space View park on a whim because it was the 4th of July and the shuttle was going up. Worst case scenario was that we would be out a tank of gas.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Rocket launches are one of the perks about living in Florida. We went to Space View park on a whim because it was the 4th of July and the shuttle was going up. Worst case scenario was that we would be out a tank of gas.
I get the small lunch that are just as fun. I work on launch systems for a type of rocket. Its fascinating.

luv

What is the "give it a shot" percentage on those things? You know how n the news, they say, "there is a seventy percent chance it will be a go, the weather blah-blah-blah..."

What percentage makes you say, "I'm going to take a ride over and give this a shot!" Or do you just pick one and go, whatever they say?

I have yet to figure it out and have never actually gone.

Voxel

President of Progress City
What is the "give it a shot" percentage on those things? You know how n the news, they say, "there is a seventy percent chance it will be a go, the weather blah-blah-blah..."

What percentage makes you say, "I'm going to take a ride over and give this a shot!" Or do you just pick one and go, whatever they say?

For my launch site in Maryland, its about 70% on the first schedule day. If its been scrubbed once or twice I will go to the next planned because its more likely. The big thing is even if the day look/seems perfect a valve my decide it might not want to operate properly and scrub the entire launch.

Reactions: luv

919Florida

My photos are one thing I cherish so much. So many onetime things that I will never see again but can live them again through my photos. I am nowhere near a professional photographer I basically just point and shoot and I have got very lucky with my action shots at SeaWorld just by learning the signals. Its also fun after having gone and learned them to watch for signs and then tell your friend what’s coming and where. They get so amazed with that. Glad to see everyone here could give you some great ideas to help.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My photos are one thing I cherish so much. So many onetime things that I will never see again but can live them again through my photos. I am nowhere near a professional photographer I basically just point and shoot and I have got very lucky with my action shots at SeaWorld just by learning the signals. Its also fun after having gone and learned them to watch for signs and then tell your friend what’s coming and where. They get so amazed with that. Glad to see everyone here could give you some great ideas to help.
TOO BAD THEY ARE SLAVES FOR THE MAN!

YO HO HO, THE SHAMU SHOW HAS GOT TO GO
YAY HEY HEY, DON'T LET IT LAST ANOTHER DAY!

(I missed my calling, I should have been a "community organizer"...)

luv

The dolphins (I know Shamu is a dolphin, but I call him a whale, it's just easier)...the dolphins are even harder because they're blurry. I'm going to try this on them, too. I almost can't wait. You all don't know how happy I am about this.

This is even better than finding out that if I stop just renewing and do the payment thing, my price is locked in forever. Wish I'd known that years ago.

Yay, peeps!! Thank you!

Wish I could give you something. I'm that grateful and happy.

(It might be in the manual, but even with my glasses, I get a headache trying to read it.)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Having the day off from work was my number one determining factor. You of course don't go if the weather is complete crap and you know that the chances of a launch are near zero, but a million different things can stop a launch cold so you can't dwell on it too much. I have always just gone for the experience of waiting for the launch. Back when the shuttle was going up pretty much any viewing area around Kennedy will be packed with like minded people and simply hanging out with that crowd is worth it. The shuttle going up at the end is just a bonus.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I get the small lunch that are just as fun. I work on launch systems for a type of rocket. Its fascinating.
They small ones are just as fun. There was alway a lot of fanfare around the shuttle launches and they attracted everyone. The small launches attracted only the real hardcore fans. The physical experience (ground shaking, noise, etc) was not quite as good, but the company was extra special.

JPatton

Original Poster
It's just rather silly to keep asking Sea World fans why they don't have a problem with Sea World. Answer: because we like it. We will keep on liking it long after you've moved on to your next cause.

There really isn't a debate. We, the Sea World fans in the Sea World fan forum, like Sea World.

You guys don't.

There is no debate there. You're not changing our minds and we aren't changing yours.

Answer (again): because we like it.

It's going to be the same answer every time you ask.

Well, luv, is there anything that you don’t like about it? If you could go back and substantially change something about the park that consequently would have prevented the Dawn Brancheau incident, would you do that?

What, if anything, is “controversial” about wanting to improve the lives of captive orcas---or to imagine them to be in their natural environment?

What are you afraid of regarding those who may oppose orca captivity? Where does the anger come from on this subject?

Do you consider yourself to be a person who values entertainment above worker safety and the animals that may be exploited in the process of creating entertainment?

When leaving SeaWorld at the end of the day, have you ever given thought to the orcas you are leaving behind? Have you ever considered that, unlike you, they may never leave the park? And are probably in smaller enclosures than the one you saw them in during your visit?

Do you have friends or family member who will not got to SeaWorld with you because of Blackfish or because they cannot support orca captivity?

If you thought that the orcas at SeaWorld live significantly diminished lives---and even suffer on occasion---because of their captivity, would you still buy a ticket to SeaWorld?

Do you believe that a person can like some of the things that SeaWorld does and still choose to not visit in the hope that not visiting might help bring about needed, positive change in the area of orca captivity?

Do you know that orcas are the largest and most intelligent animals in captivity?

Have you ever seen orcas in the wild? Would you be interested to see them in the wild?

Sincere questions… You might not choose to answer. But I can ask, can't I? :happy:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, since we're asking questions, just who is your employer? Just how much are you getting paid? How can one get into this line of obviously profitable work? How many sites do you have to infest? Inquiring minds want to know.

Especially considering any responses will just involve random quotes from others anyway....

luv

I like Sea World. I enjoy seeing the trainers in the water with the whales and would get in there myself, if I could. The only changes I want are to see the trainers back in the water, have Shamu kiss a guest, have a Flamingo Day where they talk all about the Flamingos (my favorites, even if they are so stinky) and to be able to bring in whatever food I like...or at least sell me what I want to eat.

I wouldn't even care if they still captured whales from the ocean, which of course, they don't. If you think I'm bad, you should meet some members of my family. You'd stroke out.

My closest friends all happen to like Sea World. Almost everyone I've ever known lived near Sea World and liked or loved it. Usually, when it's brought up, I hear, "I LOVE Sea World." Even people in Orlando who won't go near Disney or Uni - most of them like Sea World. It's a beautiful park and you get an up-close experience with animals that you'd otherwise never get to see. Just an amazing experience. I probably wouldn't give a hoot about manatees, whales or dolphins if I hadn't had my interest piqued at Sea World.

There are a lot of people who donate to some of the same causes you support because they began to care about these animals at Sea World.

I have met good hearted but misguided people IRL who are all worked up about this dumb movie, but most of those I know who have heard about it just dismiss it. Blip on the radar - passing political, hippie-type thing, not paying it any attention. The subject really doesn't come up a lot, like it does here.

What I hear most, when people discuss it, is "They say that Sea World treats those animals badly, but I do not believe that." Honestly. That's the comment I hear most.

Most people like the place. A lot.

I am proud of Sea World. When marine life is in danger, Sea World is always the one to show up and the one who takes the animal in to care for it.

I've loved Sea World for...well, neveryoumind exactly how many years, but my entire life since I became a toddler. I expect I always will.

Love it. Happy with it. A better person because of it. Proud of it. BIG Sea World fan here. Not the only one, either.

I love Shamu. I love the Shamu show. It's fascinating, exciting and fun. I want the trainers back in the water. Really, I want to be in the water, but watching them is the next best thing.

Get the trainers back in the water!!

Last edited:

919Florida

What, if anything, is “controversial” about wanting to improve the lives of captive orcas---or to imagine them to be in their natural environment?
Nothing is controversial about wanting to improve lives. There is always something you can do to get things better and to make them better. SeaWorld is always learning more and that’s why in the past couple years $70 million dollars have been spent on upgrading and better care for the orcas

What are you afraid of regarding those who may oppose orca captivity? Where does the anger come from on this subject?
Never once did Luv they are afraid of anything so that is putting words in their mouth. I also have not seen any anger come from Luv.

Do you consider yourself to be a person who values entertainment above worker safety and the animals that may be exploited in the process of creating entertainment?
Worker safety and the safety of the animals are just fine at SeaWorld. You are taking propaganda from a one sided film and making facts what you want them to say. The trainers and all other workers are safe as they can be. You cannot ever make a job 100% safe there are risks everywhere.

When leaving SeaWorld at the end of the day, have you ever given thought to the orcas you are leaving behind? Have you ever considered that, unlike you, they may never leave the park? And are probably in smaller enclosures than the one you saw them in during your visit?
Every time I leave SeaWorld I do think of the animals and not only the orcas but also the dolphins, sea lions, belugas etc. There is more to SeaWorld then orca's buddy! I think how lucky they are not to have to deal with the dangers of man and humans in the wild. No worries about whalers, pollution, predators, getting sick. They are well cared for whether you want to admit it or not.

Do you have friends or family member who will not got to SeaWorld with you because of Blackfish or because they cannot support orca captivity?
I do not. All my friends and family go with me still. Some people at work have asked for my opinions on things because they know how much I know about SeaWorld and they value my input on it which I happily have given to them.

If you thought that the orcas at SeaWorld live significantly diminished lives---and even suffer on occasion---because of their captivity, would you still buy a ticket to SeaWorld?
I buy my platinum pass every year for the last 5 years because over the years I have learned the truth. They do not suffer. If they suffered and was not happy there they would not be performing like they do. You cannot make an animal like that just perform. They listen to the trainers and they have great bonds with the trainers.

Do you believe that a person can like some of the things that SeaWorld does and still choose to not visit in the hope that not visiting might help bring about needed, positive change in the area of orca captivity?
The anti cap community and blackfish supporters rarely if any like SeaWorld. They also dont beleive in orca captavity. They want the animals released period.

Do you know that orcas are the largest and most intelligent animals in captivity?
I do and I have learned that from SeaWorld.

Have you ever seen orcas in the wild? Would you be interested to see them in the wild?
Never have but would like too. Not like I have not tried though. I have been out in the ocean before on small boats and never have seen a dolphin or whale.

Sincere questions… You might not choose to answer. But I can ask, can't I? :happy:
There you go I answered your questions. Would you respond to the post that was several pages back on the former trainer who criticized Blackfish and what is stood for. Here is the link if you might have missed it http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/blackfish.873858/page-27#post-5866966

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Oy.

Over simplification and rhetoric is a weak path for rebels to have their moment in the Sun. The sun will set on Blackfish soon enough and the anarchists will find a new cause to protest. Even the flower power children of the '60s knew when to give it a rest.

A way of life for many. We have a famous atheist in Illinois who jumps from one infraction to the next, rebel church group that thrive from the attention of disrupting military funerals around the country and today we have Bill Nye the Science Guy's moment in the Sun voicing his latest cause, (to which he'll charge admission as he spreads his word. :greedy:) And we don't keep score in T-Ball and everyone is a winner, everyone gets a trophy.

Blah.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom