BLACKFISH

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv

The best reason to continue this thread is so that all the hippie/PETA BS about Sea World has a place and we can have threads that actually discuss Sea World in other places. And to use big, multi-colored fonts, of course. :)

Sea World is an amazing park that deserves to be appreciated...and those who appreciate it should have a place for it.

It was really crowded over the Christmas season, too. I don't think the protestors are having the success they think they're having.

BuddyThomas

The best reason to continue this thread is so that all the hippie/PETA BS about Sea World has a place and we can have threads that actually discuss Sea World in other places. And to use big, multi-colored fonts, of course. :)

Sea World is an amazing park that deserves to be appreciated...and those who appreciate it should have a place for it.

It was really crowded over the Christmas season, too. I don't think the protestors are having the success they think they're having.
Funny thing: You guys who are so against the movie and against anyone saying anything that even slightly raises an issue with Sea World are the ones who keep posting here over and over again with the snide condescending remarks, and thus keep pushing the thread to the very top topic on the Sea World board.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Funny thing: You guys who are so against the movie and against anyone saying anything that even slightly raises an issue with Sea World are the ones who keep posting here over and over again with the snide condescending remarks, and thus keep pushing the thread to the very top topic on the Sea World board.
One sub-forum on the site. I'll live with the ignominy.

And if Mr. Patton hadn't decided to use this forum for his own personal gains (and of course those of the film), we wouldn't be around to knock either....

Voxel

President of Progress City
Funny thing: Many of us are not against people saying anything that even slightly raises an issue with Sea World. We are tired of someone using child like tactics of BOLD, color, and pictures, they are unprofessional and do not belong in a debate. Hence why many people laugh at this guy:
dragon1_custom-a855861a4a19314df0b6ebfda01e09d4d8ca2e6f-s6-c30.jpg

If a side is gonna be present with child like unprofessional means of course we are going to jest and ridicule. They shouldn't be making an argument for a side if they cant present information or a case in a professional manor.

Voxel

And before you ask my credentials in debate, I covered most major academic debates in my College news paper for 3 years.

BuddyThomas

One sub-forum on the site. I'll live with the ignominy.

And if Mr. Patton hadn't decided to use this forum for his own personal gains (and of course those of the film), we wouldn't be around to knock either....
What are "his own personal gains"? I honestly don't know. Do you? Please educate me on what he is personally gaining, other than the contempt of the bunch of you.

luv

It's a Sea World fan board. You came to slam Sea World. You knew it wouldn't be the popular view with the Sea World fans.

If you want to cheer about that ridiculous "documentary" and put down Sea World without us taking it amiss, you'd do it on a blackfish or a PETA board.

I suspect you did it here because you wanted to hear people say you're a bunch of hippie whiners who are giving Sea World a bad rap. And you heard that.

Sea World has had protestors for decades and it will continue to have them. It's not a new thing. It's just extra popular now, for a little while, because of that movie and all the news stories.

Sea World will go on and we will continue to like it and although you and the rest of those who hop from bandwagon to bandwagon will move on, there will still be protestors. PETA will still make digs now and then.

Same stuff, different day.

BuddyThomas

It's a Sea World fan board. You came to slam Sea World. You knew it wouldn't be the popular view with the Sea World fans.

If you want to cheer about that ridiculous "documentary" and put down Sea World without us taking it amiss, you'd do it on a blackfish or a PETA board.

I suspect you did it here because you wanted to hear people say you're a bunch of hippie whiners who are giving Sea World a bad rap. And you heard that.

Sea World has had protestors for decades and it will continue to have them. It's not a new thing. It's just extra popular now, for a little while, because of that movie and all the news stories.

Sea World will go on and we will continue to like it and although you and the rest of those who hop from bandwagon to bandwagon will move on, there will still be protestors. PETA will still make digs now and then.

Thanks for hurling another PETA jab. Nice job.

So in your opinion, nothing should ever change? Sea World is perfect as it is and should not adjust in any way in the 21st Century? If the rest of the world felt that way, lions and tigers would still be treated with a ringmaster's whip at circuses, animals at zoos would still be in cinder block barred cells instead of given room to roam freely as is now the case at the majority of zoos, and so that this stays on topic, don't get me started on the many social changes that have happened recently as society has become more enlightened.

I don't see anyone in here who is trying to shut down Sea World. They do a lot of good but whales in captivity in 2014 is pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:

JPatton

Original Poster
Gabriela%2BCowperthwaite%2BooVyb_U-qj5m.jpg

THE ACADEMY CONVERSATIONS
Writer/Director Gabriela Cowperthwaite speaks about BLACKFISH
The Samuel Goldwyn Theatre
July, 2013

GC: "I am a mother who took her kids to SeaWorld. When I heard about the Dawn Brancheau incident in the media I read as much as I could about it. I found it very confusing. I kind of thought to myself---this doesn’t square with anything that I know about killer whales and their intelligence and I just sort of thought they didn’t do that to us, especially in that park. I sort of thought that they are our friends here on this planet just as dolphins are. We have these images of these animals and it just didn’t make sense."

"I thought it was a one-off. I thought it was an aberration. I just wanted to investigate what it is about us that desires to have a relationship with our predator counterparts. So I had this bigger philosophical film in mind. I read some. I would read a little bit and the more I read the more confounding it got. First I read that she tripped and fell. Then there was this ponytail theory and then it sounded like it was a playful event."

"Then I read the autopsy report and it’s just a terrible thing to read and to imagine. And it became just this---I guess I didn’t want it to be deliberate. I didn’t want it to be this sort of attack. And so from that moment…and then another kind of revelatory moment was when I found out that he had killed twice before. Suddenly I realized I couldn’t make the film that I was going to be making. I felt in a strange way that I was being kind of compelled to tell the truth here. It wasn't sort of, you know, my original directive or what I had in mind. And I think that a lot of documenters will tell you that. You feel compelled. You can’t not tell the story."

"The former SeaWorld trainers have all seen it. Some of them knew each other. Some of them overlapped in their tenure at SeaWorld. Some didn’t. Some came much much later. In fact, we have one guy in the film who left SeaWorld not even a year ago. So he came on very late because he had just quit and he was still nervous and backed out of one interview after we had flown out there to go interview him. He said, “I can’t. I can’t do this.” Two months later, three months later---we revisited that."

"There’s a quality that all of these people have---its almost a confessional quality. Maybe it comes through the film. I hope it does. They’re my ‘Apostles’ and I sort of refer to them as that. They have the message from the other side. There is a lot of guilt. There is a confessional aspect to this in that they sort of needed to talk about this and let it go before they can kind of move on. They all have new careers now. They were never able to let go of what happened and felt that they abandoned the animals and the animals are very likely doing worse and---my gosh---their colleagues---one of them died. So they just sort of feel like they can’t shut that door without kind of talking some of this stuff through."

"To the extent that all captivity is bad or is probably very likely a bad thing, I always thought that killer whales at SeaWorld are probably treated better than like a primate in a defunct zoo. So in my mind I was not going into this film to talk about the state of the whales or mistreatment of whales or anything like that. I completely backed into it. You peel back the onion and it’s shocking. And in fact what shocks people a lot is that this seems so incendiary. The film seems so incendiary. But it is so tip of the iceberg. I wanted the self-restraint to stick with a single story. I wanted to tell audiences the story of Tilikum. Start 40 years back and just march him through as a protagonist because I didn’t want to shoehorn all these activist facts to overwhelm people because I don’t learn that way and I don’t think everybody learns that way. I was sort of like---you trust your audience--- you know."

"I think at this point I just have such hope. Yes, I do feel that you come out of these films with hopefully a little bit of shock and anger. Some questions. Some more questions and then ultimately---hope."

919Florida

Very well said Luv. Excellent post here. This is a SeaWorld forum for fans of SeaWorld and those wanting to plan trip to SeaWorld and get ideas so it’s going to be frequented by people who are fans of the park wanting to share information. SeaWorld fans are not running to "blackfish" pages and "peta" pages to expose the truth to the them. Simply for the fact they are set in their ways and their opinions will not be changed. Or how blackfish fans and peta activist have to reply to every single SeaWorld facebook post with the link to blackfish trailers on youtube.

You will not change the minds of SeaWorld fans because we know what’s going on. This is nothing we have not heard before. It’s the same old same old that peta and anti-cap activist have been dragging up for decades.

SeaWorld will continue to go on and it will get over this bump in the road like it always does. Like I have mentioned the real people that matter are speaking with their feet and money in the parks. The parks have been very busy and people are having a good time and learning at the same time.

To be reminded in every post that the shamu show has got to go is very childish and not intended to prove any point but to throw it in the face of us pro SeaWorld people.

JPatton

Original Poster
Bullies for someone who came to this site for the sole purpose of being a paid spokesman, using the efforts of someone else to spread his propaganda? As long as you pay me what he makes, of course....

Check it. I don't work for anyone. I'm not paid for posting here. I don't need the money, my SeaWorld stock has done so well...

Voxel

Thanjs for hurling another PETA jab. Nice job.

So in your opinion, nothing should ever change? Sea World is perfect as it is and should not adjust in any way in the 21st Century? If the rest of the world felt that way, lions and tigers would still be treated with a ringmaster's whip at circuses, animals at zoos would still be in cinder block barred cells instead of given room to roam freely as is now the case at the majority of zoos, and so that this stays on topic, don't get me started on the many social changes that have happened recently as society has become more enlightened.

I don't see anyone in here who is trying to shut down Sea World. They do a lot of good but whales in captivity in 2014 is pretty ridiculous.
Well for fare point. PETA killed (Sorry Put down) 92.5% of the animals it rescued since 1998.
Killing rescued animals immediately in 2014 is pretty ridiculous.

JPatton

Original Poster
I might be releasing a big story tomorrow that will further discredit blackfish.

Well, that ship has sort of sailed....

You're about a year late for that. But bring it.

By the way, I thought you said on your podcast that you were going to discuss BLACKFISH only once, then never discuss it again.

Has the film been more successful than you anticipated?

919Florida

Gabriela%2BCowperthwaite%2BooVyb_U-qj5m.jpg

THE ACADEMY CONVERSATIONS
Writer/Director Gabriela Cowperthwaite speaks about BLACKFISH
The Samuel Goldwyn Theatre
July, 2013

GC: "I am a mother who took her kids to SeaWorld. When I heard about the Dawn Brancheau incident in the media I read as much as I could about it. I found it very confusing. I kind of thought to myself---this doesn’t square with anything that I know about killer whales and their intelligence and I just sort of thought they didn’t do that to us, especially in that park. I sort of thought that they are our friends here on this planet just as dolphins are. We have these images of these animals and it just didn’t make sense."

"I thought it was a one-off. I thought it was an aberration. I just wanted to investigate what it is about us that desires to have a relationship with our predator counterparts. So I had this bigger philosophical film in mind. I read some. I would read a little bit and the more I read the more confounding it got. First I read that she tripped and fell. Then there was this ponytail theory and then it sounded like it was a playful event."

"Then I read the autopsy report and it’s just a terrible thing to read and to imagine. And it became just this---I guess I didn’t want it to be deliberate. I didn’t want it to be this sort of attack. And so from that moment…and then another kind of revelatory moment was when I found out that he had killed twice before. Suddenly I realized I couldn’t make the film that I was going to be making. I felt in a strange way that I was being kind of compelled to tell the truth here. It wasn't sort of, you know, my original directive or what I had in mind. And I think that a lot of documenters will tell you that. You feel compelled. You can’t not tell the story."

"The former SeaWorld trainers have all seen it. Some of them knew each other. Some of them overlapped in their tenure at SeaWorld. Some didn’t. Some came much much later. In fact, we have one guy in the film who left SeaWorld not even a year ago. So he came on very late because he had just quit and he was still nervous and backed out of one interview after we had flown out there to go interview him. He said, “I can’t. I can’t do this.” Two months later, three months later---we revisited that."

"There’s a quality that all of these people have---its almost a confessional quality. Maybe it comes through the film. I hope it does. They’re my ‘Apostles’ and I sort of refer to them as that. They have the message from the other side. There is a lot of guilt. There is a confessional aspect to this in that they sort of needed to talk about this and let it go before they can kind of move on. They all have new careers now. They were never able to let go of what happened and felt that they abandoned the animals and the animals are very likely doing worse and---my gosh---their colleagues---one of them died. So they just sort of feel like they can’t shut that door without kind of talking some of this stuff through."

"To the extent that all captivity is bad or is probably very likely a bad thing, I always thought that killer whales at SeaWorld are probably treated better than like a primate in a defunct zoo. So in my mind I was not going into this film to talk about the state of the whales or mistreatment of whales or anything like that. I completely backed into it. You peel back the onion and it’s shocking. And in fact what shocks people a lot is that this seems so incendiary. The film seems so incendiary. But it is so tip of the iceberg. I wanted the self-restraint to stick with a single story. I wanted to tell audiences the story of Tilikum. Start 40 years back and just march him through as a protagonist because I didn’t want to shoehorn all these activist facts to overwhelm people because I don’t learn that way and I don’t think everybody learns that way. I was sort of like---you trust your audience--- you know."

"I think at this point I just have such hope. Yes, I do feel that you come out of these films with hopefully a little bit of shock and anger. Some questions. Some more questions and then ultimately---hope."

Gabriela can say all she wants that she did not have an agenda but when it boils down to it and you watch this so called film you see the agenda. It was anti SeaWorld from the start.

I came across this quote in one of her many recent interviews. I find it hilarious

Q.
You’re on the Oscar shortlist for what is officially called the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. From your point of view, what makes this film something more than just an example of dogged investigative journalism and moves it into the realm of art?

A.
I feel like films don’t work when they feel like medicine. I don’t think people want to go see a documentary that tells them how to feel or think. If I just give them information, audiences are too smart for that. They would know I was attempting to serve up a message, and I didn’t want the film to feel manipulative. If I can’t keep people who have never given a thought to animal welfare issues in their seat for 80 minutes, then I’ve failed. And I chose to do that through a very tight, driving and disciplined story.

That was really hard to do because I could have gone in a thousand directions. In fact, I left a lot of information out, which most journalists wouldn’t have advised. But I knew I would lose the audience if I screwed up the pacing because I was shoehorning too many facts in there. Those are all creative decisions, artistic decisions

I love to see she ADMITTED to letting a lot of information out of the film. Yep every positive piece on SeaWorld was left out. way to go lady. Also to say that she did not want the film to me manipulative. Really? Look what this film has done. It had a message point blank to make SeaWorld out to be the target. Using the dramatic music and video footage she did was her way of telling the audience how to feel.

Last edited:

919Florida

Well, that ship has sort of sailed....

You're about a year late for that. But bring it.

By the way, I thought you said on your podcast that you were going to discuss BLACKFISH only once, then never discuss it again.

Has the film been more successful than you anticipated?

Because of people like you out there spreading the mis truths and false inforamtion and how the media plays into it we need a responsible person like OFTEric to bring the facts out as mainsteam as he can. He speaks the truth when the people in the media are scared to.

BuddyThomas

Well for fare point. PETA killed (Sorry Put down) 92.5% of the animals it rescued since 1998.
Killing rescued animals immediately in 2014 is pretty ridiculous.
Agreed but I have nothing to freaking do with PETA. It's very easy for you guys to keep blabbering PETA, PETA, PETA, hippie, hippie, hippie and all the other personal insults instead of adding something of substance to the debate.

luv

Thanks for hurling another PETA jab. Nice job.

I didn't hurtle anything. Of course PETA was going to join this. This is so PETA-like. That was kind of a given.

If you to come to a Sea World fan board and say they're terrible, you'll encounter those who disagree.

You knew that when you started.

I love Sea World.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Because of people like you out there spreading the mis truths and false inforamtion and how the media plays into it we need a responsible person like OFTEric to bring the facts out as mainsteam as he can. He speaks the truth when the people in the media are scared to.
It's not that the media is scared, it's that a well rounded story isn't "dramatic" and doesn't gain ratings / clicks / reads. Which, is exactly what Ms. Cumberbatch (or whatever her name is) said in the quotes posted before.

" I knew I would lose the audience if I screwed up the pacing because I was shoehorning too many facts in there. Those are all creative decisions, artistic decisions"

One Two Three, Release the Orca's SET THEM FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom