"Black box" interchangeable dark ride coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?

Hotamber

I hope they let you pick the ending from three different choices... oh Horizons already did it. I wonder if this will be that speeder bike/wreck it Ralph racer rumored attraction (a bike with a dome screen) that could easily fit into this space and opened quickly. They need more at DHS fast before Star Wars. Universal pulling patents for interactive games and rides for the third park and Nintendo land most likely got this fast tracked.

Magenta Panther

I am still bummed about losing one man's dream, we walked through it and watched the movie every visit to WDW we made. My kids and I are HUGE Disney Geeks.
That being said, all it has been lately is movie shows for big releases and Launch bay...

So to see it potentially be replaced to add some kind of ride and capacity, I can live with that.

I don't think losing OMD is a done deal yet. If it's decided that it has to go in favor of (probably) one of Iger's stupid acquisitions, then it ought to be installed in the cinema on Main Street, along with at least some of the exhibits. I can hardly think of a more appropriate place for a tribute to Walt. If only there was someone in the current Disney regime that cared about that...

Hotamber

I think the Disney family is requesting most of the items back from one man's dream for the Walt Disney family museum. His office already went. OMD was to celebrate his 100th birthday in 2001 it was never ment to become an untouchable shrine.

Plus having it in a park that ripped off Universal Hollywood was always a joke and felt forced to make the park more Disney. It would be nice if Epcot had something as that was his unfinished dream realized by friends and family after his death. His tribute should be futuristic as he was always on the cutting edge and never wanted his parks to feel like a museum

flynnibus

Premium Member
Animation Courtyard is arguably the weakest area of the park, so a large-scale redo would be welcome. If they want an updatable ride AND ACTUALLY UPDATE IT, I think that would be cool. I’m worried they’d stop changing it like TSM, GMR, and ToT. The park has a history of rides they could easily update (and should) but don’t.

Compared to the echo lake frontage of hollow theatres and geriatric Indy show?

Rodan75

It feels like this concept should go in the Play Pavilion at Epcot. Overall I like the concept, and a way to keep things fresh. As long as they change it like every two years or so (preferably every year).

DisneyfanMA

This has probably already been posted a million times, so apologies in advance....... But how about a trackless ride that randomly sends the cars down mulitple paths...like say 3 or 4 alternate scenes within a larger ride/story/experience. this would encourage multiple rides and the fun of seeing "which one you get" each time you ride.

jumpinjamie

In Animation Courtyard it could have an animator's studio theme like the old school tour. Only it would be people working on computers instead of drawing in front of you. I would personally love a randomized ride like ST Adventure Continues where you could get to go into more "obscure" films like Bambi, Meet The Robinsons, Robin Hood etc. instead of the same old Frozen, BATB, Little Mermaid that are over-saturated in the parks.

T.Will

This has become relevant again because Clickbait.com posted an article.

"We are in an age of abundant projection-heavy, screen-based attractions at the Disney Parks and there’s no sign of turning back anytime soon with Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway and the new Spider-Man attraction coming to Disneyland Resort. Well, beyond these announced attractions, Disney has plans to build a ride in what they call a “black box” that would rely heavily on screen and projection technology, allowing the theme of the entire ride to be changed in just weeks, if not days. You may recall that we first told you about this attraction back in May.

Much like some of the attractions listed above, the ride would be trackless, featuring free-roaming vehicles that could easily be reprogrammed. With screens and projectors making up most of the attraction, scenes could be altered (possibly overnight) from one version to the next. The idea here is that a ride could be changed from one intellectual property to a more current “IP” in little-to-no time.

The “black box” term comes from the appearance of the attraction when everything is turned off. It is essentially a giant warehouse with projection and screen surfaces, a blank canvas. The attraction will feature props and figures with limited movement to try and offset the screens with some moving pieces. Said figures will be designed so they can be switched out whenever the attraction changes.

The attraction is also internally called a “Flex Ride”, since it can have multiple uses, much like a “Flex Space”.

The “black box” dark ride is projected to open in 2022 at Disney California Adventure, at the same time as its Walt Disney World counterpart in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The exact location for each attraction within those parks is unknown, but an educated guess would be Hollywood Land at DCA and the Animation Courtyard area at the Studios."

ObscurityPoint

This has become relevant again because Clickbait.com posted an article.

"We are in an age of abundant projection-heavy, screen-based attractions at the Disney Parks and there’s no sign of turning back anytime soon with Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway and the new Spider-Man attraction coming to Disneyland Resort. Well, beyond these announced attractions, Disney has plans to build a ride in what they call a “black box” that would rely heavily on screen and projection technology, allowing the theme of the entire ride to be changed in just weeks, if not days. You may recall that we first told you about this attraction back in May.

Much like some of the attractions listed above, the ride would be trackless, featuring free-roaming vehicles that could easily be reprogrammed. With screens and projectors making up most of the attraction, scenes could be altered (possibly overnight) from one version to the next. The idea here is that a ride could be changed from one intellectual property to a more current “IP” in little-to-no time.

The “black box” term comes from the appearance of the attraction when everything is turned off. It is essentially a giant warehouse with projection and screen surfaces, a blank canvas. The attraction will feature props and figures with limited movement to try and offset the screens with some moving pieces. Said figures will be designed so they can be switched out whenever the attraction changes.

The attraction is also internally called a “Flex Ride”, since it can have multiple uses, much like a “Flex Space”.

The “black box” dark ride is projected to open in 2022 at Disney California Adventure, at the same time as its Walt Disney World counterpart in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The exact location for each attraction within those parks is unknown, but an educated guess would be Hollywood Land at DCA and the Animation Courtyard area at the Studios."
Soooooo any guesses on what ip they’d be using for this one?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom