BK all but confirmed!!

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Heres some info from the whatnew page of Steves site.

19 September 2001: Reign of Fire

As promised here are some more details of the new land and MAJOR attraction heading for Animal Kingdom

The Story, Ride System and Land layout have been finalised
Designs include an entire new Land, and a new major E-ticket THRILL attraction
The Eride attraction has a budget in excess of $120 million
The attraction is currently being steered to have a tie-in with the upcoming movie "Reign of Fire"
Details on the upcoming movie can be found here http://www.upcomingmovies.com/reign-of-fire.html
The Ride System is a track layout, but it remains unclear as to whether this will be a coaster, or a "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" type ride system
A high proportion of the ride is to take place outside (a quarter of it will be indoors)
The finale of the ride includes a large drop, and high G manoeuvres

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by Goofster
I'm so excited! 120 mil, what's that compared to other E-Tickets?
I'd probably prefer a coaster to the JICOE right now.

As long as it was a e -ticket. it wouldnr matter to me what it was. Theres been talk about the main attraction is BK. But what about the others that are going to be in it as well.

tommy112973

BK????

Im dumbfounded with the idea that the name would be BEASTLY KINGDOM, that name is awful...and where did it even come from, its always mentioned and there really hasnt been any explaination why that name would come about.....if anyone could help...please do.

and one more thing......if it where to be called BK, would it be another park....from what im gathering, its a ride within AK.....i would call that an attraction, not another theme park with an awful name.....

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Re: BK????

Originally posted by tommy112973
Im dumbfounded with the idea that the name would be BEASTLY KINGDOM, that name is awful...and where did it even come from, its always mentioned and there really hasnt been any explaination why that name would come about.....if anyone could help...please do.

and one more thing......if it where to be called BK, would it be another park....from what im gathering, its a ride within AK.....i would call that an attraction, not another theme park with an awful name.....

Tommy! BK is just the name of a land going in AK. I love the name BK

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by JAY-ROD

As long as it was a e -ticket. it wouldnr matter to me what it was. Theres been talk about the main attraction is BK. But what about the others that are going to be in it as well.

I think you will be looking at a 1 attraction land for the time being. :)

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwmagic

I think you will be looking at a 1 attraction land for the time being. :)

Steves thats a bummer! Seems if this one eride does well and boasts attendence, then it might be a long time before they fill in that land with other attraction. I'd just say spend the money and create the whole land and make us happy. :)

Keysmickey

I think you will be looking at a 1 attraction land for the time being.
Hope you don't mind some disagreement Steve, but that doesn't make sense to me. It seems they've learned their lesson with 1 attraction areas with Dinosaur & TT (at Epcot) for instance, pulling huge crowds to one attraction causes Park flow problems and while I agree that it will likely be a one e-ticket land for quite some time, I'd fully expect 2 to 3 minor atttractions - just like Dino-Rama was desperately needed for Dinoland and a successful "something" is still needed in Harambe to compliment the Safari (IMO)...Perhaps that is what you meant?

Lastly, don't get me wrong, as an AP holder and an AK lover I am thrilled with the positive buzz about BK in any shape or form!
:D :D :D :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by Keysmickey

Hope you don't mind some disagreement Steve, but that doesn't make sense to me. It seems they've learned their lesson with 1 attraction areas with Dinosaur & TT (at Epcot) for instance, pulling huge crowds to one attraction causes Park flow problems and while I agree that it will likely be a one e-ticket land for quite some time, I'd fully expect 2 to 3 minor atttractions - just like Dino-Rama was desperately needed for Dinoland and a successful "something" is still needed in Harambe to compliment the Safari (IMO)...Perhaps that is what you meant?

Lastly, don't get me wrong, as an AP holder and an AK lover I am thrilled with the positive buzz about BK in any shape or form!

LOL :) feel free to disagree ;)

You may be right there will be more than 1 attraction at opening. I have no information to support either case. All I do know is that money is tight, and the budget they have assigned to the Eticket is BIG. I cant see them having a lot spare for anything else in the near future.

Park flow problems dont seem to figure in plans right now. Look at MGM. The bottom of end of Sunset directs about 90% of people to that end of the park.

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwmagic

LOL :) feel free to disagree ;)

You may be right there will be more than 1 attraction at opening. I have no information to support either case. All I do know is that money is tight, and the budget they have assigned to the Eticket is BIG. I cant see them having a lot spare for anything else in the near future.

Park flow problems dont seem to figure in plans right now. Look at MGM. The bottom of end of Sunset directs about 90% of people to that end of the park.

Maybe thats why there cutting jobs and closing the park early. lol So they can get the money for the other attraction in BK. :rolleyes: ;)

Keysmickey

I can agree that probably 95% of the funding may be directed to the "wow" attraction, but simpler attractions...3-d movie or new stage show are relatively inexpensive...And are needed to support the shops & Pin Stations, lol! What about "Soarin Over Kissimmee"? How expensive to duplicate this ride to BK? I thought I'd heard the clones would be relatively cheap.

As for MGM, well thats a horse of a different color...Blue, I think:( and flow has improved around the Park with the exception of the TOT, RnR, Fantsmic, B&B area...But then the attractions are there so that "bottleneck" isn't the same type of headache, right?

LOL Jay-Rod, that could be it! But seriously, they still HAVE NOT officially fired anybody yet, I don't believe. I think they're are doing their best with the situation in front of them...

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
I can agree that probably 95% of the funding may be directed to the "wow" attraction, but simpler attractions...3-d movie or new stage show are relatively inexpensive...And are needed to support the shops & Pin Stations, lol! What about "Soarin Over Kissimmee"? How expensive to duplicate this ride to BK? I thought I'd heard the clones would be relatively cheap.

As for MGM, well thats a horse of a different color...Blue, I think:( and flow has improved around the Park with the exception of the TOT, RnR, Fantsmic, B&B area...But then the attractions are there so that "bottleneck" isn't the same type of headache, right?

LOL Jay-Rod, that could be it! But seriously, they still HAVE NOT officially fired anybody yet, I don't believe. I think they're are doing their best with the situation in front of them...

To me I think Disney has the money to build BK they way is was meant to be. Wheather or not is anybody guess. Personally I think they need some type of nighttime show. Kept that park open later, which might bring the attendence up.

Another? for ya steve! Where is BK going to go? And dont be a smart pants and say in AK lol that wold be a tramp answer, but where at in AK?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

3D movies are not at all cheap. Something like Bugs or HISTA is in the region of $50 million. I imagine a soarin ride wouldnt be cheap either. Remember these things are all *custom* made, there are no economies of scale going on here. Just producing the movies for these attarctions are expensive, never mind the ride system and show building!

A stage show would be pretty cost effective. I am sure there will be things of that nature there.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by JAY-ROD

Another? for ya steve! Where is BK going to go? And dont be a smart pants and say in AK lol that wold be a tramp answer, but where at in AK?

Go here
http://www.wdwmagic.com/beastly.htm
and in the top photo its in the bottom left corner that shows cleared land, near to the bus stop area. :)

In the actual park it is in the Camp Mickey area.

Keysmickey

Thanks Steve. You're right, those attractions wouldn't be cheap, I only meant in comparison. I wasn't sure about 3-D technology (took a shot in the dark and shot my foot!), but regading "Soarin", hasn't the difficult part been done? It's already been designed, produced & put into use? I would think a simple duplication would be "relatively" cheap...What am I missing? Is the actual production of this type of ride THAT expensive?

Also, will BK replace Camp Minnie Mickey? render it moot? or exist in harmony with?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Well with the Soarin attraction, you would be faced with....

1. Produce the Movie for the attraction
2. Produce the ride system
3. Build the show building
4. Theme the show building
5. Integrate the new building with its surroundings.

The only thing that could be recycled would be the ride system. The other items would be unique for the AK version of the attraction.

The fact that they have built one of these before would mean the design work for the ride system would be done, but they still have to custom build it again. Not cheap at all. Remember there are no companies churning these things out like they do with coasters. It is 100% custom made.

I dont know specifics, but I am guesssing you would still be looking in the $50million ball park.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Also, will BK replace Camp Minnie Mickey? render it moot? or exist in harmony with?

There were suggestions that to get to BK you would pass over a bridge leaving from Camp MM. There have also been rumors that Camp MM would be completely removed. So until I hear more, I would be guessing. :)

MrPromey

It should also be pointed out that if there were more than one attraction, it would do nothing to help crowd flow because it would be pulling more people to that one area. As Steve said, you would end up with a situation similar to Sunset Blvd. as will probably be the case with TT and Mission Space when it opens... Also, one could easily argue your TT example because that isn't a single attraction for a land. That's one pavilion in Future World for Epcot, not really it's own exclusive area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom