michaelnyc

Original Poster
anyone else feel like this?
after 30+ trips to wdw, almost all of them during my birthday
birthdays just do not feel magical in disney anymore
i even stopped wearing the buttons
less and less cast members acknowledge them
the last time not one person said happy birthday for the entire day

anyone else feel like the birthday magic is gone?

Tinkerbell 8

I've been to disney for multiple birthdays, when we got engaged, our anniversary and our honeymoon and each time CM's always acknowledged it. I never expected anything free or extra, however on every trip atleast one CM did something above and beyond their duty and made me feel special.

JIMINYCR

Agree!

So many people claim to be celebrating a birthday now that it's no big deal to the cast members. People wear the buttons expecting to get a ton of attention and free food, even though it's not their birthday.

Yeah, it's like other things in life... offer something free and watch the crowds come. Maybe there should be a Bday restriction made. If your Bday is in the month of your trip you get.... if its within 2 mos or 3 mos you get.... CMs at city hall mark the appropriate date of the Bday on the pin before giving out?

When we went last year for my son's 4th birthday everyone told him Happy Birthday! They even let him "drive" the boat on the Jungle Cruise because it was his b-day. Then noticed that there was happy birthday mickey ears, so we had to buy those too! Then when we went to hand the CM our money, she wouldn't take it. She told him that Mickey wanted to buy them for him!

Aurora1

I celebrated my 21st in Disney (and my 19th) and my friends got me the buttons. I wasn't expecting anything, but at every restaurant and ride I got a chorus of Happy Birthdays, a few desserts and an AWESOME version of Happy Birthday from a great Disney Bus Driver! But, the best moment was when we were walking through DTD and someone spotted my pin. They turned a ton of TV screens in the area to say "Happy Birthday Aurora" and everyone (cast member and guest) we walked by stopped to say happy birthday! Such a fun, unique moment that I'll never forget!

I_heart_Tigger

My niece wore her birthday button because it was actually her birthday the week we were at Disney. Some families do it because it's their birthday month or their birthday was 6 weeks or 3 months ago. That seems silly to me. I was there 3 weeks after my birthday and would never wear the button then. I did wear it twice when I was there on my birthday and got a few little treats which was great.

I kind of wish they just stopped giving them out at Guest Services and maybe only gave them out for resort guests when their birthdate is during their stay. That way no one can ask for them and if your birthdate shows on your reservation and is within stay dates you get the pin in your packet.

Of course being Canadian we all (adults and kids) have to have birthdates on our reservations because of flights/border crossing. I'm not sure if everyone requires birthdates for their bookings or not.

HouCuseChickie

I like it for the kids and as recently as November saw my youngest lavished with tons of bday attention. However, when it comes to the adults- I'd rather put in the $ and pay for an over the top bday cake. Sure, it's not the freebie that some people go in looking for, but I promise you- you will get a lot of bday attention if you have a big fabulous cake brought out to your table during your meal...especially if you offer to share your cake with the CMs. ;)

PolynesianPrincess

I think people celebrating their birthday's that day ONLY should get a button. people go the beginning of the month and their birthday is at the end yet they're still celebrating it early. Anyone can celebrate their birthday anytime they want. I think an ID should be required for those over the age of 18 to get a birthday button and under 18, well, just hope the parents will be honest about when their child's birthday really is. I know that will never happen, but it'd be nice!

Tinkerbella16

I never celebrated my Birthday at WDW. This year I will.. I don't ever go in December so I can never actually celebrate ON my bday.. but my November trip is a few weeks before my birthday so this year I am celebrating it there. Why not celebrate it at my most favorite place on earth right! I am not expecting any attention, but I plan on having so much fun for my god-daughter for her first visit and myself that's for sure!! I more so just want the button as a keepsake! :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My kid's birthday is in early October. We go in August.

I have had Disney reps ask me many times if we are celebrating her birthday with the trip, which I flatly respond...No.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom