Biggest ripoff at WDW?

and ride photos are a rip off. Sorry but they are. Now, they keep a close eye to make sure you aren't taking cell photos of the monitors.

I think I have a way around this. Back in 2006, I forget what ride I was coming off of, but I was at the counter looking at the preview screens, and when I saw mine come up, I took out my camera and aimed... but as I did, the screen was immediately switched to the next preview and didn't advance again until I left. But looking back, if I would have watched the order the previews were showed in, and took out my camera at the picture directly before mine, the attendant would probably advance it to the next screen and I could snap my picture.

I'm not sure if this would still work today, or if the pictures are randomized or what, but I think it's definitely worth a shot if you're on a budget, especially if you have a high resolution camera.

alisonwonderlnd

can anyone tell me why so many keep saying Animal Kingdom?
i can understand when someone mentions a certain product,,,ride,,,etc
but AK as a whole?Ive never been so I dont know
is it because the hours are shorter?
we wanted to do AK on our next trip,,,,,:confused:

AswaySuller

can anyone tell me why so many keep saying Animal Kingdom?
i can understand when someone mentions a certain product,,,ride,,,etc
but AK as a whole?Ive never been so I dont know
is it because the hours are shorter?
we wanted to do AK on our next trip,,,,,:confused:

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but...

The hours are atrocious and there simply isn't enough there. I love Disney so much but I almost class AK as a half day park!

I also dislike the fact that there aren't enough indoor Air conditioned exhibits/attractions. The last 3-4 times I've bee there it has been so humid it just saps the energy out of you and can put you in a bad mood. I also think the spacial planning of the park is poor

alisonwonderlnd

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but...

The hours are atrocious and there simply isn't enough there. I love Disney so much but I almost class AK as a half day park!

I also dislike the fact that there aren't enough indoor Air conditioned exhibits/attractions. The last 3-4 times I've bee there it has been so humid it just saps the energy out of you and can put you in a bad mood. I also think the spacial planning of the park is poor

i hope you dont get flamed,,everyone has a right to their opinion
I think DH and i could spend for sure a day at AK...but we are both animal/nature lovers,,,esp,,DH
he would love any extra thing we could do animal wise,,,feeding them,,,lol
etc
i kinda dont like it that the hours are shorter,,,BUT that could be our short day
thanks for your input

Pioneer Hall

I don't know if I would call it a ripoff, but I do feel annoyed at the ticket prices when we go during non-peak weeks.

In the summer and around the holidays, MK can be open as much as 40 hours a week more than during the winter months. Paying the same ticket price for a park that closes at 6:00pm vs midnight or later every night frustrating as there is little to do once the parks close that early.

Additionally, some character meals, particularly Chef Mickey's, is in my opinion, way, way overpriced. Almost $200 dollars for a family of five to eat food no better in quality than your average IHOP or similar breakfast restaurant. I can't classify it as a rip-off because based on supply and demand its a huge success for the CR as its nearly impossible to get an ADR.

Theme parks are run based on the number of attractions you are expected to see in a day. Disney and other companies have surveyed and studied their guests to determine that satisfaction is usually derived by experiencing X number of attractions in a given day. During the slow seasons they close the parks earlier because you can get to that number easier since there are less people in the park for you to contend with. So in theory, you get through the day earlier and satisfied and Disney gets to save operational costs. However, that whole theory is thrown out the window when you deal with guests like us who would stay in a park for 24 hours and ride things over and over if given the chance.

Daddymouse

I would say the cost of parking is a rip off. Although having an annual pass, I do not have to pay for this if I am staying offsite.

Food is comparable to other amusement (theme) parks

Photo Pass = We just paid $1700 (Cheap for a wedding) on a photographer for my daughter's wedding. She did an awesome job over 800 pics. We did Photo Pass two years ago and they took over 200 pictures with their camera plus over 100 with our own camera. $120 for the price is in my HO, well worth the cost.

Minnie1976

I think I have a way around this. Back in 2006, I forget what ride I was coming off of, but I was at the counter looking at the preview screens, and when I saw mine come up, I took out my camera and aimed... but as I did, the screen was immediately switched to the next preview and didn't advance again until I left. But looking back, if I would have watched the order the previews were showed in, and took out my camera at the picture directly before mine, the attendant would probably advance it to the next screen and I could snap my picture.

I'm not sure if this would still work today, or if the pictures are randomized or what, but I think it's definitely worth a shot if you're on a budget, especially if you have a high resolution camera.
I sometimes try and take pictures of those ride pictures with my camera. Some come out good and some don't. Of course, I'm sure they aren't as good as photo you purchase. No CM has ever told me anything. I did this on our last trip in April 2011.

powlessfamily4

I don't have a problem with any of it. Let the buyer beware. It is your job to know the cost of what you are getting into and to protect your own financial interests. If you deem it as junk... don't buy it. Don't like the price of food... bring a lunch. Each to their own. I can't wait until my grown kids start kicking our Grandchildren for me and I get to take my grandaughter to the BBB to spend $$$$ on dressing her as a princess. :)

jlevis

I don't have a problem with any of it. Let the buyer beware. It is your job to know the cost of what you are getting into and to protect your own financial interests. If you deem it as junk... don't buy it. Don't like the price of food... bring a lunch. Each to their own. I can't wait until my grown kids start kicking our Grandchildren for me and I get to take my grandaughter to the BBB to spend $$$$ on dressing her as a princess. :)

Amen! If it is such a rip-off quit going. Our last two trips were with our grandsons. We spent a fortune and it was worth every penny. Going to plan another trip with them next year. :sohappy:

KeithVH

Having read all ten pages, there's something missing here - the 800 pound gorilla in the room all of you are ignoring.

It's your fault. Every single one of you. And everyone who isn't on this forum but goes to the World.

Regardless whether you believe it or not, we're talking supply and demand here. Please note this has nothing to do with capitalism so you Occupiers can go pound silicate. We're talking Econ 101 here. Yeah, maybe not a simple graph but it's there. I'm not talking theory here but reproducable results. And yes, operating costs and such are factored in there somewhere.

Disney charges what it charges for almost everything they have the data showing THAT's what people are willing to pay for any given item/service/feature relative to TDO's P&L statements.

No, you probably won't see many prices going down but they will factor in discounts. With the recent analyst downgrade for the next quarter's profits due to soft Moderate and Deluxe demand, I'll bet we'll see a campaign soon offering pin codes and other offers to help increase consumption.

So maybe we all should start spending less money there and maybe TDO will get a clue?

Skylinecar1982

For all the people saying just "shut up and have fun" or there is nothing overpriced:

Your the reason in the world that things don't improve. Does it make any sense for a company or a person to put an effort into making things better and advancing if the customer already says the product is perfect?

Criticism is something that is very much needed in this world. It prompts others to achieve better.

jlevis

Criticism is something that is very much needed in this world. It's prompts others to achieve better.

The OP wasn't asking for a critique he was asking our opinion of what the biggest ripoff was at Disney. I can appreciate that the distinction isn't necessarly obvious. There are a number of things at Disney I would like to see improved but none of those things constitute a ripoff.

Skylinecar1982

The OP wasn't asking for a critique he was asking our opinion of what the biggest ripoff was at Disney. I can appreciate that the distinction isn't necessarly obvious. There are a number of things at Disney I would like to see improved but none of those things constitute a ripoff.

I am not saying all things that need to improve are automatically ripoffs but , isn't it fair to say all ripoffs need to improve? By either improving price , quality, or by completely removing it. I can't see how expressing your opinion on what is the biggest ripoff is not critique.

MansionGoer13z

Biggest Rip off for me has to be the promise of a wonderful vacation week only to have destroyed by a bunch of annoying Brazillian Tour Groups. Get the Hell out of my vacation!

muse1983

To claim that you have been "ripped off" in WDW is telling me that you simply did absolutely no research before the trip and then when you are surprised by a certain occurrence you claim that it's a "rip off".

Someone said that AK is a rip off because it's only open until 5pm. Is this not something you are aware of before purchasing your ticket? Why don't you utilize a park hopper that day? Do you actually purchase a ticket, enter AK and then are somehow floored by the parks operating hours? I have personally never felt ripped off by anything my wife and I have purchased in WDW and feel that if you do then you simply brought it upon yourself by your lack of planning. No one is putting a gun to your head here...

I mean if you have a legit occurrence of a rip off then that's fine, we could talk about Rip Ride Rockit at Universal for example and how they blatantly try to sell you a video of yourself on the ride only to purchase it and find out its about 30% of you and 70% of ride graphics...that would be a legit complaint...and no I was not stupid enough to purchase a dvd of me on the ride, my friend however was more than eager to do so.

Ah...complaining for the sake of complaining....it never ends:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom