Biggest ripoff at WDW?

Tigger1988

I think the Photopass CD's are like $120....that's a ripoff

Not if you use it to its fullest extent. You can put as many pictures as you want on it and you're also purchasing the copyright.

Not to mention you can get it for $99 if you pre-purchase it.

Chef Mickey

That's actually a very good point. In a way, it really just goes to show how everything in this country is out of whack. The rate of inflation is outpacing the increase in salaries by so much, in time, people will be lucky if they can afford to go on vacation at all.

Both are about 3%. Inflation might be slightly more than salary increases, but you make it sound like a bigger spread than reality.

loveofamouse

For me, the cost of food isnt too crazy, it's just the fact of eating out 3+ times a day.

The rip offs, for me, are the christmas party (went once. EXTREMELY disappointed. Wasn't worth it), ear hats (while I love them and will continue to buy them, they really don't hold up well) and hotels. I love staying on property and while the prices of the hotels aren't horrible, it's the simple fact that they aren't side-by-side with their peers in quality. Yes, you get nice CMs and on site advantages but rooms are better off sight.

loveofamouse

and ride photos are a rip off. Sorry but they are. Now, they keep a close eye to make sure you aren't taking cell photos of the monitors.

CaptainShortty

Light-up balloons simply because my little guy would lose his within an hour. Lol. When he's older, I'll certainly get him a balloon and deflate it before we go home to put in his scrapbook.

Just so you know for the future, you can't "deflate" the light-up balloons. They are made of a plastic material that causes it not to be able to deflate properly. When I worked at DAKL I constantly had to convince children to put their balloons in "balloon babysitting" so it wouldn't hurt the animals and was told that by one of the "balloon babysitters" (aka Bell Services). That being said, the mylar ones are specially designed so they can be deflated for travel and then refilled with helium at home. Just FYI. =)

VoiceGuy07

The resorts, specifically, the Deluxe ones. Disney has priced me out. $400 per night to stay at any Deluxe Resort that holds 5 people to a room???

In case anyone is interested, in the past 20 years, Disney resort prices have increased 100%.

And now Disney has taken the day beds out of many deluxe rooms. 5 people no more! It's only 4 with two queen beds. Day beds are only in a room with a king bed. Kind of sucks.

koryadams

The biggest ripoff...hmmmm. well, my dad is a good one to always be crabby about this stuff, but I can't think of anything being a rip off. If you don't like it, then don't go. Last time I checked, this wasn't WDWScrewYou.com. If you want to talk bad about Disney then go else where. But that is just my opinion. I had when posts are on here negative towards Disney. I don't think this website was created for that. But I may be wrong.

lbrad

Here's one I hadn't thought of, but it doesn't just pertain Disney, but to most theme parks:

Pictures at the end of the ride. That's a disgusting rip off. That 5x7 photo they charge $15 for, costs them about 25 cents.

That price has gone up!
1 5x7 ride photo = $16.95 :eek:
I passed ... I'll make my own for far less :wave:

Thorpyness

OK - I'm guessing you don't have a little girl. You see, any little girl will NOT get jealous :). They will whimper, look at Daddy with tears in their eyes, and explain very clearly why Daddy doesn't love them... unless THEY get to go to BBB :).

This was Marketing BRILLIANCE on Disney's part - there isn't a Daddy on Earth that could survive the tears of his little daughter :).

There is...some of us teach our daughters that it's a cruel world out there !

OldAndBusted

The biggest ripoff...hmmmm. well, my dad is a good one to always be crabby about this stuff, but I can't think of anything being a rip off. If you don't like it, then don't go. Last time I checked, this wasn't WDWScrewYou.com. If you want to talk bad about Disney then go else where. But that is just my opinion. I had when posts are on here negative towards Disney. I don't think this website was created for that. But I may be wrong.

Hmm. Yes. If there's even one tiny little thing that bothers you, then you should just scrap your entire vacation. Strange people on these boards. If you're not absolutely batcrap crazy about every single thing that Disney does, then you're not worthy of posting. This attitude stinks. Fanboyism taken to the extreme.

Kirk88

Last time I went to my local theme park and a zoo I remember saying about food/water, "Wow, these prices are higher than disney!"

WOW! We find ourselves saying the same thing when we go anywhere other than Disney too! We were just at Busch Gardens this past weekend and they were even higher than WDW. Wild Adventures here in Valdosta is ridiculous compared to WDW as well (and we get a discount for being season pass holders)!

loveofamouse

Hmm. Yes. If there's even one tiny little thing that bothers you, then you should just scrap your entire vacation. Strange people on these boards. If you're not absolutely batcrap crazy about every single thing that Disney does, then you're not worthy of posting. This attitude stinks. Fanboyism taken to the extreme.

Exactly. Just because you are a huge fan of something doesn't mean you have to take it all blindly. There's nothing wrong with expressing (maturely) when some small part doesn't tickle you well. Not everyone finds the same things as rip offs. SOME people are able to make points in the contrary about someone else's "rip off" that could cause someone else to say, "hmmm, I never thought of it that way..." It's called a mature, grown up discussion. Some of these same "complaints" can spur change. Look at the new Art of Disney resort. Many people complained that family suites weren't affordable for many families. While it was a COMPLAINT, Disney listened and there was am improvement made.

WOW! We find ourselves saying the same thing when we go anywhere other than Disney too! We were just at Busch Gardens this past weekend and they were even higher than WDW. Wild Adventures here in Valdosta is ridiculous compared to WDW as well (and we get a discount for being season pass holders)!

We went to BG of VA and thought the same thing. Much more expensive for things not even close to Disney quality. It really put some things in perspective. lol

Fable McCloud

How about nothing? Ialways try to make the most out of my trip. Yes it's expensive, but I saved for this trip and I'm going to do it they way I want and make the most out of it! It's a vacation, relax and enjoy!

Well said. I've only been twice, both times funded by me as a poor college student, and dang-it, I had a [mostly] great time. I found nothing to be a "rip-off" though I will agree that the resorts may need to re-think their repricing options. That's why we've just stayed at All Star Movies both times. Affordable, and if I'm at Disney, I am most definitely NOT going to be in my room for anything other than sleeping and showering.

Yes, they could spiff some things up and maybe invest in some better souvenirs, but really, I'm quite happy with the park experience.

Phonedave

To me, for something to be a rip-off it would have to be something I paid for and then felt I got less than expected.

I know what things cost at WDW, and I have never had an unexpected result based on price.

The only time I came close to feeling ripped off was at DisneyQuest. If I had paid for a full day admission I would have felt ripped off. Luckly I had only paid the evening rate. I was led to believe that DisneyQuest was a big arcade, great interactive games, etc. Well, it was not.

-dave

Fresh Hop

Attention: all posts on this thread going forward:

A: biggest ripoff in your opinion
B: why you believe this

OR

A: quote someone else
B: why you disagree

Keep the politics and gripes about the thread away. You're watering it down (of course my own post is contributing to that, but that's beside the point...).

We understand that some people don't like the thread, but frankly, I'm picking up some good information for my next trip and since I haven't been in 10 years, it's helpful.

Radiorox

PARKING!! If you are staying off-property and coming in your own car, to me, the $14 a day is a bit steep.

Ride photo pictures and the cost of T-shirts. I saw a few cool shirts up around $30. Eh, no.

Jackie.

PhilharMagician

PARKING!! If you are staying off-property and coming in your own car, to me, the $14 a day is a bit steep.

Ride photo pictures and the cost of T-shirts. I saw a few cool shirts up around $30. Eh, no.

Jackie.

Then you will hate the $15 parking fee at Universal.

Look at getting on AP for one family member. That will get you free parking and some discounts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom