Biggest deal and biggest rip off

yedliW

Another big "Rip off" - Prices of souvenirs. Yes, I know that's how they make money, but the plastic monorails don't need to cost $89.95...

I got the monorail set when it was on sale on the website.. it is actually a pretty neat little set.. I will be using it as the train that goes around my Christmas tree. :)

for the OP.. I think the Baby's First Haircut package at the main street barber shop is a great deal. We recommend it to anyone with kids that age.

I agree with the person that said desert parties being a rip-off.. (again, as someone who hasn't done one..) but they seem rather pricey for some buffet deserts.. especially as someone who doesn't drink. That said.. I saw a video of the fireworks cruise, and that looks pretty cool.. we may be doing that in the future.. ;) )

I'm a bit surprised that no one has listed the DDP yet.. I don't think it's a total rip off.. but from what comments I've seen, you'd think someone would have said it..

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I agree with the person that said desert parties being a rip-off.. (again, as someone who hasn't done one..) but they seem rather pricey for some buffet deserts.. especially as someone who doesn't drink. That said.. I saw a video of the fireworks cruise, and that looks pretty cool.. we may be doing that in the future.. ;) )

I'm a bit surprised that no one has listed the DDP yet.. I don't think it's a total rip off.. but from what comments I've seen, you'd think someone would have said it..

When I was at EPCOT for a New York Film Academy summer camp, we had a private dessert view area of Illuminations... And I have to say that it the view was great, but the desserts probably less quality of a debbie cake.. Nobody liked any of the desserts.... Except the mickey ice cream bars! They had a whole tray of mickey bars. I was happy :)

I think the DDP is a rip off for families on a budget, but not for those who aren't. Because if your family eats a lot in the parks... Like 3 meals a day, plus a milkshake or a soda two or three times a day... Then I would think that it is actually a good deal.

But I do think that those that are on a budget will find that they could have actually saved a lot of money just eating a burger at counter service restaurants.

matt9112

I think one of the best deals at Disney is that fastpass is free, considering that Universal's express pass (I think that's what it's called?) is quite costly. I understand that fastpass could be considered part of your admission cost at Disney, but Universal's ticket prices are similar and their express pass costs $35.

One of Disney's biggest ripoffs to me are the squeeze breeze bottles. I'm not sure what price they're up to now, but when I worked there two years ago they were 17 dollars and they break constantly. You could easily get the same product at Walmart for much, much cheaper.

Both of those are not alike each system is COMPLETELY different.

mousehockey37

I got the monorail set when it was on sale on the website.. it is actually a pretty neat little set.. I will be using it as the train that goes around my Christmas tree. :)

I got one 2 years ago in WDW. I liked being able to control what color stripe I got. Even with the discounts on the website, by the time they add the taxes in, it's back to what it cost before taxes and shipping to start with... I just remember a time when they were in the $70 price range, nothing's changed with it and it's now $20 more.

The biggest reason no one has said this yet is because the DDP works differently for everyone. There's countless threads on this debating it here.

yedliW

I got one 2 years ago in WDW. I liked being able to control what color stripe I got. Even with the discounts on the website, by the time they add the taxes in, it's back to what it cost before taxes and shipping to start with... I just remember a time when they were in the $70 price range, nothing's changed with it and it's now $20 more.

They were also running a free shipping promo.. so it was about $70..

The biggest reason no one has said this yet is because the DDP works differently for everyone. There's countless threads on this debating it here.

Exactly the reason I thought it would be brought up here.. ;)

I don't think its a great deal.. but I like the convenience of it.. dining is as big a part of the trip for me as some of the rides.. so we usually go with it.

DManRightHere

I think it depends on what you value. I value the extra park time I get with a Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party entry because you get lighter crowds from 7pm to midnight.

Even the Fantasmic! dinner package is worth it, because you do get dinner plus guaranteed decent seating for one of the better shows.

That is the idea to ticketed events, it may control crowds. It may work on me as the wife wants to do mvmcp, but I haven't decided yet. It just sickens me to think of having a hopper pass already, and then forking over another $70 (that is not available at any other merchants) for another 4-5 hours. Maybe I would feel better if there were a discount for guests that already have a pass for the day.

DManRightHere

I don't think its a great deal.. but I like the convenience of it.. dining is as big a part of the trip for me as some of the rides.. so we usually go with it.

I would be very happy to get a dining plan, but it changes the way we eat. I wish they'd make a system where you can choose how many table service, quick service, and snacks you get. I would do it if it saved me 5%. The current method is wasteful for us, we hurt from eating, and have leftover credits!

SAV

Biggest Rip-Off: The Deluxe resorts. I get that the location(of some) is great, but there are more luxurious off-site properties for a lower cost. To me the cost doesn't justify the benefits.

Best deal: Club Cool. What's better than free coke and the ability to trick someone into taking a big swig of Beverly?

Chef Mickey

That is the idea to ticketed events, it may control crowds. It may work on me as the wife wants to do mvmcp, but I haven't decided yet. It just sickens me to think of having a hopper pass already, and then forking over another $70 (that is not available at any other merchants) for another 4-5 hours. Maybe I would feel better if there were a discount for guests that already have a pass for the day.
MVMCP is totally worth it...it's the grand scheme at Disney, what's $70?

mousehockey37

Biggest Rip-Off: The Deluxe resorts. I get that the location(of some) is great, but there are more luxurious off-site properties for a lower cost. To me the cost doesn't justify the benefits.

Best deal: Club Cool. What's better than free coke and the ability to trick someone into taking a big swig of Beverly?

Club Cool is always fun.

Interesting thought on the Deluxe Resorts. If you're someone that doesn't care for EMH, I can see that being true. You just have to deal with getting to the parks then (depending on if where you stay has a shuttle or something).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Interesting thought on the Deluxe Resorts. If you're someone that doesn't care for EMH, I can see that being true. You just have to deal with getting to the parks then (depending on if where you stay has a shuttle or something).

I agree with the Deluxe Resorts for that issue. I normally avoid EMH day parks just to avoid those extra guests in the park.

DisneyDukie

Even the Fantasmic! dinner package is worth it, because you do get dinner plus guaranteed decent seating for one of the better shows.

I've got ADRs for one of those Fantasmic! dinner packages - if you have the Disney Dining Plan, is it included? I thought it was - the Disney website itself seems to indicate that - but then I saw an article on WDWMagic that made me wonder otherwise?

PrincessRachelT

When I was at EPCOT for a New York Film Academy summer camp, we had a private dessert view area of Illuminations... And I have to say that it the view was great, but the desserts probably less quality of a debbie cake.. Nobody liked any of the desserts.... Except the mickey ice cream bars! They had a whole tray of mickey bars. I was happy :).

I did that same program! I believe we did ours the first night, it was like a fun "get to know each other" thing. We also had dinner above America, in their small hall. I don't think I'd pay for it when it wasn't just my group though.

DManRightHere

MVMCP is totally worth it...it's the grand scheme at Disney, what's $70?

I'm tempted, but I'm really there for rides. $70 could pay (almost) my power bill, or 1/3 of my disney meals for the week, or I could just go to another park that is hopefully open past 9pm with my already paid for park hopper.

DfromATX

I've got ADRs for one of those Fantasmic! dinner packages - if you have the Disney Dining Plan, is it included? I thought it was - the Disney website itself seems to indicate that - but then I saw an article on WDWMagic that made me wonder otherwise?

Yes, it is included. We've done it before. It's only select places (we ate at Mama Mia's) but what I didn't like was you could only choose an odd time (like super early or really late).

DisneyDukie

Yes, it is included. We've done it before. It's only select places (we ate at Mama Mia's) but what I didn't like was you could only choose an odd time (like super early or really late).
I've actually got ADRs at Mama Melrose and Hollywood & Vine, because I couldn't decide which would be better. But even though I booked right at the 180-day window, the only options were 2:10pm (lunch) or 4:45pm (dinner). So "unusual times" sounds about right!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom