Biggest deal and biggest rip off

DfromATX

That's not normal. Maybe the other times were just fully booked.

Best deal: Animal Kingdom Lodge Standard View rooms

Biggest ripoff: Cinderella's Royal Table

Perhaps... but I did book right at my 180 window and I remember when I questioned the times they told me it was to encourage business in the slow part of the day. I think we ate lunch at 3:00. And, I do realize now I said "Mama Mia's" but I guess you knew what I meant lol.

CaptainAmerica

Perhaps... but I did book right at my 180 window and I remember when I questioned the times they told me it was to encourage business in the slow part of the day. I think we ate lunch at 3:00. And, I do realize now I said "Mama Mia's" but I guess you knew what I meant lol.
I did some Googling and it looks like time of year makes a difference as well as what time Fantasmic is showing and whether it's showing twice. I usually go when Fantasmic is at 7:00 so I assumed the early dinner times were because "normal" dinner times are too close to the start of the show.

DfromATX

I've actually got ADRs at Mama Melrose and Hollywood & Vine, because I couldn't decide which would be better. But even though I booked right at the 180-day window, the only options were 2:10pm (lunch) or 4:45pm (dinner). So "unusual times" sounds about right!

I've eaten at both. Mama Melrose was really good - we enjoyed it. I see a lot of complaints about H&V, but we didn't think it was that bad. I guess it depends on if you feel like having Italian or standard buffet-type foods.

DfromATX

I did some Googling and it looks like time of year makes a difference as well as what time Fantasmic is showing and whether it's showing twice. I usually go when Fantasmic is at 7:00 so I assumed the early dinner times were because "normal" dinner times are too close to the start of the show.

Actually, I was curious about it also so I did a pretend booking. I was looking in July and they had good lunch times still available, right at 1:00, but nothing was available after 4:00 (like around dinner time), so maybe it does book up fast.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I did that same program! I believe we did ours the first night, it was like a fun "get to know each other" thing. We also had dinner above America, in their small hall. I don't think I'd pay for it when it wasn't just my group though.

Yep! The Disney perks were pretty great. Private Illuminations area... Dinner in the DINOSAUR lounge... Private Kilimanjaro tour.. AWESOME! Recording in Epcot? YAS.

But oh my god the rest of the camp was a big total rip off! I had to spend nearly $3,000 to go to this summer camp just to have my 1 1/2 minute film insulted by the most sarcastic person on earth. (I was also criticized for "shaking" a camera, but their tripod was broken.....) I never felt so ripped off in my life. Everything they taught could have been learned at a local college film summer camp. The only perk was: Disney.

But I could've gone to Disney for 5 days.. For just $1,000. d:

I don't regret going, though. Seeing EPCOT at 6 A.M. is beautiful... But I'd never go again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Chef Mickey

I've got ADRs for one of those Fantasmic! dinner packages - if you have the Disney Dining Plan, is it included? I thought it was - the Disney website itself seems to indicate that - but then I saw an article on WDWMagic that made me wonder otherwise?
Yes, that's why it's even a better value when you have the Dining Plan...included as one table service.

copcarguyp71

I don't know if this counts but Year of a Million Dreams was the best marketing (value) campaign I can remember in recent history TBH.

Biggest rip-off.....special events. By that I mean making guests pay for a full day in the parks and then telling them to leave early or pay special event full price to stay in the parks for a special event. IMO the park should be reduced entry fee that day OR if you paid full price and want to stay for the event then a reduced rate for the event if you already paid for a full day at the park. I love when people say "but you get free candy and free this or that"....didn't you pay an exorbitant amount to get into the event?

Matt_Black

Biggest rip-off.....special events. By that I mean making guests pay for a full day in the parks and then telling them to leave early or pay special event full price to stay in the parks for a special event. IMO the park should be reduced entry fee that day OR if you paid full price and want to stay for the event then a reduced rate for the event if you already paid for a full day at the park. I love when people say "but you get free candy and free this or that"....didn't you pay an exorbitant amount to get into the event?

And that's fair, but then we go back to the "Well, wait, how many people pay the full one day price?" argument. Now, since most of these sorts of events are at the Magic Kingdom, it's likely, but in that case, the guests should plan better. With multi-day tickets, just go to another park that day and come back on a day in your trip that doesn't have a ticketed event.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
And that's fair, but then we go back to the "Well, wait, how many people pay the full one day price?" argument. Now, since most of these sorts of events are at the Magic Kingdom, it's likely, but in that case, the guests should plan better. With multi-day tickets, just go to another park that day and come back on a day in your trip that doesn't have a ticketed event.

That's easy to say except for those tourists who hardly know anything AT ALL about the parks.

On my recent trip to Disneyland... You know how Disneyland Park and California Adventure's entrances are like... Right across from each other, walking distance? This japanese family came up to me while I was waiting for entry into California Adventure (We did Disneyland the day before) and they asked me if this was the entrance to the theme park. I told them that there are two theme parks, and they showed me their ticket. Their ticket only lets them go to one park, so I sent them over to Disneyland Park for the better experience.

But it's like... What if you have tourists from other countries who don't know that there is more than one theme park. Heck, most of my friends think that Disney World is JUST a theme park! So I have to disagree and say that there should be a reduced price on one of the sides..

Phew. Not sure where that all came from but there ya go! :)

copcarguyp71

I would say even those who are on a multi day park hopper should still get the reduced rate....plain and simple, you paid for a full day in the parks and should get it. Sorry but being told to leave a park that is staying open or be charged full rack rate for the event to stay is a slap in the face to a guest, especially the look in their kids eyes as they exit a park that is staying open. As for the whole "plan better" argument now we go back to the incessant need to plan every facet of our vacations months in advance which has killed any shred of freestyling that we once had and yet another reason that the caribbean, shore points and any number of other destinations has been getting our families' vacation dollars since 2013....

Matt_Black

That's easy to say except for those tourists who hardly know anything AT ALL about the parks.

On my recent trip to Disneyland... You know how Disneyland Park and California Adventure's entrances are like... Right across from each other, walking distance? This japanese family came up to me while I was waiting for entry into California Adventure (We did Disneyland the day before) and they asked me if this was the entrance to the theme park. I told them that there are two theme parks, and they showed me their ticket. Their ticket only lets them go to one park, so I sent them over to Disneyland Park for the better experience.

But it's like... What if you have tourists from other countries who don't know that there is more than one theme park. Heck, most of my friends think that Disney World is JUST a theme park! So I have to disagree and say that there should be a reduced price on one of the sides..

Phew. Not sure where that all came from but there ya go! :)

No sympathy from me. There is absolutely no excuse in this day and age to be ill-informed.

Courtney6682

I bought a case of Dasani at FQ in Jan for $6.39. Granted, they were 12 oz bottles...but it was more than plenty for my daughter and I for 5 days. We even left 4 bottles behind the day we checked out for another family. I personally couldn't believe how cheap it was! I was expecting to pay like $10-15 and when she told me $6 I almost died!!!

water.jpg

yedliW

I think one of the best deals is using snack credits on the Dining Plan for most, if not all, of the food options at the Food & Wine Festival.

We were there this past year for F&W, and didn't find this to be the case.. the sizes of the portions have gotten pretty small. Unless you are looking for the 'exotic' flavors of the F&W, you are better served with traditional snack options.

We stayed at Kidani, one morning we were walking back from breakfast at Boma, and we were stopped by a Japanese family asking how to get into the parks. They had limited English, but I can understand the confusion, with the park name being so similar to the lodge name, it seems like it is an easy mistake to make, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area (or language). I would imagine it wasn't the first time it has happened.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Biggest deal: Free dining plan, we took full advantage of that 2 years ago
Biggest rip off: Tie between character meals.(outside of the meal plan) and the fact that Disney considers my 10 year old daughters "adults". Now my kids loved the character meal, don't get me wrong but when I'm paying around 180 (with tip) for two parents and two adult 10 year old for a buffet breakfast at Chef Mickey - that seems a little much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom