Big Thunder Mountain Railroad vs Space Mountain

Better ride?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Best roller coaster in Walt Disney World? | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt  Disney World discussion forums

Space Mountain | Walt Disney World Resort

hismattjesty

Big Thunder Mountain got my vote here, but it could honestly be a toss-up based on my mood of the day. If you've ever ridden Big Thunder Mountain at DL, you'll understand just how disappointing and inferior WDW's is. Space Mountain is a toss up because of seating configuration preference, and whether you enjoy a smooth or rough ride.

kalel8145

Thunder Mountain. It was my son's first rollercoaster so many years ago. He was 6 and called it fast and on the edge. I have never cared for SM, although I go on it multiple times each trip.

JIMINYCR

BTMRR. A better queue to walk through. Much more to see, a wilder ride around and thrilling experience. While SM works in the darker environment, it keeps it from providing as much theming. Its the difference of a coaster ride and a coaster ride that visually enhances your experience.

Chip Chipperson

Big Thunder got my vote and it wasn't a difficult choice at all. Space Mountain is too cramped and painful. I used to love it, but I'm tall and always feel bent lime a pretzel getting my legs in. Then there's the rough ride that has me feeling like I was in a fender bender. I'll take the comfort of Big Thunder. Plus, the ride is just fun and you get different experiences during the day and at night. My wife and I rode it 3 times in a row at the Verry Merriest After Hours last year and loved it each time.

Virtual Toad

Space Mountain at WDW has quite simply not aged well. At all. And that's a shame because it used to be at the top of the list. Give me the FedEx version of SM from the 1990s and it surpasses BTM. But since then, nope. And the last several refurbs have sadly made it worse. Closing off the view of the tracks from the queue, not giving riders the choice of which side to ride, installing brakes before the climactic drop, playing annoying safety messages repeatedly in the early stages of the queue, forcing some riders down a stuffy, claustrophobic, unthemed hallway instead of through the main switchbacks, and last but not least removing the speed ramp at the exit. All terrible choices that have seriously denigrated the experience. Today's SM is far more Six Flags than classic Disney.:(

celluloid

Space Mountain at WDW has quite simply not aged well. At all. And that's a shame because it used to be at the top of the list. Give me the FedEx version of SM from the 1990s and it surpasses BTM. But since then, nope. And the last several refurbs have sadly made it worse. Closing off the view of the tracks from the queue, not giving riders the choice of which side to ride, installing brakes before the climactic drop, playing annoying safety messages repeatedly in the early stages of the queue, forcing some riders down a stuffy, claustrophobic, unthemed hallway instead of through the main switchbacks, and last but not least removing the speed ramp at the exit. All terrible choices that have seriously denigrated the experience. Today's SM is far more Six Flags than classic Disney.:(

And it took a huge chunk out of The Peoplemover's greatness with those arbitrary changes.

Little Pixie

In the Parks
No
These two rides are very different. I enjoy Big Thunder Mountain more because I enjoy the wooden rough type of coasters that bounce ya around. Me being a pint sized person just under 5 feet and a light weight I get bounced around a lot. For Space Mountain if you want the dips and a more smoother coaster ride than that is for you.

Walt Disney1955

I think Thunder Mountain is better. Both are great though in their own right. You want the wild west experience you've got Thunder. The Space experience is Space Mountain. I think in this case the theming is better with Thunder. The caves and such, just lovely. It would actually be a very nice slow train ride if they themed it that way. It would still be neat to ride even if it weren't a rollercoaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom