Big changes to magicbands?!

mguimond1990

Original Poster

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 379

Rodan75

I seem to remember that being an original announcement ( or maybe part of the leaked materials), but moved to bands only for launch.

Biff215

I'm not sure this will happen, but those of us with large amounts of active bands connected to our MDE accounts do seem to have more issues. I don't remember my last trip without any problems. Sometimes the front desk can't even handle it and they have even taken them overnight. Assigning one main unit per guest might help with this, but wouldn't battery life still be an issue over time?

Rob562

I'm not sure this will happen, but those of us with large amounts of active bands connected to our MDE accounts do seem to have more issues. I don't remember my last trip without any problems. Sometimes the front desk can't even handle it and they have even taken them overnight. Assigning one main unit per guest might help with this, but wouldn't battery life still be an issue over time?

It's suggested that each person only have a maximum of 8 Bands/Cards active on their account at any one time. Some systems, especially the doors locks, can get overloaded when trying to keep track of too many serial numbers. So one way to combat that is to limit yourself to 7 or 8 active at one time.

-Rob

Biff215

It's suggested that each person only have a maximum of 8 Bands/Cards active on their account at any one time. Some systems, especially the doors locks, can get overloaded when trying to keep track of too many serial numbers. So one way to combat that is to limit yourself to 7 or 8 active at one time.

-Rob
I'd heard that, and I even deactivated all of the bands I wasn't using. We still had issues, so maybe it was something else entirely. I just feel bad for the front desk CM's who often can't find a solution no matter how hard they try.

Gringrinngghost

Disney earlier in the year submitted a second generation Magic Band. I can confirm the legitimacy of the photo attached above as this was submitted to the FCC.

I'm actively combing though the FCC data.

Update:
The radio frequency document that was released on August 15th shows that the device is classified as a “proprietary 2.4 GHz GFSK radio in a wristband form factor.” The MagicBands have proved to Disney that they are a lucrative buy as you can get customized bands with almost any Disney character you want on it. While the external photos of the device won’t come out until February of next year (the first magic band saw a six-month embargo as well), other that what has been published in the ID Label document, we can assume at this point that a wristband portion will have a much greater emphasis than being sold separately as an accessory, and the FCC documentation is currently helping to support that.

Full Article: http://behindthethrills.com/2016/08/disney-to-phase-out-magic-bands/

Update 2: The power of the RF antenna has increased to 1.175 mW (milliwatt) from 960.0 μW (microwatt).

Update 3: I've made a MagicBand/MyMagic + Identification Guide Here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/magicband-mymagic-identification-guide.916790/

Update 4: We heavily updated the article due to it being a bit complex due to the wording used; here is the original:
Ever since the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced the magic bands, we've been waiting for their next big announcement into the future of these bands and the latest FCC filings are hinting at the successor to the magic bands.

While product updates, especially across the technology sector, are part of the status quo. Disney is showing in their latest FCC filings the potential future of these devices. While earlier in the year Disney submitted to the FCC documentation for the second revision of the first generation of Magic Bands, these were slimmer than the original MagicBands.

These pucks are however fascinating, because while they show the future of the MyMagic + devices. With the Orlando Sentinel report of Disney ultimately wanting to go to Cell Phones, these would be seen as an excellent first step to that goal. However, some of the information in the in the FCC filing is hinting otherwise for these pucks.

The radio frequency document that was released on August 15th shows that the device is classified as a "proprietary 2.4 GHz GFSK radio in a wristband form factor." The MagicBands have proved to Disney that they are a lucrative buy as you can get customized bands with almost any Disney character you want on it. While the external photos of the device won't come out until February of next year (the first magic band saw a six-month embargo as well), other that what has been published in the ID Label document, we can assume at this point that a wristband portion will have a much greater emphasis than being sold separately as an accessory, and the FCC documentation is currently helping to support that.

While some will be upset early one that these don't come with a wristband build onto the device, and I do agree about that and will address that a bit later in the article. This could be a greater boon to Disney. Since the next generation MagicBands appear to be very small and without the actual wristband portions naturally made with the unit itself, this will allow for Disney to sell these second generation MagicBands packaged with the more popular selling character bands they have as a set.

However, with the actual puck being not having the physical wristband attached natively to the puck, it does question the durability. Not having the physical wristband attached natively to these pucks will make it easier if the wristbands do break to loose the puck. Without a formal announcement yet from the Walt Disney Company, we don't exactly know when we should see these MagicBands coming out, but since they just received the authorization from the FCC, we can see them as early as right around the new year if prior testing and rollout of the first revision of the magic bands showed, since for them it was 2 months between the rollout and the embargo release from the FCC.

Last edited:

djkidkaz

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are we assuming that the next version of magic bands won't be a band at all but a puck that I have to carry around?

HurricaneHanna

It makes sense. You could still have different bands for the variety of designs and solid colors. You would just switch out the disk/chip/puck thing, basically like a watch face that has multiple bands. I think even Fitbit is doing this now with one of their models. This will make the current bands we all have obsolete though so I hope that if it's happening more information is released soon. It's not fair to keep selling bands knowing they only have limited use. I just bought one that was $50 and haven't even had a chance to use it yet and I've seen a lot of interest in the new ones for Halloween/MNSSHP.

mguimond1990

Original Poster
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are we assuming that the next version of magic bands won't be a band at all but a puck that I have to carry around?
No it will have bands can be interchangeable. Something like what Fitbit does with their bands

CJR

It's basically a 2.0 version of a magic band. To save costs, they will be making it so that you keep one part of an old magic band, while the battery will be new. You will still be able to wear it on your wrist like you do now.

DisneyFans4Life

This is pretty cool if it's going to be similar to a FitBit. My wife loves hers and has something like 10 different colors of bands. It'd be much easier to have one "puck" and then several bands to go with it.

Edit - Not to mention that they could possibly charge less for bands only since it won't have the RFID transmitter in them.

Last edited:

GlassHalfFull

I do wonder how often people will grab a MB+2.0 from their drawer at home and forget the puck in another band at home.. can you have multiple pucks?

lazyboy97o

It makes sense. You could still have different bands for the variety of designs and solid colors. You would just switch out the disk/chip/puck thing, basically like a watch face that has multiple bands. I think even Fitbit is doing this now with one of their models. This will make the current bands we all have obsolete though so I hope that if it's happening more information is released soon. It's not fair to keep selling bands knowing they only have limited use. I just bought one that was $50 and haven't even had a chance to use it yet and I've seen a lot of interest in the new ones for Halloween/MNSSHP.
There is nothing to suggest that current MagicBands and cards would cease functioning. This would just be a new form factor.

mikenatcity1

I would love to have something to carry rather than to wear...I am not a fan of having a piece of rubber on my wrist in the hot Florida weather. Most of the time my band has ended up in my pocket, at least until it's needed to charge, redeem for food or a fastpass...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom