News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

UNCgolf

I don't even like coffee!

Starbucks does have awful tea, though. It could have changed in the last two or three years because I quit trying it, but in the past all their tea had a weird plastic/chemical taste.

_caleb

Back to Future World, have any insiders said anything about the 3 neighborhoods (World Celebration, World Discovery, World Nature) plan? Is that currently still on?

Mac Tonight

Not sure which roasts you find taste burnt, but you might consider some of their lighter roasts. Their nitro cold brew is nice as well.
I try to get nitro whenever possible. Living in So Cal though, there are no shortage of smaller, more independent coffee shops I prefer to frequent. But in a pinch Starbucks is always there.

zengoth

It's interesting (to me anyway) that Starbucks got so close to world showcase, but not actually in the ring. May be contractual, maybe not. Are the other 3 major coffee kiosks in world showcase all Joffreys? (on the way to mexico, between US + Italy, between UK + Canada - not counting the one next to Energy and the monorail station). And has it been determined the new Starbucks is temporary and will be moved "back" to former Future World in the next decade when everything's built back up again?

_caleb

I hope not. If you have to, change it to Discovery World. Having these three separate names just sound clunky.
I thought so, too. I know the name “Future World” is dear to many around here, but that half of the park really hasn’t been about the future in a long time. The new “4 neighborhoods“ approach seems a little more Animal Kingdom than Epcot to me, which subdivided Future World into Pavilions rather than these even vaguer categories.

_caleb

the thematic concession doesn’t weaken the product enough to override the business perspective.
This is the heart of the issue, isn’t it? For Disney parks, they’ve always operated as though there was an unavoidable tension between thematic integrity and maximizing profits. People seem to think that Disney needs to concede to including corporate logos in order to stay in business and make money.

This is why people look back in history and say, “Walt allowed Monsanto to sponsor attractions-that’s the only way he could have built Tomorrowland!” But that’s not the whole story. Walt relied on Monsanto, General Electric, GoodYear, Frito-Lay, etc. not just for the money they gave, but also for the credibility they brought. Early in the life of the parks, the endorsement of these trusted brands actually built confidence in the minds of the public. People who weren’t comfortable jumping on the PeopleMover (a train with no driver!) were actually convinced to do so because “well, GoodYear made the tires and endorsed the ride, so it must be safe.”

Disney has long since passed the need for endorsement by other brands. In fact, Disney is much more trusted than any of the brands that might sponsor an attraction. Rather than Disney needing the brands, the brands actually need Disney.

Those early partnerships were mutually beneficial, but tipped in favor of Disney. These days, it’s just about money. Like auto racing teams selling advertising on their cars by the square inch to completely unrelated bands who just want some visibility with a certain audience, Disney gladly takes all the money FedEx, General Motors, or HP wants to give them. But because those brands have little to do with the theming of the parks, it always results in a compromise.

Notable exceptions (in my mind), would be those instances where inclusion of the brands actually help with the theming of an area: Coca-Cola on Main Street, GM in World of Motion, etc. I’d be open to Pendleton Wools or Levi Denim sponsorships in Frontierland or Land Rover or GH Bass in Adventureland, because these would fit the themes.

griffin ferrari

From the site that shall not be named, A sign that demo of this part is coming shortly?
1605116805763.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom