News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

TwilightZone

Not sure where we were discussing it, but the passholder newsletter confirms that the mystery construction between land and imagination is the flower and garden festival butterfly house.
This sounds great! It’s nice to get another animal exhibit in epcot besides nemo (not that I don’t like the aquariums).

NormC

A lot of adds for the 50th might be particular to the celebration and will go away by 2023 or so. So a mix of epic and task specific. For example the castle overlay (beyond the new gold), parades, fireworks and Live entertainment. All also potentially epic in their own way.
Do you plan to visit during the epic celebrations? 2022 would be 40 years since your last visit.

AJDMB05

Number one film in Mexico of all time. Made .8 billion dollars. Every year Disney increases the presence of Coco in their domestic parks. Almost had a Coco overlay of Gran Fiesta, but was cut for budget, but is still in the wings waiting its turn.

And to this thread in general:

Similarly, Moana made .64 billion dollars. Disney keeps increasing her presence in the parks (a featured element of HEA, e.g.).

And do I need to point out how popular GotG are?

If anyone doesn't like or care for these IPs, that's fine. If anyone thinks they don't belong in Epcot, that's fine. But to say they may not be that popular years from now? That's putting one's head in the sand and ignoring the large fan base these IPs have. Just because one may not be a fan themselves, doesn't mean that therefore, no one is. These are big IPs.

Also, the parks themselves keep IPs alive and kicking. Look at Figment. Look at Alice in Wonderland. Being featured by Disney in a Disney park means park-goers generally remain interested in them. That's the dreadful synergy that is bringing IPs into Epcot.
That's totally fair, and that's my own ignorance I guess. I didn't put it on the same level as Frozen or Toy Story and maybe that lowered it more in my mind.

I'm of the opinion that adding recent movie IP risks a greater chance of the ride feeling dated even sooner than with a timeless storyline. Put another way, I think Expedition Everest could stay the same forever, I feel like eventually a Coco or Moana ride would need an update. And I guess there's nothing wrong with updates.

Epcot82Guy

I hate to say it. It's the first time I've ever felt this level of emotion about a project, too. And, I know others who feel the same way. I'm happy for everyone who is enjoying it and looking forward to it. But, they are (literally) ripping the heart out of something and pushing it in a new direction. And, that hurts a lot because it seems there were options that could have been much more "middle ground".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's totally fair, and that's my own ignorance I guess. I didn't put it on the same level as Frozen or Toy Story and maybe that lowered it more in my mind.

I'm of the opinion that adding recent movie IP risks a greater chance of the ride feeling dated even sooner than with a timeless storyline. Put another way, I think Expedition Everest could stay the same forever, I feel like eventually a Coco or Moana ride would need an update. And I guess there's nothing wrong with updates.

You can also bet Disney does surveys and has a boat load of metrics judging how well each of their IPs are doing in order to monetize them.

jt04

I hate to say it. It's the first time I've ever felt this level of emotion about a project, too. And, I know others who feel the same way. I'm happy for everyone who is enjoying it and looking forward to it. But, they are (literally) ripping the heart out of something and pushing it in a new direction. And, that hurts a lot because it seems there were options that could have been much more "middle ground".

If it is any consolation, I think we have only seen a "rough outline" of what Future World (likely with a new moniker) will be by the 50th......of Epcot. 2032.

The smart phone doomed an already shaky business model. Technology made Future World obsolete. No shortage of irony there.

I think Imagineering can be trusted if corporate makes the investments over the next decade.

EJ96

If it is any consolation, I think we have only seen a "rough outline" of what Future World will be by the 50th......of Epcot. 2032.

The smart phone doomed an already shaky business model. No shortage of irony there.

I think Imagineering can be trusted if corporate makes the investments over the next decade.

LOL! We’ll be complaining about how dated it looks in 2032.

tparris

Update from the monorail
AD008ED4-9515-4655-8B40-B725FFFD10DC.jpeg
503FB157-DA6B-4D6F-9C93-8A40E06F9086.jpeg
7867889B-8908-4C9F-A80C-70E32C398C2D.jpeg
D0900F66-1333-454A-8C91-E1405DBDEAAC.jpeg
156BDDE3-7D12-43D2-9CAE-4E4E055F42E4.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom