News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

SpaceMountain77

When I was in graduate school, I had the pleasure of taking a Utopia course with two thought leaders at The University of Chicago.

Achieving a utopian society through technological innovation is just one of several perspectives on future living. Another perspective is harmony with nature and is somewhat captured in The Biggest Little Farm, a recent documentary.

If the Seas had a semblance of its initial environmental message, which was captured in the pavilion’s film, then, collectively, the newly christened World Nature could speak to a Future World where a respectful balance with the natural world is achieved.

If World Discovery focuses on emerging technologies, then, together, World Discovery and World Nature capture two utopian perspectives.

Disregarding EPCOT Center 1982 sentiments, it showcased one theory for future living.

PorterRedkey

View attachment 401047

Are we going to just ignore this giant spire which appears to have "cars" on them?!?!?!?!?!? Or did I miss this in another thread?? I NEED ANSWERS, PEOPLE!!!!
In regards to the Space elevator/tower, it looks like there might be some props/lighting that represent the guest's transportation to Space.

The Mighty Tim

I noticed the horizontal lines right before I went to bed last night. Makes sense to throwback to Horizons but include something flying "over the horizon"

I would agree with the Mission: SPACE guess, based on the Horizons throwback. However, I would guess that Play and Guardians are the other way around, since the second logo looks like it has elements of the old Universe of Energy logo in it.

yensidtlaw1969

Well Alice already has a M&G in UK, Rabbit could simply be a nod to that
Could be, but I’d think the existing presence of Alice in the UK would suggest that any Mad Tea Party-like element would be more likely to appear there than in Future World, or whatever it will be called.

I suppose we’ll know for sure by the end of the weekend.

rkleinlein

View attachment 401047

Are we going to just ignore this giant spire which appears to have "cars" on them?!?!?!?!?!? Or did I miss this in another thread?? I NEED ANSWERS, PEOPLE!!!!
Maybe that's just to distract you from looking at the ugly giant box of Guardians which is conveniently cropped out of this glossy illustration.

And this illustration, interestingly, is done in the same style, with same palette, and exact point of view as an early rendering of Epcot. In fact it looks like the original illustration was simply altered. Here it is in a book published in 1982 with the new one below.

Last edited:

brettf22

Premium Member
View attachment 401047

As others have said, this has to be an artist’s interpretation of the elevator that will replicate a trip to space for guests going to the Space Restaurant (with what I’m assuming will be screens on the interior walls of the elevator to give guests the visuals of going into space, a la the One World Trade Center elevator)

I actually worked on a real concept like this years ago. You can Google “tether space elevator” for info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom