News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Sir_Cliff

As awful as it was, Time Racers shows how much the physical size of Disney attractions has bloated. A launched coaster that fit within the existing geosphere of Spaceship Earth, not requiring an adjacent giant warehouse.
I agree with your overall point, but am I wrong in remembering that the track was going to shoot in and out of the geosphere from one of the Communicore buildings?

markham

As awful as it was, Time Racers shows how much the physical size of Disney attractions has bloated. A launched coaster that fit within the existing geosphere of Spaceship Earth, not requiring an adjacent giant warehouse.
Major Disney rides that actually fit entirely within their on-stage buildings is really the exception, not the rule. See The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure/Dinisaur, POtC, etc., The difference here is that EPCOT has always been built with vast, wide open vistas. It’s much easier to hide a large building if you have complete control over the field of vision of a guest and a limited number of approach points and viewing angles. This is usually done by compressing views with other, smaller buildings and landscaping that are much closer to the viewer than the thing you want to hide.

It’s really always been a problem at Epcot. The Swan and Dolphin and Soarin’ were never great from a sight line perspective. And now we have GotG:CR to further lower the bar and establish precedent.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Major Disney rides that actually fit entirely within their on-stage buildings is really the exception, not the rule. See The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure/Dinisaur, POtC, etc., The difference here is that EPCOT has always been built with vast, wide open vistas. It’s much easier to hide a large building if you have complete control over the field of vision of a guest and a limited number of approach points and viewing angles. This is usually done by compressing views with other, smaller buildings and landscaping that are much closer to the viewer than the thing you want to hide.

It’s really always been a problem at Epcot. The Swan and Dolphin and Soarin’ were never great from a sight line perspective. And now we have GotG:CR to further lower the bar and establish precedent.
I wasn’t commenting on the use of show buildings, I was commenting on the overall size. Compare Cosmic Rewind or TRON to Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Look at how small Disneyland’s Fantasyland is and how much it contains versus the “new” Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom.

markham

I wasn’t commenting on the use of show buildings, I was commenting on the overall size. Compare Cosmic Rewind or TRON to Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Look at how small Disneyland’s Fantasyland is and how much it contains versus the “new” Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom.
Certainly. They’ve said from day one that it was going to be one of the largest indoor rollercoasters. The building will thus be one of the largest. 100%, they aren’t maximizing number of attractions with x acres like they once did. I was referencing your statement of rides “not requiring an adjacent giant warehouse” as a new indication of bloat which isn’t really true of many attractions, both old and new.

An attraction’s giant attached warehouse has rarely, if ever, been so obvious as it is with Cosmic Rewind though. It’s one of the issues with the beautiful open vista approach. When you don’t obstruct and confine views, you can see almost everything. Especially when you build them so large. There’s just no way to hide that effectively when you have a clear view across the World Showcase lagoon.

Epcot82Guy

I hear you, though there was often more attempt in the past. RnRC is hidden in plain sight. Everest even (eventually) got a paint job to hide the warehouse aspects. The exposed backstage trend to "show a bit of the magic" was a bit disturbing with Avatar and Galaxy's Edge. Then the Big Blue Box went to another level.

Your point on Epcot is valid. Sadly, it's part of what made the park so cool originally - but it has eroded over time (SwDo, ToT, Soarin', on and on). And, MK has the benefit of the berm and Utilidoor. You have a full story automatically included to "bury" attractions without having to actually dig down. That's a main reason I think this would have done better at MK than Epcot, especially since it appears to have a pretty solid capacity number.

Epcot always felt more like a cohesive park, so the vistas, viewpoints, etc. felt more important. And, I'm not sure these new changes go far enough to make it feel like "lands". So, it's more noticeable - as you articulated well above.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The new landscaping is starting to look really good in World Discovery.

Monorail_Full_47586.jpg

flyerjab

The new landscaping is starting to look really good in World Discovery.

Monorail_Full_47586.jpg
We’ve been spending a decent amount of time at a side of the park we never bothered with since WoL has not been in use and we quite honestly detested Ellen’s Energy Adventure. Having walked through that area in the past few days, it looks especially beautiful during F&G. There is a play area for kids and some nice stirring areas. I can’t wait for the center of World Celebration to be completed. That will look really nice from the windows at Connections Cafe.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
World Celebration is going to end up being completed ridiculously quickly. It's just... cement, a half finished water feature, preprogrammed lighting fixtures, and a small covered hall. They may do this by early next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom