News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Fear

Oh I don't think so. I don't read it as world (adj.) celebration, I read it as world [of] celebration.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think World [of] Celebration is their intention with this branding. I think they're leaning on World as an adjective for all four areas for continuity.

As evidenced by Chapek's cadence in their announcement:

CaptainAmerica

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think World [of] Celebration is their intention with this branding. I think they're leaning on World as an adjective for all four areas for continuity.

As evidenced by Chapek's cadence in their announcement:

If that's the case, I hate it even more. It solves "Celebration" but it makes "Nature" even worse to the ear.

Disstevefan1

I'm just appalled at the grammar of the thing. It's not parallel. In three of the neighborhoods, "world" is a helper word while the second word is the description of the land. In the World Showcase, "world" is the primary descriptor and "showcase" is the helper word.

world DISCOVERY
world CELEBRATION
world NATURE
WORLD showcase
A load of cr@p by any other name smells just as bad...

CaptainAmerica

…when the reality is we are just heading into austerity in Orlando. Fans…bless them…never accept it.
I've given up trying to predict how people are going to react coming out of COVID. We could see a post-9/11 malaise or we could see a boom like we've never seen before. I'm inclined to think it'll be the former.

Disstevefan1

…it’s the “new” (old) thing…

boards will be filled with increasing speculation for the next 5 or more years about what they’re gonna build “next”

…when the reality is we are just heading into austerity in Orlando. Fans…bless them…never accept it.
My prediction is that WDW in December 2021 will be as mobbed as it was in December 2019...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've given up trying to predict how people are going to react coming out of COVID. We could see a post-9/11 malaise or we could see a boom like we've never seen before. I'm inclined to think it'll be the former.
I think I misquoted myself.
I’m talking about the desire of fans to speculation of new construction - especially when that’s not what’s coming. This next 5 is going to be very similar to the early iger years - where absolutely nothing was built - more or less

CaptainAmerica

I think I misquoted myself.
I’m talking about the desire of fans to speculation of new construction - especially when that’s not what’s coming. This next 5 is going to be very similar to the early iger years - where absolutely nothing was built - more or less
Right, and my point is that Disney doesn't build to create demand, they build in response to demand. Rather than "if you build it, they will come" it's "if they come, you have to build it."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right, and my point is that Disney doesn't build to create demand, they build in response to demand. Rather than "if you build it, they will come" it's "if they come, you have to build it."
I agree…but I think it might be one layer worse

I think it’s “how can we bleed maximum out of each thing already built/paid for before we are forced to add A thing?”

mightynine

I guess they decided they needed to call everything "world something" to match up with World Showcase, but that's a nonsense idea.
It's complete nonsense, but they went and did it anyway. And I say that as someone who couldn't tell you the last time I used the Future World East/West nomenclature, if I ever did. I guess calling it the front of the park Magic Kingdom+ would've been too on the nose.

Sir_Cliff

I tend to think that, whatever was going to happen with Epcot, the Future World name would have been a goner. The "World" names for the park work fine for me, with the only slight exception being Imagination involving a bit of asymmetry to include it in World Celebration. That's certainly not the most egregious example of awkward exceptions within themed lands within Disney Parks, however.

The interesting thing about this press release for me is how blank the centre of World Celebration still appears. The descriptions of "natural environments", "global design elements", and "ever-changing events in a unique new environment" make me wonder if even Disney knows what they're putting in there beyond a statue of Walt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom