News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Truk777

Various spots around Future World under construction. Images are from Nearmap’s newest images from Nov 22.
D14D0215-9120-4EF5-987C-0A35D4DCF216.jpeg
DF883858-B8B4-4E67-8C11-45CAE66EB6D3.jpeg
6E0E55D7-6C23-4CAD-8ED2-A870285B0906.jpeg
95086A58-03AA-47DB-A34A-2985102C1A5A.jpeg
A8D78474-7D49-45FB-9BAB-0D7C31DC1E2C.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Shouldn't the GotG gravity building count as being on an expansion pad? I know GotG is replacing UoE, but with how big that building is, it could have been it's own ride had they chose to go that route. Plus, Soarin is connected to Land and replaced an attraction anyway.
It wasn’t an expansion pad as the park was originally designed. Sometime in the 90s (I think) or early noughtees that whole area was proposed to be used eventually for onstage, pushing into the parking lot. However, this is the same as the MK is proposed to push through to behind Splash and BTM sometime between now and the end of days.

Next Big Thing

It wasn’t an expansion pad as the park was originally designed. Sometime in the 90s (I think) or early noughtees that whole area was proposed to be used eventually for onstage, pushing into the parking lot. However, this is the same as the MK is proposed to push through to behind Splash and BTM sometime between now and the end of days.
Thanks for the quick response.

This is a more general question, but i'm just wondering, after Tron and GotG open in 2021, is anything currently planned to happen in the following years? I haven't been following as close and I know i've heard about the black box ride, but that's one of those things i'll believe when I see.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for the quick response.

This is a more general question, but i'm just wondering, after Tron and GotG open in 2021, is anything currently planned to happen in the following years? I haven't been following as close and I know i've heard about the black box ride, but that's one of those things i'll believe when I see.
As in additions? There’s murmurs always floating around but I’ve heard nothing beyond blue sky. Nor that they’ll get much further than that.

Hope I’m wrong.

Next Big Thing

As in additions? There’s murmurs always floating around but I’ve heard nothing beyond blue sky. Nor that they’ll get much further than that.

Hope I’m wrong.
Yeah, my fear is that they've spent all this money "fixing" these broken parks from about 2017-2022 stateside and they spent $5.5B on Shanghai before that. They've also spent billions on WDSP and HKDL and are building 3 new cruise ships which is many more billions.

Somebody at Disney clearly sees all this as necessary right now, but I just worry once the current investment period is over, we're gonna see another dry spell. Hopefully Epic Universe makes it so that they are forced to continue investment.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yeah, my fear is that they've spent all this money "fixing" these broken parks from about 2017-2022 stateside and they spent $5.5B on Shanghai before that. They've also spent billions on WDSP and HKDL and are building 3 new cruise ships which is many more billions.

Somebody at Disney clearly sees all this as necessary right now, but I just worry once the current investment period is over, we're gonna see another dry spell. Hopefully Epic Universe makes it so that they are forced to continue investment.

IIRC, one of the Bob's said a while back that capital investments in the US parks would be curtailed significantly once the current slate of announced projects was completed.

Sadly, what they are spending now was necessary 10+ years ago. We'll see if they've learned any lessons from the past 15 years.

MrPromey

To echo exactly what Martin said, they do. The CC buildings are literally giant convention centers designed for this sort of thing. The company even designed them to be expanded (and they partially were). It's not often when I want to see a project get slashed but this is one of them. They're going to build the wonder egg table, realize "oh...we had more space with the CC building", and then deal with all of the compromises (lack of expandability?) of having a structure 40ft (guessing) in the air.

They want their shiny new thing.

They could've made CC West look modern and fresh but whatever. I'm so glad we have cOoL gUy Zach leading this project. He knows what everyone wants.

I Assumed he was talking about World Showplace - that thing they've kept but used for almost nothing but private events since the Millennium Celebration ended.

MrPromey

There’s nothing ambitious about knocking down buildings and putting trees and nature features in their spot.

Especially in central Florida where air conditioning and shelter from thunder storms are welcome things.

I don't think anyone is arguing that something didn't need to be done but it feels like certain people around here take the criticisims of the path chosen as saying we all wanted big mostly empty buildings to remain as they were.

griffin ferrari

I noticed with the demolition of West There’s a part of the beams that look chard and black due to fire damage was there ever a fire in that part?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom