News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

SirLink

Honestly it likely adds more interest in kids...otherwise some may be bored being drug around world showcase. Right or wrong it's true. This way the whole family can enjoy bits and pieces

"Some" The operative word, why appeal to the lowest common denominator when you can appeal to the largest set by not.

To the bolded point it isn't true its a wrong perspective that brand advocates use to justify their insertion into a park which doesn't benefit. The whole family could enjoy Epcot if you invested in rides and shows and divested in movie and tv characters.

MerlinTheGoat

Today's kids become tomorrow's adults/customers. Bore them now, and they won't come back as adults and even worse they won't bring their kids.
I don't know what side you're on here, but i'll mention that the adults with children today were kids back in the 80's and 90's. Back when EPCOT was in its original more popular form (some claim boring) and had minimal character tie ins. So something definitely captivated the kids of that age and drove nostalgia for them as children. I can certainly say it did that for me.

Which leads us to a major point- Disney World is as popular as it is now because of what it accomplished during the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's popular in spite of what they have built (or rather haven't built) during the 2000's (not because of it what was more recently built). It's a nostalgia factory (including EPCOT), though that ability to survive on nostalgia only lasts so long when you continually shutter the things that drive that nostalgia.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
"Some" The operative word, why appeal to the lowest common denominator when you can appeal to the largest set by not.

To the bolded point it isn't true its a wrong perspective that brand advocates use to justify their insertion into a park which doesn't benefit. The whole family could enjoy Epcot if you invested in rides and shows and divested in movie and tv characters.

I have a hard time believing there would be MORE total people in world showcase without some character meet and greets and incorporating things like Mexican Donald into the Mexico ride, etc. People are going to go regardless and with a few things for kids as well.. I think there would be more families spending time around world showcase.

Someone could also make a case there might be more people around world showcase if they didn't have the crowded food and drunk festival... but again different strokes for different folks... so why not have things for all...and we can all have fun

besides... what's wrong with drinking some alcohol and singing the three caballeros tune? :)

SirLink

I have a hard time believing there would be MORE total people in world showcase without some character meet and greets and incorporating things like Mexican Donald into the Mexico ride, etc. People are going to go regardless and with a few things for kids as well.. I think there would be more families spending time around world showcase.

Someone could also make a case there might be more people around world showcase if they didn't have the crowded food and drunk festival... but again different strokes for different folks... so why not have things for all...and we can all have fun

besides... what's wrong with drinking some alcohol and singing the three caballeros tune? :)

There wouldn't be more there would be the same Epcot over reliance on festivals instead of investing in quality non-branded attractions would of helped draw people to the furthest corners of WS. After experiencing a fantastic headline attraction such as A Charles Dickens attraction they would then be some consumed with the culture that they would want a memory of that attraction and thus they disperse in the shops they chat to the CMs and end up having something to eat.

As you said it people are going to go regardless remove the characters, reduces the spend on characters, operations are happy, everyone is happy.

Kman101

It's funny that Epcot survived just fine without characters and kids came away just fine. Of course some will find it boring? And? WDW has a slew of things to do to entertain everyone. Not everything needs to appeal to one demographic.

I'm more loose in my feelings towards characters. I don't mind the meet and greets (I've actually never even come across Aurora), and the real problem I have with Nemo and Donald is that they're lazy executions just to shoehorn them in (is it true that there were animatronics for Donald and his pals but they weren't even installed? I mean, lazy). Frozen will probably be a great ride with great animatronics and I'm sure it will be fun, but it deserves better. And it won't be able to meet the demand for the ride, either. It's going to be awful. I probably wouldn't be upset if we got a Mary Poppins ride or even Ratatouille, as additions and extentions of the areas so that's where I fall in the middle. I appreciate and want the way Epcot was to be honored but certain insertions I wouldn't mind if done right.

A new film for Soarin' (with a third theater ... they probably really need four) and hopefully an Imagination overhaul can help get some interest, though Soarin' doesn't need anymore people rushing to it.

JohnD

I don't know what side you're on here, but i'll mention that the adults with children today were kids back in the 80's and 90's. Back when EPCOT was in its original more popular form (some claim boring) and had minimal character tie ins. So something definitely captivated the kids of that age and drove nostalgia for them as children. I can certainly say it did that for me.

Which leads us to a major point- Disney World is as popular as it is now because of what it accomplished during the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's popular in spite of what they have built (or rather haven't built) during the 2000's (not because of it what was more recently built). It's a nostalgia factory (including EPCOT), though that ability to survive on nostalgia only lasts so long when you continually shutter the things that drive that nostalgia.

There was a time when attractions were popular with kids but also inspired the kids within us. Imagination 1.0, WoM, and Horizons come to mind. It can be done without characters.

P_Radden

Interesting question ... physically place EPCOT on its own anywhere else in the world ... no MK no other park to hop to ... will it still draw like it does or can it even survive on its own?
EPCOT would not only survive, but thrive with the right owner, no matter where it is located. It all comes down to the money and love going into the park...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Interesting question ... physically place EPCOT on its own anywhere else in the world ... no MK no other park to hop to ... will it still draw like it does or can it even survive on its own?

That's an interesting Gedanken experiment for all of WDW sans Magic Kingdom. To answer your question directly, if EPCOT was place in the suburbs of the greater Indianapolis area, attendance would take a 17.8% hit, but financial losses would be offset by a) selling fishing licenses in WS lagoon and b) the pre 500 Indy car parade around aforementioned lagoon. Also, the F&W festival would feature more pork products.

SirLink

Yes of course it would survive. If Futuroscope can on a limited budget, Epcot with its scale certainly can.

You wouldn't place Epcot in a non English/ non western part of the world that is a given, but other than that sure of course it would survive.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
There wouldn't be more there would be the same Epcot over reliance on festivals instead of investing in quality non-branded attractions would of helped draw people to the furthest corners of WS. After experiencing a fantastic headline attraction such as A Charles Dickens attraction they would then be some consumed with the culture that they would want a memory of that attraction and thus they disperse in the shops they chat to the CMs and end up having something to eat.

As you said it people are going to go regardless remove the characters, reduces the spend on characters, operations are happy, everyone is happy.

Wrong - everyone would not be happy. Why not have something for everyone of all ages. That's what makes Disney one of the best theme parks in the world

Matt_Black

When I see people complaining that EPCOT isn't how it used to be, I think this...

children-who-are-wrong.jpg

lazyboy97o

Honestly it likely adds more interest in kids...otherwise some may be bored being drug around world showcase. Right or wrong it's true. This way the whole family can enjoy bits and pieces
Wrong - everyone would not be happy. Why not have something for everyone of all ages. That's what makes Disney one of the best theme parks in the world
You're making a demographic decision that makes no sense. Children are not born knowing certain characters. They must be introduced, they must at some point be something unfamiliar and unknown. We wouldn't be having this discussion if your entire base assumption were true as Frozen would have been a complete flop since it does NOT contain characters that kids already know to add interest.

SpaceMountain77

I actually like the Circle of Life movie at the Land. It's a good way of using characters without having them dominate the space and its focused on an environmental message rather then franchise maintenance. Also "Dam! Pumbaa watch your language" is one of my favorite exchanges in a theme park attraction.

The Circle of Life, to me, is quintessential edutainment. Although characters are included, they support the delivery of the message rather than upstaging the message.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You're making a demographic decision that makes no sense. Children are not born knowing certain characters. They must be introduced, they must at some point be something unfamiliar and unknown. We wouldn't be having this discussion if your entire base assumption were true as Frozen would have been a complete flop since it does NOT contain characters that kids already know to add interest.

Wow ok that's a stretch and not what I'm saying. Basically what I am saying is character meet and greets, kidcot stuff like that appeal to kids around world showcase regardless of its Mickey or Mulan and whether a kid has seen a movie with them or not. If there weren't any kid things like that around world showcase some kids would not be as entertained. That's all

lazyboy97o

Wow ok that's a stretch and not what I'm saying. Basically what I am saying is character meet and greets, kidcot stuff like that appeal to kids around world showcase regardless of its Mickey or Mulan and whether a kid has seen a movie with them or not. If there weren't any kid things like that around world showcase some kids would not be as entertained. That's all
All of which predicated on the wrong idea that kids can only be entertained with things they already know. Kids being entertained has nothing to do with including characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom