News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Eastonm7

Perhaps not all parks need to be suitable for toddlers, This is the root of many of WDW's problems, Because it skews so heavily towards the under 8 set people get the impression that everything is for toddlers, When we brought the whole family down DBIL's kids (all older than 8) said 'Do we HAVE to go to WDW that's for LITTLE KIDS' they wanted to go to the park up I-4. Yes they finally realized that there were 3 other parks which were NOT meant for the toddler crowd they were happy and had a good time.

Walt's idea was to create parks with 'Something for Everyone' not 'Everything must be suitable for toddlers'.

Yes adults can enjoy a toddler ride as well. DW in her 30's got her first ride in Dumbo with her dad, When she was of appropriate age her dad was in the Marines. It's still a treasured memory for both of them especially considering how we needed to drag her dad down for his first trip after he retired (now we can't drag him AWAY from the place).
I agree that it's supposed to be for everyone but where I'm coming from is a family aspect. If you have 2 kids under the height requirement for soarin then what? You have nemo ride, frozen ride, figment. I'll include SE and living with the land and maybe UOE but my siblings throw a fit when we go to Epcot but it's getting better because of them getting taller. But if the kids don't wanna go then they can convince parents to skip EPCOT all together. My point is yes I agree with no IPs in WS unless it thematically makse sense. Frozen is forcing a popular thing into Epcot. I wouldn't be opposed to a Ratatouille IP in France solely because it fits. I'm not saying that it has to have IPs to be successful but it doesn't hurt anything if the IPs fit thematically

OneDNP

I'm glad your toddler loves it, I'd rather have something that causes a 'tween's imagination to catch fire and inspire them to become an oceanographer, marine biologist or engineer or perhaps a fish farmer or just perhaps for the first time experience the wonder that is the oceans since they cover 70% of our planet.
Well I was a tween when I saw the original - I also spent most of my time in the aquarium areas. What impressed, inspired, and held my attention as a tween in the 80s is not the same for this generation, or likely would have been the same for my parent's generation. Based on what my teen niece tells me, a lot of what you mention is covered in school, in HD, with surround sound, and augmented with field trips.

Besides, I grew up to be a shrink, and while I loved the Wonders of Life pavilion, I guarantee that was not the inspiration for my career path. Though if dream finder" were a profession.......

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That's exactly why wonders of life Pavillion is gone, it's content is already pervasive in society at multiple age levels. No deep dark secrets whispered in dark corners where the making of me would shed correct information to dispelled myths. The audience has changed, that's why things must change in spite of the museum crowd's insistence to preserve everything at a particular point in time. Childhood ends, wonder doesn't have to.

lazyboy97o

the counter argument though is that one can always get a taste of the cultures in each country with or without characters...
But what do the characters add to that experience? Why bother to entice people who aren't interested in the main point of an experience's existence? Why does everything have to be palatable for one brand obsessed demographic that doesn't really like the base experience?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
But what do the characters add to that experience? Why bother to entice people who aren't interested in the main point of an experience's existence? Why does everything have to be palatable for one brand obsessed demographic that doesn't really like the base experience?

Honestly it likely adds more interest in kids...otherwise some may be bored being drug around world showcase. Right or wrong it's true. This way the whole family can enjoy bits and pieces

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
OK...I lied. I'm back. I'm still hopeless. With regards to characters in world showcase, I'm going to quote myself, because, frankly, this idea is bad .

I had an idea that came to me (as many of my great research ideas) in a shower I took immediately after my initial post in this thread. Here's an idea that is so simple, would be so easy to execute, and would make WS a whole lot of fun (at least for me). What if we ditched Disney characters in WS all together and had real historical personages around and about? You know, quite of few of the countries in question have had real princesses. Then, as I processed this idea, I realized why stop at meet and greets and princesses? What if you had all kinds of historical personages about? What if you could meet an emperor of the Ming dynasty in his throne in China? What if he was in some over the top, crazy, historically accurate garb? That would be a cool photo stop. What if Confucius was occasionally out and about spewing wisdom? What if two actors were re-enacting part of the Lincoln, Douglas debate when you walked by the American adventure? What if ninjas were crawling around Japan at night and if they successfully snuck up on you, your kid got a sticker that said, "the ninja got me" and if you saw the ninja approaching your kid got a sticker that said, "I beat a ninja at WDW". If it was legal, you could have royal family look a likes in England (a lot of people would LOVE this even though I would tend to skip it). The list of stuff you could do with this is endless and I have to stop typing because I need to get to work.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
OK...I lied. I'm back. I'm still hopeless. With regards to characters in world showcase, I'm going to quote myself, because, frankly, this idea is bad ***.

Why not populate them with scions of despots as most of the countries had ? Strip away the veneers and let historical reality reign supreme :)

piccolopat

That's exactly why wonders of life Pavillion is gone, it's content is already pervasive in society at multiple age levels. No deep dark secrets whispered in dark corners where the making of me would shed correct information to dispelled myths. The audience has changed, that's why things must change in spite of the museum crowd's insistence to preserve everything at a particular point in time. Childhood ends, wonder doesn't have to.

Wonders of Life can be reinvented. Imagine a new ride themed to Fantastic Voyage that is either a dark, water ride or a Gringotts style ride? Imagine an exhibition like "Body Worlds"? For the younger kids, they can have a movie or exhibit showing chicks hatching and other cute animals being born. Physical fitness and nutrition (maybe Kitchen Cabaret reinvented?) could be a part.

lobelia

OK...I lied. I'm back. I'm still hopeless. With regards to characters in world showcase, I'm going to quote myself, because, frankly, this idea is bad ***.

I think this is a fantastic idea. If kids need characters to have fun, so be it......take them to Hoop-de-doo. What do these kids do in real life? It's not like there isn't activities for kids there, albeit they are a little more educational than a meet and greet. I'd be cool with a Ninja stickering me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom