News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

mysto

My gut says behind big thunder goes to two "mini" lands now. Villians and a reduced Cars area.
It will never happen, but my dream for a BBTM would be an expansion of Frontierland with a version of Western River Expedition.

Frontierland ls being forced out of it's current location by the expansion of New Orleans theming. But they still have BTMR and Tom Sawyer that are vaguely western, so pushing Frontierland a bit just to the NW could create a themed area while using some existing (free) stuff. I could imagine a shooting gallery over there, radiator springs is vaguely western. "Western Americana" is a great theme and requires no IP (free) so it seems like a maybe to me, could even be what "beyond..." means.

Why not a continuous loader between TTC and MK? Picture a gigantic disk or moving walkway loading area for a covered peoplemover. Could skirt the shoreline for views along the way, and would be a short direct ride in both directions.

eddie104

My gut says behind big thunder goes to two "mini" lands now. Villians and a reduced Cars area. Just reading the tea leaves I have seen from multiple places. I don't have any other inside information, but that would be my guess.

Quite frankly, I hope this is true, as I would really much rather see them have an expanded villains land and spend the $$$ there.
I’m very mixed on a Cars Land even though I think it’s very well designed. I just feel it should stay exclusive to DCA because that park needs something unique like that.

If they wanna get the maximum out that space three attractions minimal need to be added in my opinion.

But I’m not Disney so at the end of the day I have no control. The original concept art had the right idea so I hope they continue it.

Splashin' Ryan

Yes. I think they either need to find an effective way to manage crowds and offer an option to enter/exit the park another way
While I agree, I think being arguably the most iconic view in any theme park in the world, the main street entrance sequence you go through would need to stay to ensure everyone gets that same experience. I could see them opening a new gate that only acts as an exit but not an entrance.

SpectreJordan

My dream vision for this area is …
  • That they use the original concept with 3 “mini” lands each containing an attraction.
  • I’m looking at Fantasy Springs as the inspiration if Disney is truly willing to spend the money which I think they are.
  • You can have four new attractions including the Moana expansion in Adventureland.
  • If they stick with having a Villains Land equivalent to Galaxy’s Edge it needs at least a two rides.
  • They could also break it up into different areas featuring certain villains and each having their own attraction.
  • With Encanto and Coco now most likely out the picture I’m not sure what Ip’s could replace them ???
Fantasy Springs should be what they're aiming for with this expansion. FS looks so good.

MagicHappens1971

While I agree, I think being arguably the most iconic view in any theme park in the world, the main street entrance sequence you go through would need to stay to ensure everyone gets that same experience. I could see them opening a new gate that only acts as an exit but not an entrance.
At the end of the day, guests are still going to walk down Main Street and see Cinderella Castle. The first only real “break” would be the reveal as you come out from the train station. I personally don’t really see anything major happening in this entry / exit issues. The cheapest / quickest “fix” would be to actually theme the Main Street bypasses (even the “themed” one is not themed”), and then get some more monorails, boats & busses running.

eddie104

Fantasy Springs should be what they're aiming for with this expansion. FS looks so good.
Yep when I look at everything they are getting and how it’s turning out so far it’s definitely without a doubt the most well planned Disney expansion at any park in history.

All the little details including the hotel are immaculately designed. But honestly Tokyo deserves it considering that resort hasn’t had any substantial updates/investments like that in decades.

I wonder how much it cost ???

Last edited:

Kman

Yes. I think they either need to find an effective way to manage crowds and offer an option to enter/exit the park another way

I actually disagree. We were there recently and I commented to my wife that if MK was built today they never would have dug Bay Lake. Too expensive, no reason for it and shareholders would lose their $%!$. They would pave over it. I love the boats and monorail. It makes me feel like I am going to a totally different dimension in a way. We love the separatedness of it

MagicHappens1971

I actually disagree. We were there recently and I commented to my wife that if MK was built today they never would have dug Bay Lake. Too expensive, no reason for it and shareholders would lose their $%!$. They would pave over it. I love the boats and monorail. It makes me feel like I am going to a totally different dimension in a way. We love the separatedness of it
I think the fact that they’ve never tried to do it again tells you all you need to know. Again, I understand and respect Walt & Co’s choice to build MK the way they did, I just don’t think it’s still feasible for the much higher attendance. If then can make meaningful fixes and changes I think that would be helpful. For me, I just hate that it takes an additional 20-30+ mins just to get to the park entrance

Kman

I think the fact that they’ve never tried to do it again tells you all you need to know. Again, I understand and respect Walt & Co’s choice to build MK the way they did, I just don’t think it’s still feasible for the much higher attendance. If then can make meaningful fixes and changes I think that would be helpful. For me, I just hate that it takes an additional 20-30+ mins just to get to the park entrance
Understood...it can be a bit of a challenge. I don't like it as much in the morning. I do love hanging around the park at night as it clears out and then taking the ferry back. I find it pretty magical actually

PREMiERdrum

I can't say too much more, but I think a good bit of expectation setting is in order. There's about 4x as many things being proposed as will actually come to fruition. IF alternative entrances and in-park hotels are to come to MK - and I have doubts - it will not be a part of this project.

We're looking at a maximum expansion area of 14 acres. It's big, but it's not THAT big.

We'll get a nice, multi-land(ish) expansion, added ride capacity, and enough juice to kickstart marketing. That's it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Indeed.

Pulling into MK TTC parking with a car or bus means you won't be entering the park for another 40 minutes.

More people arriving for newly built BBTM lands and Moana only means waiting even longer for the next ferry or the next two monorails.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom