News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

ToTBellHop

Yes. But. I believe they’ve cut operational and entertainment costs to the bone to make the revenue and profit numbers look good. Increasing those takes a bite out of the bottom line in a way that’s probably untenable to current management.
Actually considerable entertainment increases are budgeted for FY 25. Doesn’t mean they can’t cut back down to the bone in ‘26 but summer ‘25 appears to be a sweet spot for entertainment fans.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Even for those who enjoy Rise (and I think it's very overrated), it definitely isn't equivalent to a Pirates or HM like experience. The show scenes are very flat box-like corridors lined with video projection. And extremely few AA's.

The last ride Disney built that was comparable to the style of those old school E tickets of the late 60s to late 80s is Sinbad at Tokyo Disneysea. Stateside however, Splash Mountain was the last of its kind there. And the jury is still out on whether Tiana can hope to compare (doubt). We've also lost nearly all the EPCOT ones, along with the singular one that DHS had.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

DisneyDean97

Bridge(s). There was an early proposal to bridge the drive to extend the park (with a wide walkway themed so not to see below). A very early proposal of what became RnRC had a coaster going over World Drive.

There was also a proposal to move guest parking over there with a new tram bridge routing around Fant and the lake and connecting to the main entrance.
That seems like a bygone era when Disney was actually ambitious with projects. I don't see this current administration doing anything on this scale.

flyerjab

Actually considerable entertainment increases are budgeted for FY 25. Doesn’t mean they can’t cut back down to the bone in ‘26 but summer ‘25 appears to be a sweet spot for entertainment fans.
I feel like it had to be. There isn’t anything substantial to counter Epic Universe. It would be difficult to counter an entire park debut, but there should be something.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Personally, I think they should figure out and fix their second park before designing and building a third.
Oh I agree, but they don't care about that now. They are willing to spend money to increase capacity. They spent a ton of money fixing DCA (about 3/4 of what it needed), then they proceeded to spend more money putzing around with DCA, making changes they didn't need to make (Guardians, Pixar Pier) or were not really upgrades (Avengers Campus, Muppets-->Phillarmagic), all while leaving alone the Hollywood corner that needed fixing in the first place. So now, they've run out of things to change unnecessarily, which requires them building new stuff.

Honestly, DCA's ship has sailed on being a cohesive park. It's our version of Disney Adventure World.

ToTBellHop

Oh I agree, but they don't care about that now. They are willing to spend money to increase capacity. They spent a ton of money fixing DCA (about 3/4 of what it needed), then they proceeded to spend more money putzing around with DCA, making changes they didn't need to make (Guardians, Pixar Pier) or were not really upgrades (Avengers Campus, Muppets-->Phillarmagic), all while leaving alone the Hollywood corner that needed fixing in the first place. So now, they've run out of things to change unnecessarily, which requires them building new stuff.

Honestly, DCA's ship has sailed on being a cohesive park. It's our version of Disney Adventure World.
It will be renamed Disney Fun World next year along with Epcot becoming Disney Happy World.

Ayla

Look at how much people trash NRJ -- the complaints generally boil down to it not being an E ticket. They mostly relate to things that would hypothetically be great additions, but would increase the scale (and corresponding budget) to at least D+ status if not E.

And that's in a land that has an E!
People trash NRJ because you get to the end and say "that's it?!" I wonder how often CM's hear "we waited in line for that?"

Casper Gutman

And if they expanded capacity with just C and D attractions and no big E ride, they'd be crucified on these boards.

Not that Disney should pay attention to the wailing that would ensue if it were the right thing to do for the parks.
If they listened to the wailing on these boards they wouldn’t have spent decades eliminating entertainment and shelving plans for non-E tickets so they wouldn’t be in this mess in the first place.

James Alucobond

People trash NRJ because you get to the end and say "that's it?!" I wonder how often CM's hear "we waited in line for that?"
I firmly believe it’s because the shaman animatronic is so grand while the space the shaman appears in still feels intimate and small. The juxtaposition comes off as “wrong” in some way, and the sequence feels like a throwaway lead-in to something else rather than a finale. You just unceremoniously roll on past it faster than you pass through any room in Small World.

I think a single impressive figure could have worked in this ride if you spent a lot more time circling around it in a 180-degree arc, perhaps in front of the Tree of Souls. However, as currently designed, I think the only way to set expectations correctly is to have a few more animatronics you also shoot past with similar brisk pacing. It currently feels overly ponderous at the outset and “little ado about everything” at the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom