Beware Of Mardi Gras in Feb

Pan

Original Poster
We had a great time last week, but the crowd levels were pretty disappointing for what is suppose to be "value season". For anyone considering going the week of Mardi Gras when it falls in early Feb, you may want to try a different week. MK was absolutely packed Feb 7-9. 60 min waits for Space Mountain, Pooh, etc. Extra Magic Hour on Wed night was not very magical. Rumour had it that 75% of the people in the parks were from the state of Louisiana, escaping Mardi Gras, plus kids have that week off of school. Now don't get me wrong, these were all very nice folk, but this is not what I had in mind during off-season. Adding to the crowds were packs of cheerleaders there for the National Championships. The weekend before it was dancing squads. :brick:

I think I'll try late Jan next time. With that said, the weather was great, and we had a wonderful trip. Mega-trip report to be posted tomorrow.

TURKEY

It's going to be the same in late January as far as groups go (cheer/dance, high school/college). Group season runs from November - April.

Yep, it gets crowded during Mardi Gras. Doesn't matter when in the year it falls. All you see is Purple and Gold.

wannab@dis

TURKEY said:
It's going to be the same in late January as far as groups go (cheer/dance, high school/college). Group season runs from November - April.

Yep, it gets crowded during Mardi Gras. Doesn't matter when in the year it falls. All you see is Purple and Gold.

At some point, Disney is going to have to rethink their choice of hosting these tournaments. It seems people are starting to get turned off of entire months due to the chearleaders, football, wrestling tourneys. I understand they are trying to fill rooms and get people in the doors, but if you are running off the families, then it may be a bad deal... I wonder who spends more? The kids competing at WWoS or a family on vacation in the parks.

longfamily

Pan said:
Rumour had it that 75% of the people in the parks were from the state of Louisiana, escaping Mardi Gras, plus kids have that week off of school. Now don't get me wrong, these were all very nice folk, but this is not what I had in mind during off-season.

Why would this be a big deal to you?
:veryconfu

If you need to go when the crowds are at there lowest try 2nd week of January or late september/early October.

wannab@dis

longfamily said:
Why would this be a big deal to you? :veryconfu

If you need to go when the crowds are at there lowest try 2nd week of January or late september/early October.

She was not saying anything bad about Louisiana folks, just that everyone there appeared to be escaping Mardis Gras. So, if it wasn't the same week as Mardis Gras, there would be much less people!

shoppingnut

I agree that sometimes these school groups can be annoying because they are not chaperoned properly. I recall one year while I was down during the nights of joy (wasn't a joy for me) the large groups of kids were roaming the parks totally unchaperoned and were causing problems on ride lines, etc. We had a large group in front of us at POTC and when we came up to the CM, I told her flat out I wasn't getting in the same boat as them. She was very nice and accommodated us, but they were loud during the ride which ruined it for first timer's. Yet I have been down there when they have had other groups that were chaperoned and it made a big difference, since nosense was not tolerated.

It is unfortunately that Disney doesn't have more control with these large groups overrunning regular guests because it does effect their decision on a return visits. I can't blame the folks from Louisanna escaping Mardi Gras, I would too if I live there and had to deal with the insanity year after year.

ToTBellHop

wannab@dis said:
At some point, Disney is going to have to rethink their choice of hosting these tournaments. It seems people are starting to get turned off of entire months due to the chearleaders, football, wrestling tourneys. I understand they are trying to fill rooms and get people in the doors, but if you are running off the families, then it may be a bad deal... I wonder who spends more? The kids competing at WWoS or a family on vacation in the parks.
people are? That's news to me. Attendance and profits are up at the parks. Lest we forget spring break season (and higher hotel rates) begin this weekend. I don't honestly understand your complaint, though. You paid lower rates for you rooms and are complaining about crowds? It would make more sense for the person who pays more money to stay in the Resorts during peak season to complain about the longer lines they are paying more money to wait in. Disney lowers rates during the "slow season" to attract people, so if it is crowded during the off season, I say congrats to Disney.

Merriweather

After spending New Year's at WDW...

Mardi Gras was a lovely experience. Although we encountered signs that said 40 minute waits for some rides, they were really like 20-25 minutes. We only did one fast pass all week and that was because someone getting in line had extras. We did everything that my 42 inch child could do and still had naps in the middle of the day the 4th, 5th and 6th day. We will be back every Mardi Gras except when it falls on President week. We do the early parades and then head out Saturday morning to spend the week in WDW.

WDWgrl04

I couldnt agree more with Pan. My mother and I went to disney the same week feb 7 to 11. The weather was nice compared to here in chicago. Though it was sooo crowded and we usualy try to go to wdw when we hope it will be dead. Learn from our mistakes, and learn when to go and not go. As far as the groups, oh brother. It wasn't so much as them being in the parks but they can fill a whole bus to the brim making it harder for general guests such as familys to fit in these buses and made it longer waits for us to get to and from the parks.

wannab@dis

ISTCNavigator57 said:
people are? That's news to me. Attendance and profits are up at the parks. Lest we forget spring break season (and higher hotel rates) begin this weekend. I don't honestly understand your complaint, though. You paid lower rates for you rooms and are complaining about crowds? It would make more sense for the person who pays more money to stay in the Resorts during peak season to complain about the longer lines they are paying more money to wait in. Disney lowers rates during the "slow season" to attract people, so if it is crowded during the off season, I say congrats to Disney.

sure, do a search for Pop Warner and you will see numerous posts about this problem. I will not return to WDW during a Pop Warner event. It's vacation for me and I really don't want to put up with the hassle. Being upset while standing in line at Space Mtn because you caught hear your wife talking next you is very annoying. Wanting to scream at the 25 chanting cheerleaders to shut up was very hard to control. There were a LOT of people on busses swearing they would not return. That stuff gets around.

longfamily

I can understand why screaming teens would put a damper on an otherwise "relaxing":lol: vacation. there are many places on the internet, the Disney site included, that will let you know what events will be taking place throughout the year. This includes all school based competitions. It may by beneficial for someone wanting to avoid such programs to look up these dates before planning their vacation.

As for the Mardi Gras refugees...understand that New Orleans swells by over a million tourist from the week prior to Mardi Gras day until ash Wednesday. Locals do escape. Traditionally they go skiing. However, the kids don't go back to schol until either ash wednesday or thursday, so vacations to kid oriented destinations are common, and who can blame them?

Mardi Gras is a regional holiday and like all regional holidays, Disney will see visitation from these areas. This is what makes Lincoln's birthday(parts of the midwest) and MLK birthday(most parts of the US) such popular Disney vacation times. And don't forget Gay days and the two months of spring break, ect.

Unfortunately there are only a handful of weeks during the year that Disney is not being visited by large groups or regional vacationers. As noted before, the 2nd week of January and the end of sept/beginning of Oct. are the times to go if you want Disney all to yourself.

It's unfair to yourself to be disappointed in your Disney experience. There are many resources to aid you in your planning to avoid such let down. That's what we are here for:animwink:

wannab@dis

longfamily said:
It's unfair to yourself to be disappointed in your Disney experience. There are many resources to aid you in your planning to avoid such let down. That's what we are here for:animwink:
Don't get me wrong, it didn't RUIN the vacation by no means for us. We only had one week available to go during December. I knew that PW was going to be there, but we figured we could work around it and it wouldn't be a big deal. If schedules can't be adjusted next time, we'll grin and bear it. I just can't believe that kids are so self-centered they can't understand they shouldn't scream 24/7 while in public!

MKCP 1985

Pan said:
We had a great time last week, but the crowd levels were pretty disappointing for what is suppose to be "value season". For anyone considering going the week of Mardi Gras when it falls in early Feb, you may want to try a different week. MK was absolutely packed Feb 7-9. 60 min waits for Space Mountain, Pooh, etc. Extra Magic Hour on Wed night was not very magical. Rumour had it that 75% of the people in the parks were from the state of Louisiana, escaping Mardi Gras, plus kids have that week off of school. Now don't get me wrong, these were all very nice folk, but this is not what I had in mind during off-season. Adding to the crowds were packs of cheerleaders there for the National Championships. The weekend before it was dancing squads. :brick:

I think I'll try late Jan next time. With that said, the weather was great, and we had a wonderful trip. Mega-trip report to be posted tomorrow.

I have emphasized in bold the fact you had a great time and a wonderful trip, and I am trying to get over the "warning" to the board about being at the parks when people are coming down from Louisiana or elsewhere to get away from Mardi Gras. I find it surprising that I am now lumped into a group about whom a board member now wishes to complain. "Those Mardi Gras people!" :(

wannab@dis

MKCP 1985 said:
I have emphasized in bold the fact you had a great time and a wonderful trip, and I am trying to get over the "warning" to the board about being at the parks when people are coming down from Louisiana or elsewhere to get away from Mardi Gras. I find it surprising that I am now lumped into a group about whom a board member now wishes to complain. "Those Mardi Gras people!" :(

They were not bashing the LA folks, just saying that the presence of those visitors greatly increased the crowds!

MKCP 1985

. . . and warning people to "Beware of Mardi Gras in Feb." << Thread title.

Presumably, if a warning to "beware" is necessary, my being there with my neighbors is bad, even if we are good. :(

SpenceMan01

longfamily said:

We went Jan 5-15 this year and the crowds were reasonably small. I think the longest line we waited in was for Jungle Cruise (and then our skipper SUCKED :cry:). On the 14th we saw cheerleaders *cringe* at DtD and that same night a brazillian group moved into ALL of the rooms surrounding us at 11 at night at were very loud.... and we had to be up at 4 to catch our flight :mad:. The guest service lady was a b**ch when we complained. Whatever you do, don't stay at the Hawthorne Suites on Palm Parkway. They suck.

So the groups really started arriving as we were leaving. Looks like we got the hell outta Dodge just in time!

SpectroMan

MKCP 1985 said:
. . . and warning people to "Beware of Mardi Gras in Feb." << Thread title.

Presumably, if a warning to "beware" is necessary, my being there with my neighbors is bad, even if we are good. :(

I think the "beware" is more for just the crowd levels. When you go to WDW during the early part of the year, you don't expect many crowds. Mardi Gras is one of the exceptions, and that what the warning is about.

I have to say that crowds during Mardi Gras have to be better than crowds during the summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom