Beverages on board

devoy1701

Original Poster
Question for you guys, does DCL have the same soft drink policy as the other cruiselines where you have to pay additional for softdrinks via a card or sticker @ $50/person or something along those lines?

Also, what is the policy with DCL in bringing aboard softdrinks/bottles of wine or both? Are you allowed 1 case of soda per person and would you still be allowed to bring wine on board or is it going to be one or the other?

Thanks for your help!

Martian Crab

I went on the Disney cruise in 2008. Softdrinks were free. I brought a 750ml bottle of bourbon in my carry-on that went through the scanner. None of the security people said anything about it and as a result I saved a tremendous amount of money.

devoy1701

Original Poster
I went on the Disney cruise in 2008. Softdrinks were free. I brought a 750ml bottle of bourbon in my carry-on that went through the scanner. None of the security people said anything about it and as a result I saved a tremendous amount of money.

Good to hear about the softdrinks. VERY SURPRISED about the Bourbon! When I worked for Holland America Line the security personal were very good any making sure alcohol didn't get through. Usually at the end of the week the confiscated liquor would be divied among the deputies, security personal, and shoreside staff after the ship sailed. :lol:

Martian Crab

I was surprised too. I put my backpack on the belt and wondered if they were going to say something but no one did. Maybe I just got lucky and the "security" wasn't paying attention.

Disneyfalcon

Disney is an exception to most cruise lines in that soft drinks are free in the dining rooms and at the beverage stations, and you can carry alcohol on. :)

devoy1701

Original Poster
Disney is an exception to most cruise lines in that soft drinks are free in the dining rooms and at the beverage stations, and you can carry alcohol on. :)

Thanks Tammy. Is there a written policy on how much alcohol you're allowed to bring? I heard one bottle per person, but if we're talking wine for dinner and whatnot, that only does me good 2 nights and we're on a 7 night cruise...

I didn't think they would allow liquor on board though! That's very surprising and good news. Of course we'll end up buying some fruity frozen stuff at the pools, but with free softdrinks it will be nice to have some simple rum and cokes without breaking the bank!

If you could point me to a link where I can read up on it I would appreciate it very much!

devoy1701

Original Poster
I think I found the answer to my own question...there doesn't seem to be a limit to what kind or how much alcohol you bring with you so long as your carryon doesn't exceed a certain size.

Honesty is the best policy with Disney, and moderation is the key. Here is the line's policy as told to us by the media relations department.

Guests can purchase alcohol in a port and bring it to their stateroom.

Disney Cruise Line does not prohibit Guests from bringing alcohol onboard. However, please be aware that any fragile items (including alcohol) must be hand-carried onboard in a day bag and/or carry-on, which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep.

Please note that beverage coolers are not permitted onboard (cannot be checked or hand carried). Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine, or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $15.00 per bottle.

Read more: http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/feature/alcoholpolicies-090707.cfm#ixzz1PAcj55bP

This part gets a little confusing though it specifically mentions Eastern Carribean and we're sailing Western:

Each Guest returning from the Eastern Caribbean to the U.S. can bring back up to a total of U.S. $1,200 worth of duty-free merchandise (retail price). However, no more than $800 in combined purchases can be made on board the ship, St. Maarten and Castaway Cay. Or, the entire U.S. $1,200 exemption may be used on purchases from St. Thomas alone. Each Guest 21 and older is limited to 5 liters of alcohol (only 1 liter can be acquired in St. Maarten or on the ship, with an additional 4 liters being exempt if purchased on St. Thomas, provided at least 1 liter is produced in the U.S. Virgin Islands).

Read more: http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/feature/alcoholpolicies-090707.cfm#ixzz1PAd6jH2V

Disneyfalcon

That information looks correct. No limit. There is an uncorking fee in the dining room as stated.

It is very different from the other cruise lines, but it is a great benefit! The free sodas are a great benefit for me because I would spend a fortune on cokes!:lol:

Kaleigh

Yeah, there are certain customs regulations on how much alcohol you can bring back into the US from anywhere, but if you consume it on the boat, you should be fine. The regulations for customs are usually 1 bottle of wine per person (or equal quantitiy in liquor).

ChuckElias

That information looks correct. No limit. There is an uncorking fee in the dining room as stated.
My mom and my wife had bought a special bottle and were saving it for my parents' anniversary cruise. My mom died before that cruise, but we brought the bottle and toasted my mom at dinner. They waived the corking fee.

The free sodas are a great benefit for me because I would spend a fortune on cokes!:lol:
Me, too!!

Phonedave

Be aware that if you purchase duty free alcohol ON the ship, they will hold it until departure day (or at least they used to)

They have a duty free shop on board, but you can't use it as your personal on-board liquor store.

-dave

Kind of in the same vein of this thread so I'll ask it here. Call me crazy if you want but just curious on if anyone knows what is on tap, say in the sports bar (forget the name at the moment)? I ask only because Disney used to have my favorite drink on tap but last time I went it was only in bottle form, where as it's on tap at WDW in the UK pavilion.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Kind of in the same vein of this thread so I'll ask it here. Call me crazy if you want but just curious on if anyone knows what is on tap, say in the sports bar (forget the name at the moment)? I ask only because Disney used to have my favorite drink on tap but last time I went it was only in bottle form, where as it's on tap at WDW in the UK pavilion.

On the Magic they have,

Heineken
Amstel
Stella Artois
Newcastle Ale

I think there is 1 more but im not sure what it was

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom