Best/Worst Pre-Show in each Park

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
What do you think is the best pre-show in each park (and why)? And which do you think is the worst (or at least the biggest letdown...exclude from the list those attractions that don't really have a pre-show to speak of.)? Here is my list:

Magic Kingdom

Best: Space Mountain - Sure, it is a little cheesy in spots, but I love how after all these years, it still builds the excitement of the ride that is to follow. Once inside the mountain, I've never been bored waiting in line for this attraction. There is always something cool to look at.

Worst: Splash Mountain - It is one of my favorite attractions at the entire resort, but it could stand to have a more exciting pre-show. You're really just walking through tunnels with the occasional flickering light and whenever you turn a corner and think you're going to see something exciting, it is usually a letdown.

Epcot

Best: Honey I Shrunk the Audience - Most people will probably disagree with me on this one. But the "True Colors" slideshow is so powerful and emotional in it's simplicity. Perhaps the fact that I'm really into photography has something to do with it too. But it just always seems like one of those things Walt would have done. He didn't always have to spend big bucks on a huge elaborate show for it to be entertaining.

Worst: Test Track - This isn't a terrible pre-show. Just a bit of a letdown compared to what it could be. There's nothing all that interesting to look at while you're snaking around the queue area. Maybe if the crash test dummies were animated or something, it would be better. The only part that's entertaining is when you go into that little room right before moving on to your test vehicle.

MGM

Best: Tower of Terror (actually, this is the best attraction pre-show in the world!) - Every time I walk into the lobby I believe I'm in an actual hotel. I'm always looking around for details that I may have missed on previous visits. The show in the library is done so well and in the true spirit of the Twilight Zone. And the boiler room is the perfect setting to set that eerie tone.

Worst: Great Movie Ride - It has always seemed to me that they could have done something more exciting with all that space while you're waiting.

Animal Kingdom

Best: Dinosaur - While it could be better still, I do enjoy the video they show you right before boarding the vehicles. It does a great job of helping you to understand the storyline of the attraction while you're riding it.

Worst: Kilamanjaro Safari - For being this park's signature attraction, it really could have more of a pre-show than the occasionally display while you're waiting in line.

JRead

MK
--Best: Alien Encounter, love XS tech, SIR (Tim Curray yeah!) and skippy.
--Worst: Space Mountain, always found it boring and tough on the eyes after being out in the bright sun not to mention slightly claustrophobic.

Epcot
--Best: Cranium Command, I've always found it very amusing and it introduces the narrative more than many other preshows.
--Worst: Living Seas, worst in the entire park (or is that not technically a preshow?)

MGM
--Best: Tower of Terror, the best on property, great especially right after dusk
--Worst: as much as I love them both I've seen RnR and the Muppets and few too many times. I only saw the Fantasmic preshow once and thought it stunk, and having a lack of one is only a little better.

AK
--Best: Dinosaur (Tough to be a Bug a close second)
--Worst: didn't dislike them but Kali and Kilamanjaro could have had a lot more.

jedimusik

MK: Best - Pirates of the Caribbean. Nice ambience, similar to ride.
Worst - Most of the pre-shows at MK are slim to non-existent. (Space mtn, Alien Enc., Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mtn., Buzz Lightyear, Jungle Cruise,Tiki Birds, am I missing any?).

AK: It's either Tough/Bug, Safari, Dinosaur or Kali.
Best: Kali - Very nice decor. A rarity at Disney, I'm actually usually disappointed when there's no line so I can check it out more.
Worst: Safari - because it's usually SO HOT!

Epcot: Best: Tie between Energy and Cranium Command. "I'll take a nap for $200" and "What do you think this is, Disney World?!"
Worst: Living Seas

MGM: Best: Tower of Terror is the best pre-show in the World. The ride is practically optional.
Worst: Great Movie Ride - they need to update the movie clips in the theater.

Epcot is my fav

Best

MK- Space Mountain-love thr darkness

MGM- Tower of Terror!!!!! the best

Epcot- Cranium Command

AK- Its Tough to be a Bug....the tree is beautiful

WORST

MK-Spalsh Mountain

MGM- Great Movie Ride

Epcot- Living with the Land- the writing on the wall in the que is boring to read

AK- Probably the worst in all WDW- Dinosaur- "Helloo There" just isnt funny!!!!!!!

Brett

Magic Kingdom
Best: Alien Encounter - It pushes you into a story so well. The video lays the foundation and then the incredible animatronic S.I.R. finishes the job.

Worst: Pretty much everything at MK. Not that most of these rides need pre-shows, but everything from Splash Mountain to Pirates lack them.

Epcot
Best: Ellen's Energy Adventure - Just plain funny. Sets up the story nicely and is funny. What else do you need?

Worst: Honey, I Shrunk The Audience - I absolutely love the "True Colors" video. It's gorgeous. But it drags on for a while. I wanted to put Test Track in this spot, I do remember getting a little annoyed at HISTA for dragging on and on with its "True Colors"

Disney Studios
Best: Muppetvision 3-D - Probably my favorite pre-show. The Muppets are hilarious. You don't really need a story for the Muppets except that they are putting on a show for you. Which gives this guys a chance to just have fun for a while. Friggin' hilarious.

Worst: Tower of Terror - Flame away! Tower of Terror was a great pre-show. WAS! But absolutely hate to wait through it now. That little TV, a crowd of people squished together. Just herd us along to the boiler room and get me on the ride.

Animal Kingdom
Best: N/A

Worst: Dinosaur - I can't stand Dr. Marsh/Seeker. That pre-show makes me wanna break on through to the other side (By that I mean the doors, not the band, but the doors). That hand puppet (Hellllooo, there!) Ahhhh!!!

GoCamels

MK

Best: TIE Space and Pirates...both are very subdued but fit the theme of the ride without having to be over-the-top

Worst: TIE Buzz and Small World...Buzz is just too short to really be a pre show, the "life-size" Buzz and use of video projection is neat...but its lost on its focus audience (the pre-12s)

Small World's que is so big inside the load area, that it doesnt lend itself to a pre-show expereince, but I think there are a ton better in MK.

Animal

Best: Bug...the music used in the roots prior to the doors is just so neat

Worst: I think the entry into the hub is just too overgrown to be enjoyed. You dont get that sense of excitment that you get walking towards the TREE (hub) like at MK.

MGM

Best/Worst: Have to save judgement, since we did limited number of attractions in our first visit last July. Mermaid pre-show doesn't do anything for me, and Playhouse is almost like something they slapped together because theres no room for a que

Epcot

Best/Worst: Also save judgement because my last visit there was 15 years ago so I cant be truly honest.

ToTBellHop

The Best Ones:

1) The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror--from the moment you pass its creepy marquee to the moment you exit back onto Sunset Boulevard, the theming never stops, nor does the story
2) The Haunted Mansion--who doesn't love this preshow?! We see Master Gracey age in front of us, and then hang from the ceiling, all the while listening to our favorite Ghost Host lines--which I know we all know by heart
3) Kali River Rapids--very kewl theming to make it feel like you are passing through an ancient village--what this lacks in story it makes up for in artistry
4) I don't particularly like any of them at Epcot (none blow me away like the other three), but from what I have seen and heard of Mission: SPACE--I'll go with Gary Sinise's new attraction (and I will make a final decision whenever I ride it...August of this year or March 2004)

The Worst Ones:

1) Primeval Whirl! Fun ride--very little story presented in the queue
2) Living with the Land--I agree. The quotes from 1990 are old...we need something new!
3) Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Is there even a story?
4) Sounds Dangerous. I have lost faith in ABC...stop telling me to watch its shows (or lack thereof--I think they have fewer than 8 sitcoms on there now...sad)

BradleyJ

Originally posted by jedimusik
Worst: Great Movie Ride - they need to update the movie clips in the theater.

Why??

They are the Previews of the Movie Clips Re-Created that you see in the ride.

It really is so clever and makes so much since most people don't get it or realize it.

Dayma

Here is my best:

Haunted Mansion - Used to be better but I still love it.
POT - Great setting and gets u in the mood.
Star Tours - Just plain fun
Muppets - Also fun and keeps you watching
Alien Encounter - Bad ride but kinda cool start to it

Worst :

Spaceship Earth - needs something more at the beggining
Jungle Boat - not much to say here

meeko_33785

MK:
Best- Haunted Mansion (Great themeing that sets the stage and story well)
Worst- Dumbo (for an attraction with such a long wait, you think there would be a more interetsing pre-show)

EPCOT:
Best- American Adventure (The Voices of Liberty are always wonderful. I think I see the preshow more than I've seen the actual attraction)
Worst- Maelstrom is one of the most boring queues in the world, with the Land a close second.

MGM:
Best- Tower of Terror (The most spectacular preshow on property)
Worst- Sounds Dangerous (What preshow?)

AK:
Best- Dinosaur (Great theming)
Worst- TriceraTops Spin (see Dumbo)

As for the Great Movie Ride Preshow, I like it. It is a great and cleaver way to tie in the movie theater theme and introduce the films you will be entering.

Natelox

I think you people have gotten que's and preshows mixed up.

Some of the best ques are Tower Of Terror and Killiminjaro Safaris, Splash mountain, Big thunder mountain, Kali River Rapids, Pirates of the carribiean etc...

Preshows, IMO, are useless and just slow down the que. While people could be continusly loading into cars they have to be stopped for a preshow which most are usually less than par. The only good preshow is the haunted mansion, but even that slows the que down so much! Everyone could just walk onto the buggys but instead you have to wait for the stretching room.

Are we counting queues as being pre-show?

MK
Best - Alien Encounter
Worse - Tomorrowland Speedway

EPCOT
Best - Ellen's Energy Adventure
Worse - Body Wars

MGM-DS
Best - Tower of Terror (without question)
Worse - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

DAK
Best - It's Tough To Be A Bug
Worse - Dinosaur (great queue area gets ruined by annoying video)

jedimusik

--While people could be continusly loading into cars they have to be stopped for a preshow which most are usually less than par.--

Actually, most of them are to give you something to do while you wait - you wouldn't get on the ride any faster without it, but it breaks up the wait, sets up the story as well.

For instance, Test Track - when you leave the "theater" there is still a line on the other side; the cars aren't sitting there empty waiting for you as soon as you get out of the room.

jedimusik

--Are we counting queues as being pre-show?--

Good point - define pre-show. I think people here (including the person starting this thread) are including the whole pre-ride "experience" as a "pre-show".

Does it have to be a video or animatronic presentation - what if the queue has a video playing (like Backstage Tour or Playhouse Disney) on monitors overhead? Does it have to be in a separate room?

dox

Exactly! Everyone here is totally confusing the two. An elaborately detailed queue is not a pre-show!!!( a la Space Mt. or Pirates) Nor do I think would Disney consider monitors hanging over your head as you wind your way through a queue a pre-show. A pre-show is exactly that a show and/or presentation prior to the commencement of the actual ride. Yeah Space and Pirates do a great job of setting the tone for the ride to come, but that doesn't make it a pre-show. Nor does every ride require a pre-show. Sorry if i'm getting a bit annoyed hear but comments like Dumbo needs a pre-show??? and the storyline on TTA is non-existent?? are completely non-sensical.
Thus my favorite pre-shows are:
MK: Alien Encounter - Skippy Rules! (for now)
MGM: Tie between the library in ToT and the Muppets - i also liked the robin williams Peter Pan cartoon at the
Animation building
Epcot: Cranium Command
AK: absolutely nada (only Dino has a pre-show and it is so so)

T1nker_Bell

Best pre shows:

True Colors-Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
-I thought it was very pretty and entertaining

Tower of Terror-
Exellect preshow, that simple. My favorite

Worst pre shows:
Alien Encounter... I just hate it.

SnowWhite5669

)
Originally posted by BradleyJ
Why??

They are the Previews of the Movie Clips Re-Created that you see in the ride.

It really is so clever and makes so much since most people don't get it or realize it.

That is so funny because I must have been on the ride a 100 times and just recently figured that the preview was really a review of the ride:hammer: :hammer:
Best pre-shows:

MK- Haunted Mansion (just try to get a host to smile!!)

Epcot- I must say Test Track but only because when you get in the briefing room the two hosts are named Sherri & Bill (me and my husband :) )

MGM- RnRC (I don't do Tower of Terror)
I can't really think of any really bad pre-shows!!

jedimusik

--That is so funny because I must have been on the ride a 100 times and just recently figured that the preview was really a review of the ride--

Sort of. IIRC, there are movies in the pre-show (queue show? Pre-ride?) that are not in the ride and vice versa - that's what makes it a tad misleading.

Hochmania

MK
-----
Best: Alien Encounter - I think it's original
Worst: Buzz Lightyear - Boring and repetitive...I hate hearing that stupid siren go off around Buzz every 20 seconds.

Epcot
--------
Best: Cranium Command - Very funny
Worst: Maelstrom - Gag me with a spoon

MGM
------
Best: MuppetVision - The preshow should be a show in itself....very funny on all levels
Worst: Sounds Dangerous - Those little tv's with trivia are stupid.

Hurricane

Originally posted by Epcot is my fav

WORST

Epcot- Living with the Land- the writing on the wall in the que is boring to read

Thats because there isn't supposed to be a wait ofr living with the land so the queue doesn't have to be good ; )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom