Best way to get to Universal from DLR?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
This July I am heading west to DLR for the first time ever and my sister is coming with me. She expressed some interest in possibly spending a day at USH. We are staying at the Villas at Grand Californian and we aren't renting a car. What is the best (cheapest and fastest) way to get to USH? I was looking at the coachamerica.com site but it seems sort of expensive. :shrug:

RonAnnArbor

Call Universal -- they have shuttle van services that pick up in front of the Disney resorts and transport to Universal and drop you back at the end of the day....but Disney will NOT, I repeat NOT help you in any way shape or form. This is a Universal thing, and Disney doesn't want to lose their dollars to them when they could be getting them out of you to stay in their parks.

There is a charge for the van service.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
Call Universal -- they have shuttle van services that pick up in front of the Disney resorts and transport to Universal and drop you back at the end of the day....but Disney will NOT, I repeat NOT help you in any way shape or form. This is a Universal thing, and Disney doesn't want to lose their dollars to them when they could be getting them out of you to stay in their parks.

There is a charge for the van service.

It is totally understandable that Disney doesn't want us crossing over to the darkside. :lol: That is interesting that Universal has a shuttle service...and that Disney allows them to pick up people on their property. I guess I will have to do a little research on the USH site to figure this out. Thanks for the help!

nemofinder22

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/visitor_info_transportation.html

Anaheim Area Shuttle PLUS Park Admission

One easy purchase for Universal Studios Hollywood admission plus transportation to and from Anaheim.

Get convenient door-to-door service from your Anaheim area hotel to Universal Studios Hollywood on a comfortable, deluxe bus operated by Southern California Gray Line, making it easier than ever before to get to Hollywood!

Ticket Includes:

* 1-day admission to Universal Studios HollywoodSM
* Transportation to and from your Anaheim area hotel to Universal Studios Hollywood
* Prior to purchase, check the list of participating hotels
http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/pdf/Grayline_Hotel_List.pdf

DLR ticket booths also sell the City Pass that includes admission for a 3 day park hopper for DL/DCA, 1 day Uni. 1 day Sea World, 1 day at San Deigo Zoo/ Well if you wanted to do all those lol

Laura

Premium Member
Do you have any idea which day you would do this? I could always tag along and give you a ride. :lookaroun

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
Do you have any idea which day you would do this? I could always tag along and give you a ride. :lookaroun

I am 90% sure that we are looking at Tuesday. We kind of preferred Wednesday but that is the day of the add-on tour that I think I want to do. I'm not positive we are going to do the tour though. Are you doing it? Does one day work better for you than another?

Laura

Premium Member
I am 90% sure that we are looking at Tuesday. We kind of preferred Wednesday but that is the day of the add-on tour that I think I want to do. I'm not positive we are going to do the tour though. Are you doing it? Does one day work better for you than another?

I don't even know what the add-on tour entails or even means. :lol:

Day preference: the weekend. :lookaroun So that probably won't happen, huh. :lol:

TP2000

The Universal buses that pick up people from different spots around the Anaheim Resort area can't be beat for convenience, although you are then locked into their schedule for getting back. Make sure you are investigating the return trip times so you aren't short changed on your Universal time at the park.

There's also the train. There are about two dozen Metrolink or Surfliner trains per day that go northbound from the Anaheim station to Los Angeles Union Station, where you then go down the escalators to the Red Line subway platform and take a Red Line train to the Universal City station. That's a journey of about 90 minutes, but it gets you there and you aren't tied into bus schedules. The last Surfliner train south to Anaheim leaves LA at 10:30PM or so.

The cost of a one-day rental car might be in the same ballpark as those options, and there is an Alamo desk in Downtown Disney, or a Hertz, Enterprise and Avis agencies across the street from GardenWalk. And with that option, you get to experience another E Ticket Attraction; the Great Southern California Freeway System! :lol:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
The Universal buses that pick up people from different spots around the Anaheim Resort area can't be beat for convenience, although you are then locked into their schedule for getting back. Make sure you are investigating the return trip times so you aren't short changed on your Universal time at the park.

There's also the train. There are about two dozen Metrolink or Surfliner trains per day that go northbound from the Anaheim station to Los Angeles Union Station, where you then go down the escalators to the Red Line subway platform and take a Red Line train to the Universal City station. That's a journey of about 90 minutes, but it gets you there and you aren't tied into bus schedules. The last Surfliner train south to Anaheim leaves LA at 10:30PM or so.

The cost of a one-day rental car might be in the same ballpark as those options, and there is an Alamo desk in Downtown Disney, or a Hertz, Enterprise and Avis agencies across the street from GardenWalk. And with that option, you get to experience another E Ticket Attraction; the Great Southern California Freeway System! :lol:

I think that is on E-ticket attraction I am okay with skipping. I've driven in a lot of scary places in the world (my favorite was Greece...traffic control signs are nothing but roadside decoration there) , but I am not sure I am willing to risk my life driving in SoCal. :lol:

We are probably just going to put ourselves at the mercy of the Universal shuttle (or hitch a ride with Laura if we can all agree on a day! :lookaroun). I would hope they would at least have the sense to have their last shuttle depart from LA at or near park close. If not I guess we will just have to deal with a shorter day and spend our evening repenting to the Mouse for our sins. Forgive me Mickey for I have sinned...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom