Best Rooms for Five

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
We just finished an amazing week in one of the new Little Mermaid rooms in Trinidad at CBR. These rooms are fantastic for families of five! The room was incredibly well designed with the pull down beds, tons of storage, and plenty of space for a family of 2 adults and 3 children. We were blown away by the functionality. The location in Trinidad wasn't bad with proximity to skyliner and the spy glass grill.

We are looking to return and want to try a new resort. Which resorts also have well designed rooms for five? Pros / Cons / Favorites of yours?

Worldlover71

We've been looking at DVC studio villas. Several of them, like the Boardwalk and Boulder Ridge villas at the Wilderness Lodge have the two pull down beds in addition to the regular bed. Deluxe rooms are a bit larger than moderates, and that extra space is a big help with five people.

Weather_Lady

For 5, I prefer a room that includes a dresser for storage (meaning, the 5th person can't be on a fold-down Murphy under the TV). Bonus points if there's a usable desk or table (not a table that gets folded away when all the beds are down) with one or more chairs, for eating. I know that most deluxe standard rooms (but not Wilderness Lodge, which only sleeps 4) have these features. Not sure about moderates/values, as I haven't stayed at any that haven't undergone a refurb since.

If you can do without a dresser (e.g., bring collapsible folding shelf units for the closet, or keep clothes in packing cubes that can be stacked in the bathroom vanity, or just live out of suitcases), then any of the DVC studios except for Beach Club (which has tiny, cramped studios with the folding table under the Murphy bed, rendering it largely useless for a party of 5 that will need to use that bed) would probably fit the bill, with those at the Polynesian being the largest (and offering an additional 3/4 bath, with additional storage!). Plus, of course, all of the DVC studios (except the Grand Floridian Resort Studio Villas, which have the "plus" of offering 2 proper beds plus a daybed, but the "minus" of not having a full kitchenette) having a kitchenette with mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, sink, and counter and shelf space, which is fantastic if you're preparing meals or snacks in the room. We typically rent DVC points and end up spending less on a DVC studio than we'd pay to stay at a non-discounted moderate the same week.

The Fort Wilderness cabins were also a great option for families of 5 or 6, with sleeping spaces for 6, a dining area, and almost a full kitchen -- however, those are slated for replacement and it's unclear how the floorplans in the new units might change.

Last edited:

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
For 5, I prefer a room that includes a dresser for storage (meaning, the 5th person can't be on a fold-down Murphy under the TV). Bonus points if there's a usable desk or table (not a table that gets folded away when all the beds are down) with one or more chairs, for eating. I know that most deluxe standard rooms (but not Wilderness Lodge, which only sleeps 4) have these features. Not sure about moderates/values, as I haven't stayed at any that haven't undergone a refurb since.

If you can do without a dresser (e.g., bring collapsible folding shelf units for the closet, or keep clothes in packing cubes that can be stacked in the bathroom vanity, or just live out of suitcases), then any of the DVC studios except for Beach Club (which has tiny, cramped studios with the folding table under the Murphy bed, rendering it largely useless for a party of 5 that will need to use that bed) would probably fit the bill, with those at the Polynesian being the largest (and offering an additional 3/4 bath, with additional storage!). Plus, of course, all of the DVC studios (except the Grand Floridian Resort Studio Villas, which have the "plus" of offering 2 proper beds plus a daybed, but the "minus" of not having a full kitchenette) having a kitchenette with mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, sink, and counter and shelf space, which is fantastic if you're preparing meals or snacks in the room. We typically rent DVC points and end up spending less on a DVC studio than we'd pay to stay at a non-discounted moderate the same week.

The Fort Wilderness cabins were also a great option for families of 5 or 6, with sleeping spaces for 6, a dining area, and almost a full kitchen -- however, those are slated for replacement and it's unclear how the floorplans in the new units might change.
Excellent info - thanks! The Boulder Ridge deluxe studios look good, but the one sink is a disappointment as well as the pull down bed under the TV. The kitchenette is nice though!

I'm skittish about renting DVC points, I might just need to get over it!

SamandplanningUK

We are staying at The Riviera in a deluxe studio - it sleeps 5 but we are staying because our kids are 15 and 18 and don't want to share a bed. We didn't rent DVC points, just booked through Virgin.

nickys

Premium Member
POR has rooms for 5, haven’t stayed there though so can’t comment first hand.

Some of the Deluxe resorts have rooms with a day bed, and if you’re booking for 5 I assume you would be given one of those. We had one at the Beach Club. The slight downside was that the toilet and tub / shower were in the same room, but the vanity was separate.

Last trip I initially booked the All Stars Music Family Suite, which has a separate bedroom and two queens in the living room, plus a kitchen with fridge and microwave.

The new FW Cabins will still sleep 6 and have a kitchen. We don’t know the layout though as @Weather_Lady said. Currently there are bunk beds in the bedroom and a queen pull-out. They may change that to the more standard DVC model of a master bedroom and two pull-outs but we’ll have to wait to find out.

Ayla

Excellent info - thanks! The Boulder Ridge deluxe studios look good, but the one sink is a disappointment as well as the pull down bed under the TV. The kitchenette is nice though!

I'm skittish about renting DVC points, I might just need to get over it!
We stayed in a 2 bed villa at Old Key West. The space was amazing for 5 people (3 different family groups). It was 2 bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a full kitchen/living/dining and a full size washer and dryer. We got it for a steal because we won the points at a charity auction, so our entire weeks stay was like $1300.

MickeyLuv'r

A favorite of ours are just about all of the hotels in Flamingo Crossings. (Fairfield has reg size hotel rooms, but I think all the rest offer bigger suites). If you have 5, one person tends to get a sleeper sofa, but with 2bedrooms as an option.

Over by Universal, the Residence Inn is just about perfect.

The only downside is none of them have exciting pools. The Hilton properties have a waterslide, or one of them does, but the rest have boring pools. We tend to stay there in winter when swimming isn't important.

Also, you kinda need to have a car for Flamingo Crossing, but the trade-off is the area has a mini-Target, Walgreens and a number of dining options. Much of the development is very new. but you can get some inexpensive decent food options for a lot less than eating at WDW. All of the above come with breakfast.

We don't like to actually cook, but it is very nice having a fridge. We often get carry out and eat it in the room. We also stock beverages, so it is nice not having to deal with those little mini-fridges.

The Residence Inn his walkable to Universal. A bit of a walk but doable. They also offer a shuttle. I love the layout of the rooms there though.

About 7 years ago, we stayed a WDW Treehouse. Those were pretty neat. They are ways from everything, but really neat. Pricey though.

KTK

I don't know what your budget is, but the Epcot resorts all sleep five guests. Location is great; you can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios or take a boat. Only a 5-10 minute walk to Epcot International Gateway entrance. Also, can pick up the Sky Liner outside of Epcot at the International Gateway. Lots of places to eat. If you stay at Beach or Yacht Club, the pool they share is perhaps the best of all the hotels. Rooms all have two sinks. The biggest con is the cost. You also didn't say how old your children were so overall theming isn't towards young ones though my kids were young when we stayed there, and they didn't mind at all.

Figgy1

Premium Member
If you're eligible Shades of Green's rooms all sleep 5. Pros cost, large rooms(4 adult sized people with lots of luggage fit with no problem) quiet as in extremely quiet, food and drink costs are lower, the pool doesn't get over crowded even on the hottest days, the gym is well equipped, dedicated busses. Cons not Disney themed, touches but not themed, food offerings not great,

MR.Dis

Best by far is Kidani Village 1 Bedroom. Lots of space, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, and washer/dryer in room. If you splurge and get a Savanah view, a great way to wake up with a cup of coffee on the veranda watching the animals.

Scott B

We just finished an amazing week in one of the new Little Mermaid rooms in Trinidad at CBR. These rooms are fantastic for families of five! The room was incredibly well designed with the pull down beds, tons of storage, and plenty of space for a family of 2 adults and 3 children. We were blown away by the functionality. The location in Trinidad wasn't bad with proximity to skyliner and the spy glass grill.

We are looking to return and want to try a new resort. Which resorts also have well designed rooms for five? Pros / Cons / Favorites of yours?
Beach Club has room for five. Usually two queen beds and a twin pullout. Beach Club area is one of the best at WDW. You can walk to EPCOT and take boat to HS. Also, Skyliner has a stop at International Gateway entrance to EPCOT.

Marionnette

IMO, the Poly studios are perhaps the best for a group of 5. Much roomier than the Boardwalk or Beach Club studios. Plus, the Poly studios have a split bathroom which just makes it easier when you have that many bodies in one room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom