Best Resort for a young couple?

coachwnh

Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are planning our Disney Trip for the week after Christmas this year. Now, I have been to Disney many times (close to 10) but never as just a couple - always been with family or friends. I have stayed at Coronado Springs, Boardwalk, All Star and probably a few others I don't remember since I was so young.

We have been looking at Port Orleans French Quarter and Caribbean Beach. The moderates are at the upper limit of what we can afford. What are your recommendations for us a young couple? Thanks in advance!

Welcome the WDWMagic!

I have never stayed at POFQ, but if I were going as a couple and a moderate were my limit, I'd pick there.

On the moderate level, we have stayed at Coronado, Riverside, and Caribbean Beach (but haven't stayed at any in several years). And again, never stayed at FQ, but that would be my choice. It just seems more like a couples resort. Riverside would be a close second. Look into a carriage ride for the two of you should you pick POR.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And my first choice would be POR and then FQ. The Bayous are set off in a woodsie setting, themed rustic cabinish. The Mansions are just that, elegant southern charm.

Bonus of POR is the quiet pools. Often you have these all to yourself a nice perk. FQ bonus is their hot tub area is more quaint.

JillC LI

Well, all the moderates have some rooms with a single King sized bed available, usually for 20-30 bucks more a night.

Not sure how I could have forgotten that. Last time we were at CBR, we had adjoining rooms with my mom who had a King size bed in her room for the same price that we paid for 2 double beds (for us and the kids). One child wound up staying with grandma each night so the other one had their own bed.

Last edited:

Obi

We LOOOOOOOVES the Edit feature!

NO! We HATES the Editses feature!!!

You really didn't have to fix anything though, I just thought it was a conveniently funny sort of error, versus any sort of question of literacy.
slappy, been trying to figure out where i have seen the character in your avatar... i FINALLY remembered!!! props to the mst3k ref....

slappy magoo

slappy, been trying to figure out where i have seen the character in your avatar... i FINALLY remembered!!! props to the mst3k ref....
Thanks. I wish I had access to National Geographic Channel; they're going to be on April Fool's Day for 3 hours goofing on their documentaries.

syoungkin39

I also place a vote for POFQ. The river view is quiet and relaxing and you can also take nice romantic carriage rides in the evening. I would also recommend trying to get the Royal Suite if possible. It's a great themed room and will make her feel like a Princess.

If you want to go really romantic and set the mood right, contact Disney Florists and get the Princess Package. I got it for my girlfriend last year (it was her first visit to Disney World since the 70s) and it came with a magic wand, romantic poem and tiara among other items. The second my girlfriend saw it, she started crying and I knew it was well worth the money.

smhurlb

Like others have said, POFQ would be my choice between the two. You will have some more convenient night time entertainment options (Yee Haw BoB) and a more romantic theme...

DizneyPryncess

DH & I stayed at POFQ before we had our little one. We thought it was a great "couple" resort. It was the quietest resort we have stayed at. We went for evening walks on the pathway over to POR, and back. There's carriage rides, and the ferry ride to DTD. That would be my recommendation!

PartOfYourWorld

I've never stayed at Caribbean Beach but I would go for POFQ. It is just beautiful there! Plus you can take a romantic carriage ride :) Those look like a lot of fun and romantic :)

DrexelDragon

Original Poster
Well, all the moderates have some rooms with a single King sized bed available, usually for 20-30 bucks more a night. If that goes out of your price range I'd personally choose one of the Port Orleans resorts, because even with young love being what it is, if you're sharing a bed, you should at least try to get a queen sized.

But as far as the romantic angle, I'd guess a lot has to do with what you find "romantic." And how much time you'll spend at the resort enjoying the amenities versus enjoying your privacy (mee-yow). Me, I'm not that much of a beach person, and prefer the Jersey Shore and Northeast style of beach versus the Caribbean, which is why I'd opt for POFQ. The grounds are also beautiful. As are the grounds at PO-R but of course that's also a much bigger resort. I'd also give PO-R points for quiet pools. No guarantees they'll stay quiet, but when I've been there, my significant other(s)* and I have managed to get some quality quiet time in those smaller slideless pools without kids cannonballing into them.

Another consideration (which I've been proffering a lot lately) is to see if you can rent DVC points. You'd get accommodations comparable to Disney Deluxe resorts for roughly the price of a moderate. The only downside is no other promotions would apply, like if you were hoping to snag a free dining offer or some other perk. But as a for-example, I looked up points for a room at the Villas @ Animal Kingdom with a Savannah view, and the price for rack rates at Caribbean Resort at the first week in January from this year. If you rented DVD points at around $14 per point, the cost is about the same once you factor in sales/resort taxes (which you wouldn't pay with DVC points). As would a Standard view room at Bay Lake Tower with rented points. Just something to consider...

* I wrote significant other(s) not because I'm some kind of crazy player, but because I've stayed at PO-R 3 times, twice with my first wife (back when it was called Dixie Landings) and once with my current wife. Each time I was situation very close to a quiet pool.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I was looking at renting DVC points, just a little weary about it..

We really, really adore Port Orleans- both French Quarter and Riverside. While Caribbean Beach is gorgeous, it definitely is large and sprawling- and I would definitely also recommend upgrading to a King Bed (as it is the only moderate that still has double beds). If you stay at POFQ, it is a nice stroll over to POR, where you'll find more options for dining and recreation, beautiful landscaping to explore, and Yeeha Bob Jackson at the River Roost.

Caribbean Beach also just wasn't our style. I have great pictures and think it is beautiful, but we much prefer the Port Orleans resorts. We actually honeymooned at POR 10 years ago this year (I still consider us a young couple, but we were a VERY young couple back then!)

How would you say the dining is at POR?

DrexelDragon

Original Poster
Before we were married, we stayed at Coronado and loved it. It was very quiet, serene, lots of nice walking paths, and great food. It tends to be the most quiet of the moderates due to its conference center (fewer kids). Happy choosing!

I've stayed at Coronado three times with my family are we really like it! It definitely was always quiet when we went, even during Christmas season.

mavlax20

I'm trying to decide between POFQ and POR for our one year anniversary (starting to plan a surprise trip for June 2015). We stayed at POR together last summer, and I've stayed at POFQ, but one pool at POFQ and multiple at POR, plus it was quite, would lead me to vote for POR. I would love to stay at a a deluxe resort but financially cannot right now (maybe a 5 year anniversary?). This thread has helped me a lot for planning, as a lot of people have mentioned Port Orleans as a whole.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
All the moderates are nice, in my opinion. I like Coronado and Caribbean the best because of the theming. IF you are really on a budget or don't plan on spending a lot of time at the park I'd go with the Pop. It has fun theming and good service for a value. My hubby and I really like the Pop a lot and we have stayed at Deluxe and moderates but find the Pop a great Disney resort value.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom