Best Resort for a Family of 5

kfergdisney

I know there are a limited number of resorts available for a family of 5, but which one would be the best for a family of 5 with 3 lively boys ranging in age from 14 to 7? The Grand Floridian is out of the question, but which other ones would you suggest?
Are the rooms for 5 people in Port Orleans Riverside good?

MaryJaneP

I've been onsite and offsite with spouse and 3 small kids (all girls). Offsite is okay, but nothing beats onsite. With 5 we have been in both Poly and Contemporary. To somewhat reduce the cost, we chose the farthest garden wing rooms at both resorts. Still pricey, but couldn't beat the proximity to the MK. Both had fun pools, fun boats, good views for fireworks, nice food, and benefits like walking to park and monorails. It really comes down to where you can afford to stay, but don't rule out Poly or CR.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

If Grand Floridian is out of the question because of price, then the Polynesian will be too. In fact, any of the Deluxes that sleep 5 would be. They're all ridonculously expensive.

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

If Grand Floridian is out of the question because of price, then the Polynesian will be too. In fact, any of the Deluxes that sleep 5 would be. They're all ridonculously expensive.

I didn't see why GF was out of question. If it is price, then you are right, all Deluxe will be too expensive.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Your least expensive option will be Port Orleans Riverside. I have stayed there numerous times with my three girls. It is a tad bit tight with 5 people in the room but we were just there for sleeping so space was not much of an issue. If you want more square footage the next option in terms of cost would be 2 rooms at a value resort, followed by the value suites.

Upvote 0

mrsdanalind

First what is your budget? After you figure out how much you are spending on rooms and food then look at what you want next. If money is no object then go with a higher priced resort. Can your youngest sleep on a roll away in one room with either his brothers or in your room? Have you looked into the suits at All stars resorts or the art of animation? They have a cars suite, that is what my daughter is going to use when we go down in December. That way the kids have their room and she and her dh have theirs.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

gardenia

I have 3 boys, so, speaking from experience.

The moderates are all too small for you, with your boys at the age they're at. Sad but true, if you decide to have a large family there are no "cheap" alternatives. You should consider 2 adjoining rooms at a value or moderate, or a Ft Wilderness cabin, or a villa off-site if you can't afford deluxe.

Upvote 0

kfergdisney

Original Poster
Grand Floridian is out of the question not because of the price, but for the lack if desire to stay there...weird, I know. Thanks for the suggestions.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Grand Floridian is out of the question not because of the price, but for the lack if desire to stay there...weird, I know. Thanks for the suggestions.

In that case your choices are Polynesian, Contemporary, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Boardwalk, All Star Music Suite, Fort Wilderness Cabin, Port Orleans Riverside, or a 2 bedroom villa at any of the DVC properties.

Upvote 0

ladydi

Wilderness Lodge does not sleep five unless you rent a villa. I agree with previous posters that POR rooms are too small with the ages of your boys. If you go with two value rooms, you have to be comfortable with the fact that your kids would be in a room with an outside door (if you could get connecting rooms). Technically, one adult is supposed to stay in each value room, with the exception of the suites. We've stayed at the Poly and GF with our family of five. The day bed is a full sized twin and the queen bed is better if you have a child who is a thrasher in his sleep (his brother sets up a wall of pillows for protection).

Upvote 0

38053WDW

The log cabins in fort wilderness sleep 6 and they are considered a moderate resort, and they are priced moderately.
We stayed there last time to try it out ... The cabins were great for room size - Seperate bedroom with a Full and bunkbed .... then the living room had a pull down. It's nice to put the kids to sleep and you can still watch TV in the living room. Big deck out front and oh so quiet .. I stayed home one day sick and it was so peaceful .... rented a golf cart a couple of days to run around ... really enjoyed it !!!!

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

The Poly is a great choice. Rooms are huge and will provide enough room for a party of five. There also is a great pool with waterslide, beach, good restaurants there and at other monorail resorts, the monorail, and boats. From the Poly or any monorail resort, you have the most freedom, meaning transportation and fireworks from that particular resort.

Upvote 0

Boomdog15

Not that weird at all. We have stayed at quite a few of the resorts and she doesn't want to stay at the GF. She says it lacks the Disney feel the others have and is just too stuffy.

We have 5 and our fav is Yacht Club followed by Beach Club and Poly.

Upvote 0

kfergdisney

Original Poster
We stayed there last time to try it out ... The cabins were great for room size - Seperate bedroom with a Full and bunkbed .... then the living room had a pull down. It's nice to put the kids to sleep and you can still watch TV in the living room. Big deck out front and oh so quiet .. I stayed home one day sick and it was so peaceful .... rented a golf cart a couple of days to run around ... really enjoyed it !!!!

We were leaning more towards this only because it was something different. Have they been updated at all?

Upvote 0

Pan

We are also a family of five and have had this same dillemma. I think your kids are still young enough to try POR. Each room has 2 double beds and a trundle bed. This is basically no more than a matress on the floor. I wouldn't want to sleep on it but it should work just fine for your 7yo. Otherwise the Poly and Beach Club are great options. We stayed there the last 2 trips as are kids are getting older, but we always enjoyed staying at POR or POFQ.

Upvote 0

acishere

Fort Wilderness is your best bet solely for the fact that all the kids get their own bed. You can sleep in the murphy bed and get to sleep in a separate room from them even!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom