Best Places to Get Frames for Attraction Posters

WDWFigment

Original Poster
So I purchased the 27 x 36 "On Demand" poster of Tomorrowland at Art of Disney on our November trip, but since then it's sat in its tube because it's so expensive to buy a frame and mat that large.

I've heard some people get frames for these at Michael's when they find 40% off coupons in their newspapers--about how much does the frame cost then?

I also found a site-- www.frameusa.com --that seems to have reasonably priced frames, but it's a wholesaler, so you need to buy at least $100 of frames (or face a surcharge). Not only that, but the frames use styrene instead of glass, and a poster in a different thread reported having problems with the site.

So what do you attraction-poster-buyers do? I'm looking for something somewhat classly, so I'd rather avoid a cheap poster frame, but I don't want to break the bank, either. Please advise!

bluefaery

So I purchased the 27 x 36 "On Demand" poster of Tomorrowland at Art of Disney on our November trip, but since then it's sat in its tube because it's so expensive to buy a frame and mat that large.

I've heard some people get frames for these at Michael's when they find 40% off coupons in their newspapers--about how much does the frame cost then?

I also found a site-- www.frameusa.com --that seems to have reasonably priced frames, but it's a wholesaler, so you need to buy at least $100 of frames (or face a surcharge). Not only that, but the frames use styrene instead of glass, and a poster in a different thread reported having problems with the site.

So what do you attraction-poster-buyers do? I'm looking for something somewhat classly, so I'd rather avoid a cheap poster frame, but I don't want to break the bank, either. Please advise!

The prices for frames at Micheal's vary per size. The 40% off coupon are normally for a non sale item and you can't use them for custom framing jobs. If you need a custom framing job Michael's has a 50% off custom framing sale almost every other month. Keep an eye out for it.

Tiggerfanatic

Read those Michael's coupons very carefully and make sure the discount is for the whole framing job, not just the frame. I took a piece of needlework to be framed, along with a 50% coupon, and found out that it only covered the actual frame, not the matting or blocking or the glass. Cost me a small fortune before I was done.

canuckCM

I get my attraction posters done at Costco! Thay have this thing called Plak-it. Im sure places other than Costco offer it. Its hard to explain how it works so check out their site. Ive gotten 5 posters done this way now and they all look great! Heres a link:

http://www.plak-it.com/how.php

EDIT the Tomorrowland poster is one of the posters I had 'plakd', looks awesome!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You pretty much have 2 options. Buy a premade frame and stick the poster in it or get it custom framed.

Custom framing is more expensive but you will never regret paying the extra money for it. You poster will look better and stay in pristine condition almost indefinitely. In my office at work I have a 27x41 one sheet for Star Trek: First Contact. It is over 12 years old and it still looks as good as the day I got it. At home I have a 27x41 one sheet of the coveted "Revenge" of the Jedi poster that is 26 years old and again it still looks like it did when it was new in 1982.

On the flip side my daughters have a few framed posters that were just put into cheep frames. They are all less that 5 years old and all look like crap. They are faded, sagging and wrinkling.

When Michale's runs their 40%-50% off custom framing promotion you will spend between $80-$120 to have a 24x36 poster done (price will depend on glass and frame) and it is worth every penny.

Rob562

Other options include making your own frames. I know Michael's and AC Moore sell a line of frame pieces that conenct together to create custom sizes. You just buy the length for each side, and assemble them together. Of course then you have to cut your own mat, and get a piece of glass to fit the frame...

-Rob

Dsnyguy75

If you're interested, I do custom framing for a hobby. I'm in Alabama now. If you want just a single mat with a decent wood frame, I can do it inexpensively for you. Just PM me and let me know.

stankly182

I bought a Haunted Mansion poster at The Art of Disney , and I had it custom framed at Hobby Lobby ( local crafts store). It pays to get customed frames, I picked a red matte, and I found a really cool black wood frame with red paint splotches ( that look like blood splatter, morbid I know, but it looked cool with the vintage Haunted Mansion poster). Hobby Lobby also has half off sales on custom framing every now and then, so I went during one of those weeks, and I got the whole thing for about $80. Custom framing is the way to go.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
You pretty much have 2 options. Buy a premade frame and stick the poster in it or get it custom framed.

Custom framing is more expensive but you will never regret paying the extra money for it. You poster will look better and stay in pristine condition almost indefinitely. In my office at work I have a 27x41 one sheet for Star Trek: First Contact. It is over 12 years old and it still looks as good as the day I got it. At home I have a 27x41 one sheet of the coveted "Revenge" of the Jedi poster that is 26 years old and again it still looks like it did when it was new in 1982.

On the flip side my daughters have a few framed posters that were just put into cheep frames. They are all less that 5 years old and all look like crap. They are faded, sagging and wrinkling.

When Michale's runs their 40%-50% off custom framing promotion you will spend between $80-$120 to have a 24x36 poster done (price will depend on glass and frame) and it is worth every penny.

After giving it serious thought, I have to say, you're right.

I want to be able to display this in my house when I'm older, so I should spend the extra money now.

That said, two things concern me--I don't yet know the color scheme of my future house. Thus I don't know if I should get dark or light wood for the frame. Second, the poster has small ripples in it (barely noticeable), I think this is an inherent result of the on demand printing--will these be noticeable if it's professionally framed? I see no point in getting this professionally framed if it will be look poor regardless.

If it will look fine, I still have to resolve the first concern. Either I get it done later (as in years from now) once I have the house, or just guess and hope for the best later. To add to my dilemma, Michael's has 50% off custom framing (entire order) right now...

Any thoughts?

Cynderella

I want to be able to display this in my house when I'm older, so I should spend the extra money now.

That said, two things concern me--I don't yet know the color scheme of my future house. Thus I don't know if I should get dark or light wood for the frame. Second, the poster has small ripples in it (barely noticeable), I think this is an inherent result of the on demand printing--will these be noticeable if it's professionally framed? I see no point in getting this professionally framed if it will be look poor regardless.

If it will look fine, I still have to resolve the first concern. Either I get it done later (as in years from now) once I have the house, or just guess and hope for the best later. To add to my dilemma, Michael's has 50% off custom framing (entire order) right now...

Any thoughts?

Wow! Wish my husband cared that much about frames and color schemes in our house! :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
I think the ripples can be pulled out if you have it dry mounted. Talk to the person doing the framing and they should be able to tell you. If they can't go some where else.

Personally I would match the frame to the poster and not your room. Most of my frames are black metal but we have a few of the pre-framed pin sets whose frame matched the pin set and they do not really seem out of place, to me at least.

I'll see if I can snap a picture of this mixture a little later and you can see if you like it or not.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Here is the picture I spoke of.

P1170243.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Veering OT here, sorry but what have you got going on with that conduit that jumps off the wall, can I ask?
It is actually for my surround sound speakers. I bought my house from a tract builder that would not change even the most minor detail. They would not even let me go in and pre-wire for speakers. Unfortunately my living room has a vaulted ceiling and a 4-ply girder truss just to the left of the right side speakers so thee was no way I could wire them after the fact. My solution was to build a square frame out of conduit and suspend them from the ceiling with steel cables. The speaker wires are run through the conduit. The speaker mounts are made from flexible sprinkler connectors reinforced with copper grounding wire so I can bend then in any direction.

P1170354.JPG

P1170355.JPG

P1170356.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom