Best onsite for teen and toddlers?

sheryl2007

:wave: I am new and this is my first thread ,I apologize if this has been talked to death, but here goes;We are planning a trip and want to know the best place to take 2 teenagers and 2 under 4yo ?? :lookaroun We have been to the All Stars and to CS, YC, what is everyone else's onpinion? Any thoughts ?

Buckeye

I'll put a plug in for my favorite resort the Wilderness Lodge. I know my young children (5 and 2) loved it when we were there two years ago. I also think it is "cool" enough that teens would enjoy it. My wife was not wild about staying there two years ago (prior to the trip). She wondered why spend so much to stay in a "Log Cabin"? Well, now it is a struggle to get her to want to try any other resort. This wasn't the first time we stayed in a deluxe either. My wife and I like the WL even better than the Grand Floridian which is where we stayed on our honeymoon. Although the WL is our favorite, I don't think there are too many "bad" choices when staying "onsite". Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We also love the WL. I have 2 girls (16 & 10) and they love the pool and slide, the arcade and the Roarin' Forks snack bar. The lobby is great fun for the little ones to explore, make sure you get the Hidden Mickey Hunt sheet at the desk. There are plenty of things to keep everyone occupied.

My kids like the volcano pool at the Poly, but didn't like walking outside at night to get snacks (and they got lost on the way back to our building).
We are trying the Boardwalk Inn this year and they are excited about all that has to offer.

As was said earlier, I don't think you can go wrong with a Disney resort. :wave:

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

I agree that all of the resorts have something to offer for both older and younger children. If I had to pick one it would probably be the Poly. The teens would enjoy it because of the tropical feeling and the younger ones would like O'hana's character breakfast. The whole family could enjoy the volcano pool as well. Add in the convienence and proximity to the TTC and MK and its a real winner!

Good Luck!!

Upvote 0
We just stayed at the Beach Club Villas this past Jan/Feb. We had a great time. I think both teens and young ones would like Stormalong Bay. Proximity to 2 parks is great as well. It is very easy to go to Epcot or MGM for just an hour or two and come back to your resort...The Beach Club added a quick service market where you can pick up sandwiches, soup, etc and The Boardwalk Bakery added lunch items too. This helps fill in the previous lack of quick service eateries in the Epcot resort area....

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Upon reading your post again, it appears you will have at least 5, (and maybe 6?) people traveling with you.

Your choices are pretty limited right there - unless you get two rooms. The cost of THAT could REALLY limit where you stay!

That aside.....

Why not give the teens a guide book and let THEM decide where they want to stay?!?!? They will probably think it's cool you asked, and will then share some ownership in the decision, which will positively influence how much they love "the resort THEY selected"! :lol:

There's almost never a bad reason for sharing the planning of a vacation with the rest of your family. They will feel like they helped, and it will take the burden off your shoulders of having to gamble on what they might like.

I'd be curious to see what they pick... and also if the younger ones have any "favorites" from looking at the pictures.

Get your self a travel book (Birnbaums, Passporter, etc.) and let the gang decide with you!

HAVE FUN!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

sheryl2007

Original Poster
:kiss: thanks everyone for the input so far, there will 6 of us, we usually have to get 2 rooms , which does get pricey, does anyone have any solutions to this problem? I also am not fond of splitting us up, but sometimes we have no choice.

Upvote 0

Pongo

Might I suggest the Contemporary? This is my favorite of the Monorail resorts and I think teens would love it, being a teen myselt. The pool has a great slide, the fourth floor is VERY cool, and you can't go wrong with escalators and revolving doors. A character restaurasnt AND a nice sit-down hotel on the top floor (which provides great views of the sunset and Wishes) are some of the restaraunts. It has one of the biggest arcades of all the resorts. The nighttime water light parade whatever-majig goes by every night (very retro-cool). You can rent boats and there's a nice little café type thingy on the lobby level so you don't have to worry about the kids venturing far to get food. If the kiddos get bored, they could take the monorail over to the Polynesian or Grand Floridian to explore or swim. Epcot is reachable from the TTC, which is just down the monorail tracks, and MGM is right outside Epcot's rear gates (after a walk through the Boardwalk first). It's a great hotel.

Phew. That was intense. Hope I helped!

Upvote 0

maelstrom

I vote for the Contemporary. I have to agree with Mad (tigsmom) about getting lost at the Poly; it is not very well lit at night and it is very easy to get lost! Also have to agree with Brer Stitch; ask your kids where they want to stay! Every time we go on a trip, I choose where we stay. My parents like that it's on my shoulders if I pick somewhere I end up not liking (like the Wilderness Lodge).

Upvote 0

Testtrack321

I vote Contemporary or Polly for two reasons: proximity to MK, & proximity to Epcot montorail and TTC. At the TTC, you can get ANYWHERE fast. You have the monorails going to two close parks, and each hotle has great things to do for the kids!

Next vote would be Beach Club for the pool, and the proximity to Epcot & Disney Studios.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
My thoughts are either Y&BC or Poly/Contemporary.

Other people mentioned good things about each, Y&BC may have the edge on the pool situation. At Y&BC the teens (and you) can walk to MGM or Epcot which is really convenient to venture off on their own. Likewise, at the monorail resorts, they have easy access to MK and Epcot and the ride home is easy.

Get a couple of walkie-talkies.

If you want to try to get the whole group in one room, check out the villa's at Boardwalk or a number of other DVC sites.

Upvote 0

DanStat

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

I would say AKL. My sister and I both love it. It would be cool enough for the teens, buit quiet enough for the toddler. You would enjoy it as well.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

sheryl2007 said:
:kiss: thanks everyone for the input so far, there will 6 of us, we usually have to get 2 rooms , which does get pricey, does anyone have any solutions to this problem? I also am not fond of splitting us up, but sometimes we have no choice.

OK...I'll be the one to say it: RENT A VACTION HOME off WDW Property! :eek: I know, I know....but calm down!

Ideally, Disney would have a neighborhood full of these things available but they don't. They hold anywhere from 3-12 people and most have their own private pools, master suites, numerous bathrooms, full kitchen, garage, and BBQ areas.

The young kids can be inside sleeping while the rest of the family swims and hangs out downstairs.

For the price, the value can't be beat...YOU ARE GETTING A WHOLE HOUSE! Nobody ever dares to suggest these, but the more I read and write about them, the more they seem like the best deal for families going to WDW!

Seriously, check it out:

http://www.floridasunvacationhomes.com/property_vh.asp?CatID=3&ID=11554&AD=6/12/2005&DD=6/19/2005

This is the first one I blindly clicked on from a Google search. 4 Bedrooms, 3 full baths, pool, etc.....for only $1463 a week! There are TONS more listed on many other websites. This one was my first click. Do your own search for "ORLANDO VACATION RENTAL HOMES" and see what you can find.

Why would anyone with larger familes NOT do this??? :veryconfu

Upvote 0

Tinkrbell

BRER STITCH said:
Why not give the teens a guide book and let THEM decide where they want to stay?!?!? They will probably think it's cool you asked, and will then share some ownership in the decision, which will positively influence how much they love "the resort THEY selected"! :lol:
That's exactly what my mom did when we were there last Easter. She said it had to be a value resort. I really wanted to stay at Pop Century, my sister wanted to stay at All Star: Sports, & my brother didn't care. We ended up at Pop.

Upvote 0
sheryl2007 said:
Thanks, I thought you had to be a member of the DVC to use those properties.
You do not need to be a member to book a DVC property room. If they have rooms available, they will book for you. For 6 people you could get a 2 bedroom at the Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, etc....On the downside, they are pricey. On the upside, in the 1 and 2 bedrooms, you have a full kitchen. You have a washer/dryer; you have a jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom. In the 2 bedroom the master and 2nd bedroom are separated by the living room making for more privacy. The BCVs have a dvd player in the living room.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

olive10tails

Animal Kingdom Lodge

It is a quiet lodge with appeal for everyone of all ages. It's as though you are at a theme park and they have lots of activities and learning sessions day and night. You can look out on the savannah at night with night vision goggles, and the pool is open 24 hours. The animals are amazing and the atmosphere is very relaxing after a day at the parks. I have no stress when we stay there. The food is great, too!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I have to agree that a vacation home might be the best solution for you. We've rented them every year when we go to visit family down there, and they ar truly a good deal. Last year we had 10 people sharing a 6 bedroom, 4 bathroom home for a week for $1400. Of course you also need to rent a car (figure 400+ for a minivan), but you save a lot on food, and you have your own pool and hot tub, laundry facilities, and the kids all have their own space. If you feel you must stay on property and $ is not an issue, I'd recommend the beach club - the pool is perfect for all ages, and you're close to MGM asnd Epcot. You might even want to think about spending half of the tripm at a value resort then a couple of nights at a more expensive one.
The other possibility is the cabins at Fort Wilderness. I believe that they sleep 6, but that could be difficulat with only one bathroom.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom