Best ocean beach, near WDW??

gjpjtj

We are leaving for WDW in 8 days:sohappy: , and I am thinking of going to the Ocean while we are in Florida. We have never done this before, as we usually don't leave the parks that much.

Does anyone have any advice as to what beaches are nicest, and family friendly? Also approximate travel times.(I realize it may take over an hour).
Thanks!!!:)

TTFN-Tiggger

I have not gone to both. My family has. You have Cocoa Beach just over 1 hour east of Orlando. You will find Ron Jon's Largest surf shop there also. Or about 1.5 hours w/sw to Tampa Bay. Rent come umbrellas and such on the beach. They did prefer going to Tampa Bay to spend the day - the gulf was glorious. Either way I don't think you could go wrong.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

I like Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach on the Atlantic side. About 1 & 1/2 hrs from WDW.

Are you staying overnight or just driving over for the day? If staying the night, I now of a really nice place (family oriented) in Daytona.

Have fun!!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We always spend time on the Gulf Coast... Siesta Key, Anna Maria Island..

Much nicer (IMHO) than the east coast and less crowded. :wave:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

tigsmom said:
We always spend time on the Gulf Coast... Siesta Key, Anna Maria Island..

Much nicer (IMHO) than the east coast and less crowded. :wave:
We love Anna Maria island too - and there's a great ice cream shop there - maybe we've seen you there, Mad!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Nemo14 said:
We love Anna Maria island too - and there's a great ice cream shop there - maybe we've seen you there, Mad!

Hmmm.... we hang out at the Gulf Drive Cafe or Cafe on the Beach.
If its ice cream then we go to Tyler's on Cortez on the mainland, right before the bridge.

*ps... should have said this earlier... Coquina Beach is my favorite. *

Upvote 0

napnet

Cocoa (1 hr) is always nice but you can get away from tourists by heading south of Cocoa to Melbourne beaches (1 hr). Take 528 (Bee/Beach Line) to I-95 for both. Tampa beaches are nice as well but it can be 2 hours away with traffic. I-4 is not the most friendly interstate for traffic.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

tigsmom said:
Hmmm.... we hang out at the Gulf Drive Cafe or Cafe on the Beach.
If its ice cream then we go to Tyler's on Cortez on the mainland, right before the bridge.

*ps... should have said this earlier... Coquina Beach is my favorite. *
My niece's shower was at Cafe on the Beach!

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

gjpjtj said:
We are leaving for WDW in 8 days:sohappy: , and I am thinking of going to the Ocean while we are in Florida. We have never done this before, as we usually don't leave the parks that much.

Does anyone have any advice as to what beaches are nicest, and family friendly? Also approximate travel times.(I realize it may take over an hour).
Thanks!!!:)

We're leaving a week from tonight and we'll be staying at Pop, too. Hope to see you there...but not at the beach :wave: .

Upvote 0

MissM

Bleck! I'll never understand why people always recommend Clearwater beach. We have 22 miles of continuous white sand beaches here and everyone says Clearwater. It's like the armpit of the beaches in the area. No sand, small beach, crowded with bars and just not very nice.

If you head to our (Gulf Coast) side, go a little further south of Clearwater. Places like Reddington Shores, Indian Rocks or Madeira Beach. This link will show you more of the beaches along the coast. You can basically drive all the way down and stop where you want along the shore.

http://www.tampabaybeaches.com/madeirabeach.htm

On the other coast, I've been to Cocoa and it was nice. Daytona's not my thing since it's busier and they let cars drive on the beach. (Gross and wrong in my opinion.)

The Gulf beachs are warmer and calmer water then the Atlantic side.
-m

Upvote 0

Caseyis8

Could someone tell me what hotel on Daytona Beach is the best for a family? My son really wants to go to the beach where you can drive dune buggies and cars on. He also wants to see the turtles, so if someone also knows the best time of year for viewing the turtles it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

Gucci65 said:
I like Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach on the Atlantic side. About 1 & 1/2 hrs from WDW.

Are you staying overnight or just driving over for the day? If staying the night, I now of a really nice place (family oriented) in Daytona.

Have fun!!

Oceanside, New Smyrna Beach is more family friendly and is both nice and relaxing. :wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Caseyis8 said:
Could someone tell me what hotel on Daytona Beach is the best for a family? My son really wants to go to the beach where you can drive dune buggies and cars on. He also wants to see the turtles, so if someone also knows the best time of year for viewing the turtles it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Can't answer your questions ,but would like to chime in about driving on the beaches...I know its been going on for years but its really a dangerous proposition, especially when they are crowded. In recent years they have had a few people run over and some killed by cars driving on the beach. IMHO, its not a very family friendly thing.

just my 2 cents. :wave:

Upvote 0

queenie0888

Melbourne beaches heading south are very nice. Not tourist type beaches like Daytona or Cocoa. Much slower pace. If you are willing to take the drive head down to Sebastian Inlet, it is a state park. Very nice and beautiful. Good chance to see some Manatees. You can fish off the peir and there is a resteraunt right there to grab a bite to eat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom