Best Moderate Resort

JOSHG

Hey guys my wife and I are planning a trip for our sons first birthday and we've decided we're going to stay at a moderate resort but trying to decide which one. Which moderate resort do you prefer? We're leaning towards Coronado Springs but wanted to get some input.

Xethis

I always jump in & vote for Coronado Springs any chance I get, as its me & my wife's favorite resort hands down.

The Pepper Market is awesome, so many different types of food all in one place. The Maya Grill never disappoints either! If you're a runner/jogger the lake itself is about 1 mi around, great for an early morning run. The main pool complex is awesome & has a huge hot tub. The quiet pools are nice & centrally located to each of the 3 housing areas (The Casitas, the Cabanas & the Ranchos.) There's a clean laundry facility and a gym. The rooms were all refurbished last year too. You can also just chill & have drinks along the waters edge at the Laguna Bar. Unlike some of the other resorts that only have 1 bus stop, Coronado Springs has 4, and the busses are dedicated to just that resort, so you don't spend extra time stopping at other resorts.. I've also read that there are regular 'shuttles' in the form of golf carts you can wave down for a lift around the resort, but I have yet to confirm this. We always try to stay in the Casitas section, which is closest to the main building.

My wife likes the fact that it isn't laiden with screaming kids & the theming is not as 'in your face' as some of the other resorts too. As a matter of fact we'll be checking into the Coronado Springs in 35 days!

Either way you choose to go, have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

goofykt

Coronado Springs is our favorite too. Out of all the Values and Mods, I think it has the most relaxing atmosphere. I like to go for runs around the lake in the morning (gorgeous!) while my husband hits the fitness center (it's the only Mod that has one).

The Maya Grill is good, but the Pepper Market always seems poorly organized every time we eat there. The food is good, but the staff always has a hard time getting everything coordinated.

The bus system is one of the best we've experienced. We've never waited more than 15 minutes or so.

Upvote 0

ricesk

I really LOVE the Caribbean Beach Resort...especially with the new pool. I love the theming, music, food court, and Banana Cabana bar outside the pool. It's like a tropical vacation within WDW.

:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

MickeyKimmy

I guess it just depends on what you like but my husband and I did not like CSR at all. I thought the theme was boring and the resort felt very convention-like. POFQ is a nice resort with great theming and it is quite small and easy to get around if that matters to you.

My favorites are POR and CBR. Love the theming at both and they are both expansive and beautiful to walk around. I will say though last time we were at POR in Sept. 09 it was starting to look a little run-down and the rooms really needed a freshing up. Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

I post this in a thread a couple of days ago:

~My vote is for the Coronado Springs! It offers Delux options, has great dining, a club for adults, a lake with a marina, wonderful pools, a Gym, Spa and Salon, and some of the best bus tranportation of any resort. BTW its beautiful! ~

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

we like coronado springs a lot and have stayed there a few times. our favorite moderate is POFQ. we love new orleans and it's smaller than the other moderates. we have never had complaints about CS, so if that's the one you guys like i say go for it.

tracy

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

I'd recommend CSR! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers some great amenities at a mod price.

I like:

CSR has queen beds while the other mods have doubles like the values. The rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous.

CSR has a fitness center, spa, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club.

CSR has a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods.

CSR has the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great.

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
we stayed at cbr last year and loved it, next year we are staying at either pofq or csr, I'm leaning towards csr because of the mexican theming and I've heard lots of good stuff about it.

Upvote 0

DisneyNut7578

I guess it just depends on what you like but my husband and I did not like CSR at all. I thought the theme was boring and the resort felt very convention-like. POFQ is a nice resort with great theming and it is quite small and easy to get around if that matters to you.

My favorites are POR and CBR. Love the theming at both and they are both expansive and beautiful to walk around. I will say though last time we were at POR in Sept. 09 it was starting to look a little run-down and the rooms really needed a freshing up. Have a great trip! :wave:

I totally agree. CSR to me seems liek a convention hall for business people. It just takes you out of the realm of "Disney zone" to see people walking to their meetings in suits...POFQ is smal, which actually is somewhat of a benefit. Less walking. Th eonly thing about POFQ is quick service is very small. Don't plan on eating there. And there is no table service.

POR and CBR are the best! It's the only two I'll stay at.

Upvote 0

amaley01

The mods are the best & we love each for different reasons.

I think CSR has the edge for the same reasons already mentioned. The amenities & renovated rooms are fabulous. My vote is for queen beds, the pool slide, bus service, food court & don't forget those hammocks ;)

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Honestly it all comes down for the theme and style that you are looking for. For Me and the DWF it's PORS and next CB. We felt to convention like in CSR. Now on the flip side CSR does have a really cool pool, water slide and hot tub area.

Upvote 0

staceycrouton

We love Port Orleans French Quarter. It's the smallest of the moderate resorts (about 1/2 as many rooms as the others) so it's easy to get around. The theme is wonderful and it's a very relaxing resort. It never seems crowded and the food court does everything that we need it to do. Although it does not have a table service restaurant, a quick walk over to PORS takes care of that. Our kids love the pool and especially enjoy taking the boat over to Downtown Disney. For our family, this is the perfect moderate resort.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

Many resorts at WDW are convention resorts, that doesn't make them any less "Disney". The GF, Cont, BW, Y&BC, Swan & Dolphin are all convention resorts. CSR is just the only mod convention resort.

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Many resorts at WDW are convention resorts, that doesn't make them any less "Disney". The GF, Cont, BW, Y&BC, Swan & Dolphin are all convention resorts. CSR is just the only mod convention resort.

I hear what your saying, but it's up to the individual to decide. I feel like I didn't get away from business when staying at CSR because of the conventions going on. So for me it did make it a little less Disney

Upvote 0

SuzieN

:)Honestly, this topic is just too subjective. All of the mods have their fans so they must all be nice, right?! It really comes down to the theming you prefer (unless size is an issue - POFQ is MUCH smaller than the others). I, personally, love the wonderful theming and lush grounds of POR - but that is MY preference. You really need to look at lots of pictures and choose the one that appeals the most to YOU. Happy planning!!!

Upvote 0
The first time my wife and I stayed on property (and without the kids) we stayed at CS. Very nice and thoroughly enjoyable. Nice pool area with the Mayan Pyramid theme. There's a bar right near the pool. The grounds are lush and you can see around the entire lake.

We've since stayed at POR, mostly out of necessity since we have three kids, and won't spend the $$ for a deluxe. POR is nice too. It's harder to find you way around, as you are surrounded by vegetation. I didn't like the pool area nearly as well as CS, due to themeing and layout. Seems harder to keep your eye on your kids at POR.

We've visited other resorts, but in the end, it doesn't matter. It seems each Disney property has it's own charm and you will likely have a fantastic time anywhere you go on property. Hope you have a good one!!

Upvote 0

Pete C

I've stayed at POFQ and CSR, and we liked POFQ a lot better. It's all personal preference obviously, but we liked the higher quality theming at POFQ. From the central hub exterior buildings, CSR looks cheaply themed by Disney standards. The colors and overall look just don't really do it for me. I love the lake and pool area though. POFQ on the other hand is outright beautiful. Walking the grounds you feel almost like you are in a walkable historic district with all the flowers, fountains, and parks. Another neat touch at POFQ is taking the boat to Downtown Disney. This is a fun little diversion all by itself and nice to see the resorts from a different perspective. Top it off with the prettiest lobby of the moderates.

Moving on to the rooms, while we preferred the theming in the rooms at POFQ over CSR, one thing that I can't disagree on is the beds. These double beds in Moderate resorts across WDW have to go. They should ALL be upgraded to queens like CSR. However, it sounds like you just have 1 very small child. Why not go with the king bed room and bring a crib? Or perhaps the sofa folds out?

On the food we also found CSR to be lacking by comparison. The pepper market was very disappointing taste-wise and it is more expensive than any other moderate cafeteria! $15 per person? Forget that...the food is just not worth that price. POFQ on the other hand, while not setting the world on fire with taste was just better quality. Breakfast was actually quite good!

Last but not least, the bus situation. POFQ is the first stop on the Port Orleans loop, so if you head to the bus stop in front of the main lobby, you are almost guaranteed to be sitting down on your trip to every park.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

CSR is by far my favorite moderate resort!!! We have stayed there several times! Many people complain that is a huge resort and they are right, so if you do decide to stay there, I suggest that you make a room request to stay in either the Cabana section or the Casita section. Both are close to El Centro, the dig site pool and buses.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom