Best Disney World Planning Books?

Saintsfan75

Original Poster
Hey guys, I usually buy the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World book before going on my trip. Is this the best of the newest ones out right now?

Looking for great tips and stuff. Suggestions?

MickeyMitch

I'm a big fan of the Birnbaum's Walt Disney World…guide. While I have used the Unofficial before, I prefer Birnbaum. It really points out every detail about the resorts, restaurants, parks, et cetera you would ever need to know and shells out a couple coupons. It relays perfect times to go, offers advice regarding children…all in all, I'd stick with a good ol' Birnbaum. I buy one every year.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I like the Passporter. I think that it has lots of detailed info from the view point of an actual guest. I used to love Birnbaum's but it is the "official" one and seems to give the Disney line. Another thing I like about the passporter is the planning guide and the journaling tools in the back.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The Unofficial Guide is by far the best. You don't need any other guidebook. The Birnbaum book reads like a press release and doesn't give you the details you need (nor does it tell you what to avoid).

wolf359

The PassPorter is my go-to planning guide for a Disney World vacation. It is well laid out, comprehensive without being too long, and usually more up-to-date than other planning books because they go to press later in order to catch any last minute developments or changes.

It is the perfect book for when you're actively planning a trip.

The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World is another great book. It's well written, has plenty of great information, very interesting background information of the parks and attractions, and is stuffed with beautiful color pictures.

It is the perfect book for when you're still dreaming of your next trip.

Dad 2 M & M

The PassPorter is my go-to planning guide for a Disney World vacation. It is well laid out, comprehensive without being too long, and usually more up-to-date than other planning books because they go to press later in order to catch any last minute developments or changes.

It is the perfect book for when you're actively planning a trip.

The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World is another great book. It's well written, has plenty of great information, very interesting background information of the parks and attractions, and is stuffed with beautiful color pictures.

It is the perfect book for when you're still dreaming of your next trip.
Both The Passporter and Complete Guides are great books to read and share with other family members while planning. I would use both as a visual supplement to the web.

Buckeye

If you have kids (or maybe even if you don't!) you may love Guide to the Magic for Kids. It is bright, fun, and interactive. Not quite as detailed as Unofficial Guide, but a very nice compliment.

Texzilla

I love the Passporter Guide also, been a big life saver on past trips. Even though I knew I'd have to buy the 2011 eventually, I got the 2010 edition to start planning my upcoming trip in October. But I'm REALLY disappointed. They've changed the pages from just regular paper to this glossy stuff. Impossible to write notes on the pages without it smearing all over the place. Highlighters are the worst now. Even if you wait till they dry, if you close the book, then reopen, all the highlights from one page are now messing up the page across from it. Luckily the orange pocket pages in the back are the same so that's still a useful as before. I still recommend it over other guides, but not as much as I used to.

captainkidd

Here's my opinions of the guidebooks (I think I have them all.)

Birnbaum - Easiest to read. Not much detail about resorts, but better than the Unofficial Guide. Lacks info about many attractions.

Unofficial Guide - Only for vacation commandos. The resort information on room location is good, but is seriously lacking any details about the resorts themselves. Good attraction information, but the book is just too much for anyone wanting an easy to read planner.

Frommers - How this book gets published is a mystery to me. It's horrible, opinionated and lacks any useful information.

Fodors - Tries to be detailed, but contains many mistakes.

Complete Guide To WDW - My favorite. Has great photos of all the resorts, rooms, attractions, and just enough information about everything. You can tell this book is written by fans of WDW, while the rest seem to be written by travel "experts".

Passporter - 2nd favorite. Has very useful details about all the resorts and attractions.

mickeysshoes

Here's my opinions of the guidebooks (I think I have them all.)

Birnbaum - Easiest to read. Not much detail about resorts, but better than the Unofficial Guide. Lacks info about many attractions.

Unofficial Guide - Only for vacation commandos. The resort information on room location is good, but is seriously lacking any details about the resorts themselves. Good attraction information, but the book is just too much for anyone wanting an easy to read planner.

Frommers - How this book gets published is a mystery to me. It's horrible, opinionated and lacks any useful information.

Fodors - Tries to be detailed, but contains many mistakes.

Complete Guide To WDW - My favorite. Has great photos of all the resorts, rooms, attractions, and just enough information about everything. You can tell this book is written by fans of WDW, while the rest seem to be written by travel "experts".

Passporter - 2nd favorite. Has very useful details about all the resorts and attractions.

Not sure I have ever seen this book!! Will have to head to the book store and check it out!!!!

epcotWSC

I think we normally pick up Birnbaum's guide. Although, I don't really think we use it all that much. There's so much information on this site along with a few others (plus having already been to Disney multiple times).

bjlc57

well my brother.. I wouldn't steer you wrong.. I wouldn't give Bernboms to my worst enemy..

the Unofficial guide is all you need.. and yes we are DISNEY COMMANDO's..

my wife is the Sarge... and when the Sarge says MARCH .. YOU MARCH.. NOW... and there isn't any arguing.. if you want to argue , just stay home.. we will do fine without you..

trust me we will..

so .. this is all the book you will ever need.. I wish you well.. WHEN ARE YOU GOING AGAIN?

we are going to Las Vegas/ Grand Canyon this spring.. and I have been told that there is no room for a day trip to Disney Land.. :eek:

wolf359

When will the 2011 be out?? Should I wait for it or just get the 2010. We dont go till August so I have time....Honest opinon please!!!!

The 2011 Complete Guide and the 2011 Passporter are both coming the first week of February. I'd wait a couple weeks, especially if you aren't going until August.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom