Best Counter Service restaurants

lilclerk

Original Poster
Hello! My friends and I will be traveling to WDW very soon. We didn't get the dining plan because we didn't think we'd need it. Now we are kind of regretting it, though I really don't think we'd enjoy most of the table service restaurants anyway.

SO my question is, what are some of the best counter service restaurants that should not miss out on?

ZapperZ

1. Sunshine Seasons at The Land in Epcot
2. Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom
3. Columbia Boat House at Animal Kingdom

Zz.

coltow

Our favorites are:
Columbia Harbor House & Peco Bill's - MK
Liberty Inn & the Food Fair (the Land)- EPCOT
Tusker House - AK
Backlot Express - MGM

Also while at EPCOT, you can always shoot out the "back door" to Boardwalk and try ESPN Club. The sandwiches there are always a good bet.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Our Favorite in MK is definately Pecos Bill....the grilled chicken ranch wrap sandwich is a repeat request with our family and friends and is large enough for two children to split...comes with large bag of mini carrots....healthier option....will be interesting to see the healthy changes to come this year as they eliminate trans fats. Nice to have choices. Have always been able to get in and get food quickly. They also have a deluxe toppings bar for burgers. Good locale for those whom love the mountain rides!!! HAVE FUN!!!

I have found I enjoy letting the trip unfold and not have all the meals planned or priority seating. Some days you just have to let your stomach guide you....:p

lilclerk

Original Poster
I have found I enjoy letting the trip unfold and not have all the meals planned or priority seating. Some days you just have to let your stomach guide you....:p

Haha, yes, that's another thing I'm worried about. Over-planning. I haven't been in 3 years, and I'm going with two first-timers. We decided we'd rather spend as much time as possible in the parks rather than waiting to be seated at various table service restaurants. Plus we are all very picky. =\

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I have looked over all the menus on allears.net but I know that some are better than others, though they mostly all serve variations of the same things.

ALSO, I really do not eat that much, especially during the day (hectic work schedule doesn't allow me to take a lunch break, so I usually just have soup for lunch) Is there any way I (a 22-year-old) can order something small off the kids' menu? Or is that frowned upon?

doop

Pecos Bill at MK, Cosmic Rays at MK, Backlot Express in MGM, Rosie's All American Cafe in MGM, Sommerfest in Epcot, and Pizzafari in AK.

Lucky

Haha, yes, that's another thing I'm worried about. Over-planning. I haven't been in 3 years, and I'm going with two first-timers. We decided we'd rather spend as much time as possible in the parks rather than waiting to be seated at various table service restaurants. Plus we are all very picky. =\

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I have looked over all the menus on allears.net but I know that some are better than others, though they mostly all serve variations of the same things.

ALSO, I really do not eat that much, especially during the day (hectic work schedule doesn't allow me to take a lunch break, so I usually just have soup for lunch) Is there any way I (a 22-year-old) can order something small off the kids' menu? Or is that frowned upon?
Officially the kids' meals are only for kids. But if you order a kid's meal in a counter service restaurant, the cashier will not ask you where your kid is.

tigsmom

We don't usually make reservations either, but will for some dinner this time because its been getting harder & harder to just walk into places since they really push the dining plan.

We love Pecos Bill's in the MK as well as Cosmic Rays and Casey's dogs.
We always loved Tusker House in the AK, but it was scheduled to change over to a character buffet (as reported here in November)...does anybody know if this really happened?

We don't usually eat at MGM so I'm of no help there and we always do sit down in EPCOT so again, no help to you.

lilclerk

Original Poster
We don't usually make reservations either, but will for some dinner this time because its been getting harder & harder to just walk into places since they really push the dining plan.

The only table service restaurant we really want to try is Sci-Fi, and I've heard some not-so-great reviews on the food there =\ But it just seems like such fun.
So we'll probably see if we can get in for lunch one afternoon. If so, great. If not, no big.

Tiggerfanatic

Definitely Tusker House @ AK, followed by Columbia Harbor House in MK. I also enjoyed the Grilled Turkey & Cheese @ Backlot Express in MGM. Didn't do any counter service @ Epcot.

Nicole

We always loved Tusker House in the AK, but it was scheduled to change over to a character buffet (as reported here in November)...does anybody know if this really happened?

It has not. I was there last Friday.

Tusker House at AK is my absolute favorite
Cosmic Rays at MK is nice because there are several options (chicken, burgers or sandwiches) depending on which area you go to.
I like to get Fish 'n Chips at the UK in Epcot, and we all like the Electric Umbrella.
I also love the Figaro Fries at Pinocchio's Village Haus in Fantasyland, and their milkshakes are yummy too.

tigsmom

It has not. I was there last Friday.

Tusker House at AK is my absolute favorite
Cosmic Rays at MK is nice because there are several options (chicken, burgers or sandwiches) depending on which area you go to.
I like to get Fish 'n Chips at the UK in Epcot, and we all like the Electric Umbrella.
I also love the Figaro Fries at Pinocchio's Village Haus in Fantasyland, and their milkshakes are yummy too.

:sohappy:

Thanks Nicole! :wave:

Nicole

Glad to be of service...and oh how I hope it's not a true rumor, I would be heartbroken to have Tusker House change.

Epcot82Guy

As a bit of advice, I would actually advise trying to educate yourself as much on options for food rather than planning. This is a great way so that, when people get hungry, you can see what people are in the mood for. Plus, tell people options when you enter so they know what they are getting into.

MK will be burgers and fries. Since the Terrace is hit or miss, you can just go in knowing this. Having said that, the Hot Dogs at Casey's are great. Also, the snack foods can be wonderful (although much of that is nostalgia for us around here, I think). Dole Whips in Adventureland, Ice Cream or pastries along Main Street, etc. are all great candidates. If you have picky foodies, MK might be a great day to follow up with a resort meal. Between California Grill, 'Ohana, Artists' Pointe, or Kona Cafe (my personal favorites), you have some excellent options just off park site plust a chance to do some exploring for first timers.

Epcot is great for people in this boat. My sister and I were picky eaters as kids, but with completely opposite tastes. Therefore, my parents instituted an Epcot policy of sorts. We always did Epcot over one and a half days. The half day would have the Land. It has now gotten even more upscale and almost progressive in dining. I really like it. Again, picky foodies will be pleasantly surprised. Picky eaters may not. As for WS, we would stop by every country. There are small stalls almost everywhere, so people could pick and choose. We started with one piece of something and, if people wanted more, we went back. This way, it became a little bit of food from everywhere, and no one went away disappointed because they didn't like their food (they just had to wait until the next country - usually, if someone wasn't happy at, say Tangerine Cafe, they would get to pick a pastry at the Patisserie in France). If you want to stick to traditional meals, again, educate yourself on preferences. You can't go wrong with a nice batch of Fish & Chips in the UK. The pastries in France, Morocco, and Norway are wonderful. I also think the skewers in Japan (Yakitori) and the various sausages and wursts in Germany are pretty solid, too. Mexico and China are not as good to me, but this is a double edged sword. Again, if you have picky eaters, these provide some familiar tastes people can be happy with.

MGM and DAK both have some really nicer, upperscale stops. In MGM, check out the cafe attached to the Brown Derby or Studio Catering for some good sandwiches and foodie meals. The traditional Fare is all down Sunset Blvd. DAK is the other way. Both Flametree and Tusker House are not to be missed. WIth adventurous eaters, I would also suggest hopping over to Boma for dinner while you are there. It is top notch, and all you can eat!

coltow

The only table service restaurant we really want to try is Sci-Fi, and I've heard some not-so-great reviews on the food there =\ But it just seems like such fun.
So we'll probably see if we can get in for lunch one afternoon. If so, great. If not, no big.
We prefer the lunch menu to the dinner menu. The lunch menu has more sandwiches and burgers and the dinner menu doesn't. A couple years ago we went for dinner and mom had to special order a burger because it wasn't on the dinner menu. Try a late lunch that way it'll fill you up for awhile and is alot cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom