Best book on Walt Disney

lazyboy97o

I'm a fan of The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney and the American Way of Life by Steven Watts. It goes into how Disney influenced American culture. It seems to go mostly unnoticed in these discussions.

mharrington

I'm a fan of The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney and the American Way of Life by Steven Watts. It goes into how Disney influenced American culture. It seems to go mostly unnoticed in these discussions.

I like that book, too. I also like Bob Thomas' and Neal Gabler's books. There is also a book on Walt called "How To Be Like Walt", which alternately talks about Walt's life and describes how one can be like Walt in real life.

Magenta Panther

I like that book, too. I also like Bob Thomas' and Neal Gabler's books. There is also a book on Walt called "How To Be Like Walt", which alternately talks about Walt's life and describes how one can be like Walt in real life.

"How To Be Like Walt" is EXCELLENT! My second-fave Walt book next to Bob Thomas', which is the gold standard of Disney biographies.

Geppetto

What are the best books that deal with walt disney and the parks especially walt disney world. Also what are some good history of walt disney world books.

popcenturylover

Hiya! I've read several books on Walt, and IMO, the best, most accurate and trustworthy book by far is the one by Bob Thomas entitled "Walt Disney: An American Original". It is well-researched, unbiased (which is important; too many books about Walt have an axe to grind) and thorough.

By all means, avoid the recent book by Neal Gabler. Walt's daughter Diane had a very low opinion of it; she went so far as to scold the current Disney administration for going along with it. I have read it, and it seems to me that Gabler left out chunks of history in order to paint a particular type of picture of Walt, the kind of picture a certain political point of view loves. If you've ever watched Family Guy, you'll know what I mean. :rolleyes:
I totally agree with you about Bob Thomas' book. It was very informative & I actually enjoyed reading it. Most biographies & autobiographies bore me to death but not this one!

popcenturylover

I'm currently reading "Vault of Walt" the author worked with Walt for many years and tells some of the "inside" stories about Walt, the features, and the parks. It is OK.. but not the best.. thanks for this thread. I will be loading the American Original into my Kindle as soon as I am finished with the Vault.
I read this one also. It was ok but, repeated some of the info a couple of times.

FitzherbertFreak

Walt Disney: An American Original is by far my choice. Walt chose Bob Thomas himself to write his biography, so it's gotta be good (which it is).

jlsHouston

Disney War is awesome, but has very little to do with Walt. It chronicles the Eisner era, from Roy's boardroom coup to bring him in to his coup to get him out. Great commentary on Frank Wells, Michael Ovitz and Jeffery Katzenberg. If your interested in Disney in the 90's this is a must read.

I've read pretty much every book I've found on Walt or the Disney Company. The best biography of Walt by far is Walt Disney: An American Original.

Ive even read Walt Disney: Hollywoods Dark Prince by Marc Elliot. This is the book that started the rumor Walt was a communist. I read it to understand why some people feel the way they do about Walt.

I just read Disney Wars and loved it.

jlsHouston

I asked for this book for Christmas but never found it in my stocking! I shall get the Bob Thomas one I think instead.

I have 'DISNEYWAR' by James.B.Stewart but have never bothered reading it, anyone else read it? What did you think?

I loved it....

RonAnnArbor

Just beware: Realityland is actually not a book that someone high on Disney pixey dust will want to read -- its comprised of information about building the Magic Kingdom (and a bit about Epcot) that is comprised of public records from the media, law suits, and union records and grievances from the builders associations. Its a fascinating look at WDW, and what has been swept under the rug and hidden from the public since Day One.

Disney Wars is superb -- but it is not about Walt Disney....its a business book about Disney in the 90's and the business deals that were drawn to make it all possible -- what it cost in stocks, and to whom. Its a great great read -- if you are interested in business.

Walt Disney: An American Original is the best book about Walt Disney himself out there. And its a fast read.

EricJ

For kids, Bill Peet: an Autobiography gives a few recollections from the kid's-picture-book author (and Sword in the Stone screenwriter) on the travails of being one of Walt's in-house story artists, from the 30's up to the 60's.

216bruce

I received the Neal Gabler book as a graduation present this weekend. I know it is not a favored choice among folks here. So, should I return it and buy another one or give this one a chance?
By all means read it. I'm a huge Walt fan and really like this book A LOT. It can be nitpicked (what can't be?) on a few minor details but generally it's excellent and paints Walt as an honest-to-goodness human, which makes him even more admirable. I know Walt's daughter hated it but I really don't see why. He comes off as moody at times, driven and not easy to get along with. Who isn't? Anyway, read it and the Bob Thomas biography. If you want just the animated film creator story of him, get the Michael Barrier book.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I received the Neal Gabler book as a graduation present this weekend. I know it is not a favored choice among folks here. So, should I return it and buy another one or give this one a chance?

It's a lot more critical of Disney.. where the Bob Thomas is a bit softer. They don't all agree on different retellings. The Neal book just reads angry...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom